Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ran the NOS "B" nozzles for several years and have never had issues. I was aware that numerous people had experienced problems with the "B" nozzle design, but had never personally experienced any problems until this past weekend.

A friend of mine purchased a second hand NOS fogger from a guy. The kit appeared to have been used very little, everything was clean, not even any scratches on the flare nuts. The Nozzles are "B" nozzles and appeared to be in perfect condition.

He installed the system a couple of weeks ago and brought it by my shop to complete wiring of the digiset, etc. We decided to give the system a try yesterday in the shop, first "dry firing" the system to make certain that the digiset was operating correctly, etc. Checked flowing fuel pressure, retards, etc., everything checked out o.k.. Ready for a test with the "bang" button, we warmed the motor up, brought her up to about 2800 and tapped the button. The engine popped out of the carburetor and died. Thinking that we hadn't purged the system well enough, we checked bottle pressure, purged the system well and hit it, same deal, dead.

We completely ran through the system, retards, rotor phasing, fuel pressure, etc. Everything checked out. We removed the system from the engine and "wet fired" it into catch cans, plenty of fuel, plenty of nitrous. Re-installed the system, re-checked everything, tried it again, same shit!!

After scratching my head for a few minutes, I remembered the article that I had read a year or so ago about the problem nozzles. I connected my flow guage, armed the system and tapped the "bang" button. The fuel pressure guage PEGGED!! I called Steve Johnson (sorry to interrupt the cookout Steve, thanks) and Steve confirmed that it sounded like a nozzle problem. We pulled all of the nozzles and performed the "brake cleaner straw test" and ALL 8 nozzles allowed the brake cleaner to flow back up into the fuel inlet side of the nozzle. We also used compressed air to test the nozzles with the same result.

I'm attaching a link to the article if anyone is interested.
http://texastuffstreet.com/fogger.htm

Does anyone know if NOS/HOLLEY will warranty these nozzles? They're probably a couple of years old and were purchased second hand but I thought that they may still honor the nozzles since it appears to be a not so uncommon problem.

Steve, we'll be calling you for a set of your nozzles soon.

Martin

·
Banned
18,113 Posts
That reminds me of how people used to add fuel via the injectors on the early EFI systems, hopefully they don't do this anymore!

They would have nitrous plumbed into the fuel pressure regulators vacuum port and blast it with the nitrous pressure to get more fuel into the motor by raising the fuel pressure to who knows what, may have even dead-headed the fuel system. What a nasty, archaic way of doing things! That was their idea of a dry system.

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
Although not a common problem, it does happen from time to time. The problem occurs when people crank the b-nuts too tight and then the tubes inside the jet holders break loose inside the nozzle, when taking the lines loose, which lets nitrous into the fuel side. If these were new, I could surely take care of them for you, but being used and not originally purchased by you, not sure there is much I can do, but will check on it. I recently attended a product meeting and "B" nozzles will be discontinued from the schedule. You will be able to get replacement nozzles, but no "B" nozzles will be packaged in new kits. We will continue to offer the "A", the "soft plume", the "Annular" and a newly redesigned nozzle that has yet to be named.

Monte

·
Super Moderator
12,231 Posts
Keith,
When the nozzles are leaking like this, the nitrous pressure overcomes the fuel flow and you get a nice lean condition !!! :smt077

A few seconds later, you have new ash trays !!! ;) It's great to see that NOS is finally discontinuing this nozzle. It will be a positive move forward for them I'm sure. as I always sayit's not always if they are leaking, but when will they start to ??

Martin, really as you know you wouldn't want another set of "B"'s to replace these with, I would only take the Soft Plumes and the you just have to switch the nitrous and fuel solenoids on the distribution blocks as the SP nozzles inlets are reversed from the "B"'s. Give a call if you need any help.. Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
how do you know which one syou have are they black with silver nuts and if you change to a differant nozzle do you have to change your tuneup and if its an annualer nozzle can they go in at th same angle

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
"A" nozzles are black with brass jet holders, "B" nozzles are black with silver jet holders. "A" nozzles or "Soft Plume" nozzles are a direct replacement for "B" nozzles as far as placement, but the inlets are reversed, so your plumbing will have to be swapped around. The tune ups are close enough that you won't have any issues with a nozzle change.

Monte

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Martin, So when you run the nozzles like that does the tune up go way Fat? I would like to know, I have a friend that trashed 2 engines within a few passes with a set of B nozzles.

Keith
Keith,

Like Steve said, if the nozzles are leaking, the nitrous will flow into the fuel side of the nozzle effectively stopping the fuel flow into the cylinder. In our case, it was bad enough to actually pressurize the fuel system (15 lbs plus and rising). In hindsight, we think this may be the issue with another friends car, he's gotten the #7 cylinder twice. He has "B" nozzles on his second kit and we suspect that he might have a bad nozzle, we're checking them out this weekend.

Monte, if you are able to give any help with the nozzles, would it be possible to use the "B"'s as partial trade on Soft Plumes?

Thanks,
Martin

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mustang

like the stang good looking car
Thanks, but the car in my avatar is actually another car that I sold a year or so ago. I think that car is a grudge car in TX now. The car I have now is very similar and is actually a car that we built, ran 2 seasons of local stuff, and sold about 2 1/2 years ago. I had a change of heart, traced the car down (with leads from YB) and purchased it back. Turns out the car had been seized in a drug deal shortly after we sold it and it was sold at Sherriff's auction. Currently freshening up the engine getting ready for some more local stuff.

Martin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.