Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I mentioned that I attended the Mickey Thompson Celebration last Saturday at the NHRA Museum in Pomona. I saw a lot of old timers, other guys that worked for M/T in "the old days" and old racers, etc. These two photos were emailed to me this morning by a friend. I don't remember who took the photos, in fact, I had never even seen them before. This had to be in 1966 or 1967. In the old Indy 500 days at M/T's. God, what memories. The outside shop photo had a couple of interesting relics. Above the Indy car from a couple of years before is an Indy car chassis. That's what was left of the car that Dave MacDonald drove (and died in) at Indy in the big crash and subsequent fire.

Here's a hint on the engine, it's not a Ford cammer. It's a pushrod Chevy with two intake valves and one exhaust valve.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Those are some stylin' shoes!

·
Registered
48,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats some crazy engineering going on there. wonder how many of that setup were produced and how many survived...
The engines were stock-block pushrod Chevy SB's. The heads were designed and built by some guy (can't remember his name) in England. I think we had 5 or 6 sets. The rocker's were somewhat convoluted but not that much different than the old Chrysler hemi. One pushrod opperated both intake valves.

Anyone recognize the old Hilborn pump?

I know this was before I ever got married, no ring on my finger, lol.:p

·
Pontiac aficionado
2,839 Posts
Is that water pump 1-1 off the crank or gear reduced inside the housing?

Awesome pics

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
with no before and after,picts this thread is ????????? lol

·
Registered
9,850 Posts
Before and after what???
lol, you say your getting old, so im guessing that pic is of you in the old days,where,s the new and improved you:cool:

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Aren't those Weslake Heads?

·
102,312 Posts

I mentioned that I attended the Mickey Thompson Celebration last Saturday at the NHRA Museum in Pomona. I saw a lot of old timers, other guys that worked for M/T in "the old days" and old racers, etc. These two photos were emailed to me this morning by a friend. I don't remember who took the photos, in fact, I had never even seen them before. This had to be in 1966 or 1967. In the old Indy 500 days at M/T's. God, what memories. The outside shop photo had a couple of interesting relics. Above the Indy car from a couple of years before is an Indy car chassis. That's what was left of the car that Dave MacDonald drove (and died in) at Indy in the big crash and subsequent fire.

Here's a hint on the engine, it's not a Ford cammer. It's a pushrod Chevy with two intake valves and one exhaust valve.

Good grief you were ugly then, and uglier now LOL :-D

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
with no before and after,picts this thread is ????????? lol
George is so old there is " no before" just after----just kidding George-- very cool pics

·
This amp goes to 11.
12,064 Posts
That looks quite a bit like the early Ford 255 built for Indianapolis, from a general layout point of view. IIRC it was developed in '63, possibly '62. I've never seen pictures of the Chevrolet with that amount of detail before. Got any more?

You're not really getting THAT old...as long as you tell people that you were two at the time of the pictures!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
short and sweet you are without a doubt A BAD MUTHA PHUCKER

1 - 20 of 22 Posts