Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didnt have the right tolols to do rear brakes but almost got it done with a screwdriver and regular pliers. Last spring to do on top and was stretching it on with pliers and was almost there watching real closely when wam! removing pliers from eye socket!. Lesson learned! Anyone else humble enough to tell us there close call or screw up. Might safe someone some hardache....,ED

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I unlatched a trailer tuesday and didnt realize that what I had on it had shifted so that the weight was on the back. It flew up and hit me in the chest and knocked me down. Bruised my chest up pretty good.

·
and a little bent
2,277 Posts
Buddy in HS did the same thing on the rear brakes on his 69 Camaro -with vice grips on the spring pulling it off.
Smacked him in the mouth damn near knocked his teeth out. He finished the job with a gigantic bloody lip and a few slices of bread in his mouth soaking up the blood.

·
I am The Dentist
50,953 Posts
Fucking brakes...
The time before last, I was putting those damn shoe return springs (the REALLY stiff ones with the hooks) back on the rear of the '62 Suburban. Couldn't get an angle on them, and before I realized what I was doing, I had the round rod-end of the brake spring pliers/tool hooked on the end of the yellow spring, and was pulling for all I was worth trying to stretch it over the anchor pin at the top of the backing plate. Because of the way I was sitting, I was also pulling directly toward my head.

The spring slipped off, and with every ounce of strength I had in my arms, I pulled the handle of that brake tool toward my face... and buried the handle in my right nostril. It actually bottomed out and rocked my head back so hard my glasses fell off.

I have no idea how far up there it went, but it felt like I bruised my brain. Holy fuck did it hurt. Amazingly, it didn't bleed a drop... but blowing my nose was a new experience in pain for the next couple days.

-Brad

·
Mike
7,365 Posts
Working on my V-drive boat engine while it was running I couldn't see the serpentine belt, and touched what I thought may be a water leak. 2 fingers went through the pulley knocked the belt off and scared the sh!t out of me and it took one and a half hrs to get back to shore. I still have the fingers. A V belt may have been different.....

·
Runnin Soon...
1,323 Posts
Back in the 70s was adjusting a carb on a running engine. I dropped the screwdriver and without thinking tried to grab it. Stuck my index and middle finger into the fan ( old razor sharp aluminum blade type ). Cut the fingers clean to the bone you could see the brilliant white bone showing through the bloody mess.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
rear brake job here on an old POS Ford truck. using a pair of dikes cause the other asshole in the shop took my brake tool 10 stitches in the forehead right between the eyes

·
REBUILDING
10,877 Posts
A few years back I was moving my open car trailer around with a jack on the tongue of the trailer and I stupidly reached down by the jack to give it a extra little tug....needless to say it slipped and fell on my left index finger and damn near cut it off at the first knuckle. I felt dumb as hell as I had to drive myself to the hospital with a compound fracture and the bone sticking out and bleeding. They made me wait a 4 hours in a room after my wife got there cause another guy had cut his leg damn near off....kinda put things in perspective. Oh yeh the finger is fine now....they set it, took the nail off, stitched it up and it is back to about 95% after the nail grew back.

·
I am The Dentist
50,953 Posts

Gotta get you one of these....
Yeah... see that top arm on the tool... the straight, smooth one? That's the one that hit the back end of my nostril.

-Brad

·
photobomber
2,512 Posts
Ten years ago, laying under my truck, dropped a combination wrench open-end side down directly on my eyeball. Fortunately the drop was only about three inches. Earlier this year, knocking weld slag off a piece of steel with a belt sander, had a hot chunk put a blister on my lower eyelid, right along the line where my eyelashes are.

I still occasionally stop myself from leaning into it when I've got a wrench in some position where if the fastener lets go (or the wrench slips) I'll drive my hand into something sharp with all my weight...

·
Registered
359 Posts
funny close call i had with my car. it was stumble when going quick wot. so i bummed the timing up a little bit form the pass side, reached over the carb and gave it a quick blurp. low and behold fireball on my arm. took some hairs off but didnt burn thanks god. so i learned to never reach across a running engine.

·
Photoshop Pisser Offer
3,461 Posts
Didnt have the right tolols to do rear brakes but almost got it done with a screwdriver and regular pliers. Last spring to do on top and was stretching it on with pliers and was almost there watching real closely when wam! removing pliers from eye socket!. Lesson learned! Anyone else humble enough to tell us there close call or screw up. Might safe someone some hardache....,ED
$8 for a spring tool vs. lost eyesight...

·
Photoshop Pisser Offer
3,461 Posts
funny close call i had with my car. it was stumble when going quick wot. so i bummed the timing up a little bit form the pass side, reached over the carb and gave it a quick blurp. low and behold fireball on my arm. took some hairs off but didnt burn thanks god. so i learned to never reach across a running engine.
Always advance the timing on a lean stumble... no seriously it works :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Pulled the overflow hose off the radiator with the engine running and jammed my thumb into the alternator fan ,my thumbnail is crooked to this day.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts