Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They're calling in the Guard; just declared it a "mass casualty" situation. Severe structural damage; people trapped in collapsed buildings. And every town NE of Jefferson city is in danger, as tornado after tornado continue to pound the place - all the way to Chicago.

We had tornado warnings here in the Burkburnett, TX area, where I happened to be eating dinner...I bet there were 200 storm chasers in the area...chased our asses out of town in a hurry...but the funnels never reached the ground so no harm other than some ping pong size hail. Damn, hate to hear what's going on up there; it's an especially bad situation when these things hit at night.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I'm about 60 miles East of Jeff, the storms have been rock''n and rolling for a couple of hours.

Phone alert systems has just made the Third set of calls.

So far here we've only had massive lightning, thunder and rain with a little hail.

Fortunately no high winds.

Prayers for everyone arouond Jeff City.

This hasn't been on the local news yet, or maybe it need to change stations.

·
Former RJ instigator
41,556 Posts
Yeah I just looked at the radar map, it looks like St Louis is fixing to get hammered, y'all buckle up and stay safe up that way.

·
Registered
37,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The radar loop shows that tornado and that cell (still an active tornado) moving slightly north of you. There's several other cells behind it that will likely impact you directly if you're 60 miles east of JC...but right now, radar shows them "severe" and not "tornadic". That could change and it looks like you're in for several more hours of it. Stay safe up there, man.

·
Registered
37,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For those who have never seen one of these things up close and personal - I've had the pleasure 3 times - witness the power of 250mph rotational winds that struck Katie, OK 3 years ago, in one of the most dramatic tornado videos ever made. 1:00 to 1:06 will blow your mind. This is the short version; one exists that's 10 minutes long.

·
Registered
37,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just posted on FNC home page:

Tornado in Jefferson City, Mo., may have caused ‘catastrophic damage’: reports

·
Registered
28,149 Posts
Weather channel says 3 lives lost.

·
Registered
890 Posts
They're calling in the Guard;

The reason they're calling up Guardsmen- and women...are because a levee is expected to break. Yeah, tere's some flooding, but with the rain up in iowa in the coming days...water here will be higher.

Yeah, in case you missed it, I'm in missouri.

It's no longer the show me state, rather it's the float me state. :eek:

·
Registered
37,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The reason they're calling up Guardsmen- and women...are because a levee is expected to break. Yeah, tere's some flooding, but with the rain up in iowa in the coming days...water here will be higher.

Yeah, in case you missed it, I'm in missouri.

They need to station some Guardspeople in JC, if for no other reason than to prevent looting. Jefferson City isn't a little bitty town; looting is likely.

I figured you were from Missouri, and we hear about flooding up there all the time. I know its bad. My son is a service manager for a large generator company; he operates out of Little Rock but travels to MO and eastern OK often. Right now there's areas he can't even access due to incessant flooding; areas with customers who desperately need generator service. Reminds me of the May rains here back in 2015; nearly 30 inches in 3 weeks.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yeah, yesterday afternoon and evening (Tuesday night, specifically) the local low level roads were under water where there's creek or stream nearby. My dad has three farms with bottom land at all three. None have been dry for weeks, and all are under water right now and have been for several days. Gonna be a tough year for a lot of crop farmers...us included.

Been reading reports on Jeff City...if nobody got killed there, I'd be surprised.

Joplin had a near miss...8 years to the day of that EF5 that killed over 150 people.

Bad deal, for sure. It's rained over 6 inches in 2 days, here, as measure by my gauges.

Damn..

·
Registered
37,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Joplin had a near miss...8 years to the day of that EF5 that killed over 150 people.

I was watching that closely. We had a similar tornado here 40 years ago - the most destructive EF5 tornado in history until Moore, OK 1999 - but the death toll was much less. 45, and most of them were killed in their cars trying to outrun it. Unless you have plenty of warning, stay the hell out of your car. The storm that hit here was a mile and a half wide and traveled in a straight line at 75mph straight through town. You ain't gettin' away from that.

·
Former RJ instigator
41,556 Posts
Yeah, yesterday afternoon and evening (Tuesday night, specifically) the local low level roads were under water where there's creek or stream nearby. My dad has three farms with bottom land at all three. None have been dry for weeks, and all are under water right now and have been for several days. Gonna be a tough year for a lot of crop farmers...us included.

Been reading reports on Jeff City...if nobody got killed there, I'd be surprised.

Bad deal, for sure. It's rained over 6 inches in 2 days, here, as measure by my gauges.

Damn..
In the news, they're saying 3 dead in Jeff City.

·
Registered
22,718 Posts
For those who have never seen one of these things up close and personal - I've had the pleasure 3 times - witness the power of 250mph rotational winds that struck Katie, OK 3 years ago, in one of the most dramatic tornado videos ever made. 1:00 to 1:06 will blow your mind. This is the short version; one exists that's 10 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1R_N_pysRs
I would love to see a big one EF5 or EF4 up close without the loss of life and destruction.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Im about 30 miles from Jeff city. It was a little tens around this neck of the woods. Rivers are way out of the banks right now too. Isnt helping much. My shop in our town is right at the verge of going under tomorrow. Depending on where the river crest tomorrow. They keep changing it. But these storms could bring in a toad flooter and really be swimming fast.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts