Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty excited about the first cook I do in it. Anyone got any good recipes to use?

This is my first pellet experience.

Share away!

·
Former RJ instigator
41,211 Posts
Pork butt or whole shoulder, unwrap, rinse it off with water, do a little trimming or not, rub it down liberally with your favorite rub, set to 275, put on rack and grab a beer, wrap with heavy foil when IT (internal temp) reaches about 180, continue cooking until IT reaches 210, let rest about 30-45 mins to cool off enough to handle, pull blade bone or knuckle, and pull that bitch apart, you can't fuck this up, they are virtually fool proof, especially so with a pellet grill, good luck.

·
Former RJ instigator
41,211 Posts
EDIT, what I like to do is smoke the butt or shoulder a day ahead of time and after I pull it off the heat, I will leave it wrapped in foil and wrap with two heavy towels and put it in a cooler overnight, it will still be plenty warm and ready to pull apart the next day.

I swear doing this does something magical to the meat, so moist and tender, I rarely do it any other way now.

·
Trolling the Trolls
15,005 Posts
Nice way to ruin two towels.....

I try to wrap the shoulder around 165-170 after 4-5 hours, then let it go until 210 or so, hopefully about that time my fire is dying in the fake egg. Then while it is wrapped in foil and the fake egg is slowly cooling down for several hours, the shoulder is "resting" I've taken a 4-5 hour nap doing this and wake up to the shoulder being 155-160 IT. Just make sure you drain the foil wrap into a pint measuring cup before unwrapping to add back later.

I don't go for the super deep dark bark of 225 temps. I got creosote that time. 260-275 on the one gauge, chug a Beast Ice or 6, and take a few naps.

Old pic from 2017, 7 hours and ready to wrap in foil....I was napping :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
I made a beef brisket few weeks ago. I cut it in half cause I was scared I would ruin 58 bucks in meat. It was incredible. You just have to be patient and plan ahead. We usually smoke all weekend. My wife likes the weekends, cause she just cooks a few sides.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Very nice! I just got and assembled a new Cuisinart Twin Oaks which has a pellet gril, a gas grill and a gas side burner on one chassis. Works great. Temp controller dials temps in perfectly in a few cycles after overshooting the first. Much better than I expected. I had looked at Pit Boss combo as well but it lacked that useful side burner.

Jim

·
Former RJ instigator
41,211 Posts
Nice way to ruin two towels.....
Nah, I use shop towels which are already stained or frizzled out, plus I triple wrap the meat in heavy foil to ensure no leaky mess afterwards, the good side effect is the cooler smells like bbq for a solid month.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I just bought a pitt boss yesterday.

Pretty cool, I've never smoked any food before, this will be a learning experience.

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,104 Posts
got a pit boss yesterday. it was a toss up between this one and a treager but got a 820 pro series pit boss...... used to do all my smoking on a bradley , but its old and ready for the dumpster.

i did not smoke with it yet, but did some drum sticks last night, and pretty darn good. went for the pit boss becuase of the sliding plate over the burner box, really like that flame grilled taste.

i can see this being my new favorite cooking item, love my fake egg for the charcoal and will always use it, but for a quick cook/smoke this might be the best thing yet.

will try some baby backs next week when i get time. supposedly this thing can hold 5-6 racks.

·
time to go racing yet ?
33,104 Posts
Owners be sure and report back
i did some filet's the other night.... fucking amazing taste, smoked for 45ish mins then finished off on a hot flame........ a few yrs ago i scoffed at these pellet grills, i like my lump charcoal and souse vide cooking of steaks. but this thing is amazing. mainly becuase its not a pain in the ass to use. turn it on, set temp and walk away. my bradley smoker was pretty fool proof but it could never get more than 225-250.... the pitt boss you can low smoke at 180, turn the knob to 450 and it goes there in a matter of 5 mins.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
soooo, should we be worried using wood pellets ?
No. not at all.
No more than if you had an offset that burned splits.
Just use quality pellets. (Lumberjack. Bear Mountain, cookingpellets. B&B )

I imagine the pellets manufactured for smoking meat undergo a different process as heating pellets don't create any smoke, but thanks for the video anyway.
Have you ever used a pellet smoker? They most certainly produce smoke. Its a much cleaner smoke than say an offset. Also, good quality pellets use no binders or oils and are completely safe to burn.

Reactions: 225digger

·
Trolling the Trolls
15,005 Posts
I imagine the pellets manufactured for smoking meat undergo a different process as heating pellets don't create any smoke, but thanks for the video anyway.
Heating pellets will produce smoke until the fire gets hot enough, such as gasifer like the Solo Stove does. Smoke is just unburnt fuel :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts