Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
Good idea Pro, we kind of hi-jacked the other thread a little, lol. These rocket/jet guys were some special guys. I really like reading up on different things from back in the day and seeing just how crazy some of the these guys were and some of the things they did to go fast. I used to be good friends (still am, just lost touch over the years) with a guy that ran Fuel back in the 70-80s. He had some real good stories about some of the stuff Garlits, Malone, and others did back then.

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
http://www.vintagekarts.com/Rockets/Rockets.htm#1050

Here is some intersting history. I will see if I can dig it up but there was an actual "club" of rocket powed go-karts in the 60's but it was outlawed after a number of deaths that occured.
I saw "Capt Jack McClure" [spelling] at Union Grove, Wisconsin, in 1975 when I was drivin for Coil. It was a Saturday night Broadway Bob Extravaganza with Funny Cars, Wheel standers, Jet Cars, and Capt Jack. I was on the starting line when they rolled this phucking Go-Kart up to the beams. It had a Lunar Guide Module small rocket engine on the back. This phucker walked up and sat down on this thing [nothing to hold him on it], then he motioned everyone to leave the area. The last guy there turned on the valves for the
Hydrogen Peroxide, he left, and Jack reached out, put his hand on the ground and rolled himself into the beams. Within a few seconds, he flipped a switch, and all Hell broke loose. I was watching from off to the side, and I swear to GOD, that phucking thing only touched the GROUND 3 times in the 1/4 mile. It went 6.34 @ 232MPH...
Of all the Exhibition Shit I've seen in my life, this was it... The MACK DADDY of them all....
Maddawg

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
I saw "Capt Jack McClure" [spelling] at Union Grove, Wisconsin, in 1975 when I was drivin for Coil. It was a Saturday night Broadway Bob Extravaganza with Funny Cars, Wheel standers, Jet Cars, and Capt Jack. I was on the starting line when they rolled this phucking Go-Kart up to the beams. It had a Lunar Guide Module small rocket engine on the back. This phucker walked up and sat down on this thing [nothing to hold him on it], then he motioned everyone to leave the area. The last guy there turned on the valves for the
Hydrogen Peroxide, he left, and Jack reached out, put his hand on the ground and rolled himself into the beams. Within a few seconds, he flipped a switch, and all Hell broke loose. I was watching from off to the side, and I swear to GOD, that phucking thing only touched the GROUND 3 times in the 1/4 mile. It went 6.34 @ 232MPH...
Of all the Exhibition Shit I've seen in my life, this was it... The MACK DADDY of them all....
Maddawg
i wonder if anyone got it on film back in those days , sounds like one buttpuckering ride LOL

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
Maddawg
That is unreal.... I doubt seeing that live could ever be topped.

·
T/S 368E
33,869 Posts

How about running 340+ mph's over 30 years ago, with the chassis designs available. That probably caused some Buttpuckering also.
A go cart, no way in hell would I sit on anything going that fast. I like my 25.1 go cart. Cool thread.

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
i wonder if anyone got it on film back in those days , sounds like one buttpuckering ride LOL
I think if you look hard enough, there's film of it somewhere...
There's a couple of those rocket powered carts at Garlits' museum in Ocala,Fl. If ya havent been there yet, ya need to go...
If ya go there, ask for "BIG". If he's there, he'll come out and BEND your ear... Tell him Savage told ya to come...:yawinkle:

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
I think if you look hard enough, there's film of it somewhere...
There's a couple of those rocket powered carts at Garlits' museum in Ocala,Fl. If ya havent been there yet, ya need to go...
If ya go there, ask for "BIG". If he's there, he'll come out and BEND your ear... Tell him Savage told ya to come...:yawinkle:
one of these yrs i,ll have to get down to FLA and check it out , you lived quite the dragracing life Denny you,ve done and seen things most could never imagine thanx for sharing your stories on here :cool:

·
Registered
15,547 Posts

How about running 340+ mph's over 30 years ago, with the chassis designs available. That probably caused some Buttpuckering also.
A go cart, no way in hell would I sit on anything going that fast. I like my 25.1 go cart. Cool thread.

The bad part of those rocket powered cars and carts was.. The way they functioned was - It was a timed BURN of the Hydrogen Peroxide. based on the amount of fuel [if you will] in the tanks.
Once you hit the switch, you were a passenger for that timed burn. If you couldnt keep it in the groove, you were in trouble.
That's how Russel Mendez was killed. They were normally set up for a 3 second burn. Somebody screwed up on his deal, as it was still going at close to 5 seconds... Right after that, is when NHRA banned the Rocket stuff, from their tracks. I think that happened in '73 or '74..
That little Lunar Guide Rocket on Jacks go kart made 5,000lbs of thrust..
Dawg

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
That's how Russel Mendez was killed.
Was Mendez the guy who drove (guided?) the Pollution Packer? I saw that thing run at Natl Trail in '72 or so - ran 300 in the quarter mile which was pretty much unheard of at that time. The driver was killed in the car just a couple months after I saw him, and not long after that the NHRA pulled the plug on rocket cars.

·
Registered
15,547 Posts
Was Mendez the guy who drove (guided?) the Pollution Packer? I saw that thing run at Natl Trail in '72 or so - ran 300 in the quarter mile which was pretty much unheard of at that time. The driver was killed in the car just a couple months after I saw him, and not long after that the NHRA pulled the plug on rocket cars.
Not sure if it was that car.. I'll try and find out..

·
Im a Pro at being Amateur
9,638 Posts
not a rocket powered one, but its still neat. its a twin turbine powered go kart. its a family friend, he has a thing for turbines. not all that fast, but defiantly unique

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1hh-gDcnIE

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good idea Pro, we kind of hi-jacked the other thread a little, lol. These rocket/jet guys were some special guys. I really like reading up on different things from back in the day and seeing just how crazy some of the these guys were and some of the things they did to go fast. I used to be good friends (still am, just lost touch over the years) with a guy that ran Fuel back in the 70-80s. He had some real good stories about some of the stuff Garlits, Malone, and others did back then.
Shelton - nothing beats old race stories I love them. When I teched WKA races at Ocala Fl I went to the Garlits museum , what a cool place to go. It's like traveling back in time zone.

He happened to be there and told us a story of the first hemi he raced came out of his tow truck. He said when the first race them they needed timing and nobody knew it yet. He said they were messing around an cranked it to much and set a fast time. Just think when there were days you could win a major event by making a timing change...them were the days :cool:

·
Registered
21,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maddawg
Denny- Thats awsome Broadway Bob from the grove was a friend of the karting community in Wis. and I ra ced the grove when I lived up there.

Bob told me several of these guys were killed right at his track and like 6 of them total. He said they were banned from competition and his wife laid down the law with him for supporting it.

I remeber his ass riding on the front of the jet cars on their warm ups and he had that stupid Elvis cape on crack me up.

Remeber the good days...Olympics of drag racing ??

·
Im a Pro at being Amateur
9,638 Posts
would you believe he still gets up there a few times a year with the jet cars. hes still crazy as every, always with a MGD in his hand

ive video taped the jet dragsters more than a few times now. ive stood between them at the beams and shot down track, ive shot from the tower with it on fire, and from the (now) concrete walls that keeps everyone back

1 - 20 of 22 Posts