Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my daughter(age6) is getting interested in racing now and wants to try it. anyone gotta idea on cost getting started. i'm excited that she is showing interest but i think it's going to hurt the wallet!!!!:confused:

·
Team North Bitches!!!!
3,966 Posts
I can tell you one thing, Dont buy junk. Been around it for sometime and seen that those who just buy a decent car, not the most expensive by any means tend to have good luck. When it comes to trying to teach your child to just get the car from a to b if you are fighting a car that does not act right or run real good it will be very discouraging to your child and the learning curve can be very slow.
You should be able to pick something up for about 3500-5000 which is still fairly cheap when you start looking into new pieces

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
He's right. If at all possible try buying something as new or new. I've been building them for about 15 years now. I've seen plenty of people buy a used car and turn around in the next year and order a new one. Being that your kid is only 6 you still have time (can't race until 8. Just start looking around to get a price in your head. All you need is a car that run's 12.90's there all over the place. If you got any questions just PM me.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
are they all basically the same size or should i be aware of 1 being better than another. the 12.90's sound good on the e.t for her thanks for that info at least i have time to save some $$$

·
Registered
941 Posts
i just bought one for my daughter a couple of months ago to get started in. I had some good advise given to me as well. Buy the best you can afford. Buy a name brand chassis, better for resale later. i found mine for $5000.00 complete. The driving gear goes for another $400
they make different size chassis'. narrow sit up or partial laydown to lay down, wider & longer etc. i will be selling our Halfscale Chassis in a month or two. i am buying a larger car for her to grow with not out of.My daughter deicided to grow 4 inches. She is 11 and stands 5'6". at age 8 she will not be allowed to run faster than 12.90. you will probably have to add weight to the car to slow it down. i have taken out the weight as she drives better. i have had a blast since we have started racing, its more fun than when i race.

·
Registered
114 Posts
When looking for a junior you want to make sure you get her a Sit Up style junior for her first one so she can have a clear view. They are available in Sit up, Semi Laydown And Full Laydown. Buy one a little big so she can grow in it. You can upholster the seat to make her fit if its to big. We ran Halfscale Juniors and they work great. Resale is Very Good on Halfscale Brand. Personally I would not buy one any older than 5 yrs old from the date you are going to use it. NHRA changes the rules just like big cars. You should be able to pick one up from $3500 up. It does not take much to run 12.90's, 5hp Briggs, small cam run, Mikuni Carb on Alky and Polar style clutch you are there. What format does your track run? age group, or all run together) 12.90 is probably the most frustrating to run until you find the right combo.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Faster, i am looking at a mcgriff(sp) Tim Tindle (promod) bought 2 of these chassis to run and is selling one turn key and the other as a roller. His son is stepping up to some outlaw JR racing so they are selling. These cars are rear suspended, torsion type rod to tighten up front as well as pivot joints to allow the car to bow under power for weight transfer.
The halfscale that we have now is a semi laydown, manual rack, torsion type front suspension,aluminum 5 star wheels, removable steering wheel, etc.. i am very pleased with the car, just wished i would have known my daughter was going to grow as much as she did.
What tyoe of car do you have?

·
Thread killer
1,879 Posts
If you are at all interested in resale value I would stick with one of the major name brands. Half Scale, Motivational tubing, Mike Boss, Racer Pops, and Hardens are some of the top brands. You will definitely want to start with a used car for a beginner as there is a chance your kid won't like racing. The only other things I can add are to buy a nice chromoly chassts as opposed to mild steel. You will have a lighter package and room for growth. NHRA will not allow you to run 7.90's with a mild steel car. Also stay away from anything with "Great starter car" in th ad! That means great piece of crap!! Another great Jr Dragster site is jrdragsterplus.com. The people on there are very helpful and won't flame you. It's definitely not the bullet.... LOL I cannot tell you guys how much fun it is racing with my son. I have met some truly great people and my son and I have made friendships that will last for a lifetime.

·
green to go
2,147 Posts
If you are at all interested in resale value I would stick with one of the major name brands. Half Scale, Motivational tubing, Mike Boss, Racer Pops, and Hardens are some of the top brands. You will definitely want to start with a used car for a beginner as there is a chance your kid won't like racing. The only other things I can add are to buy a nice chromoly chassts as opposed to mild steel. You will have a lighter package and room for growth. NHRA will not allow you to run 7.90's with a mild steel car. Also stay away from anything with "Great starter car" in th ad! That means great piece of crap!! Another great Jr Dragster site is jrdragsterplus.com. The people on there are very helpful and won't flame you. It's definitely not the bullet.... LOL I cannot tell you guys how much fun it is racing with my son. I have met some truly great people and my son and I have made friendships that will last for a lifetime.

a buddy of mine had real good luck out of his bos car....spitzer also made some nice ones as well.... just watch it...they have a bad tendency to get out of hand $$$$$ wise...:) i know one of my old customers had large bucks in a single cylinder ....the guy with the bos car told me a story about going to get a motor for his and it was going to cost as much as he was wanting for his 427...his kid wanted him to just trade motors... mike just said he thought it would be too weird having to unload a motor with a cherry picker and the other he could carry out under his arm....:rolleyes: brandon

·
Thread killer
1,879 Posts
Best post yet. I have to remind myself all the time that it's not big boy heads up racing. It's just for fun. Now if I could convince my driver that it's just for fun I'd be doing something. He's pretty competitive and that's not all a bad thing. I've seen the "gets all over his kid for losing guy" and it's ugly. I'll never be that guy.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My daughter runs in the JDRL and we spent $3000 for the car and put $400 into it (Paint-updated belts) and we had to buy the coat-helmet-gloves. so plan on $3500-$4000 and you can race and do well. The best advise is to set yourself up with a Dad that knows JR we run big cars and it is night and day on how you tune.. Try and buy a car that runs well in the 12.90 class also dont buy a 8.90 car and think you can slow it down you cant...

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Don't do like me and just go buy parts that you think might work LISTEN to people that have been there and done it. They can be really temperemental at times! Stay away from Tilloston carbs unless you know a lot about them they run really rich. I had fun when we did it but it takes lotsa patience also! Good Luck and enjoy it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts