Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in AK over the 4th of July visiting my step Dad and he blew the Hemi in his 2017 Grand Cherokee. Clattering and blowing oil into air box and out dipstick tube.

It was towed 100 miles to the Fairbanks dealer where he purchased new. I talked with the service manager and owner myself and can say they did not seem like very nice people.

Anyway, they are still in the process of checking out and verifying if warranty or not. TT Dad today and he says they report it looks like pistons have been pressure washed. (I assume they put a scope in the cyls.?) They say if there is water in engine, warranty does not cover. To find out, they must pull pan which is 7.5 hours and would have to be paid for if not warranty. Dad's old but not senile, he suggested perhaps they just pull the drain plug first. Naturally, they will want oil change records which he has, just have to get them to Fairbanks.

Question is, for Jeep dealers or techs, is Jeep themselves behind this or do the dealers go out of their way to try to avoid warranty?
Is there any other recourse? Next dealer is in Anchorage so towing vehicle all around AK is not an option.

·
Banned
8,971 Posts
if it gets flagged as no warranty there, then it is flagged where ever you take it.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not trying to get a free repair on a non warranty issue. Just trying to figure if it is common for dealers to drag there feet and come up with hypotheticals excluding warranty coverage before they even know what the issue is.

Thinking about it, one of the first things they should have done was pull the dipstick to check the oil. That should have told them if there was water or anything else in there.

I took my Caddy in for warranty cam adjusters. They did tell me, if not the cam adjusters I would have to pay diagnostic fee. They didn't ask for a C-C or anything else. They had it diagnosed that day and back to me in a couple days.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Only thing that makes sense to me is maybe they are looking for bent rods from injesting water- hydrolocked. You would think they would find that pulling the plugs though.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Knew a guy that went through this with a mid 2000's hemi ram, the ones with the air intake right by the fenderwell. He went through a puddle and you can guess the rest, went to arbitration and they ended up covering it under warranty.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Knew a guy that went through this with a mid 2000's hemi ram, the ones with the air intake right by the fenderwell. He went through a puddle and you can guess the rest, went to arbitration and they ended up covering it under warranty.
I googled that and found this: https://www.carcomplaints.com/Jeep/Cherokee/2014/engine/water_sucked_into_intake_engine_destroyed.shtml

I did drive the Cherokee in the yard just prior to park and detach the boat which was still hooked up from the night before and it ran fine. We then loaded up the tribe (7 of us) into the Cherokee while I followed in his Wrangler. Toward the end of his road, about 1 block before the hi way was a 4 - 6 " puddle from rain the night before. We certainly didn't fly thru the puddle as he is particular on that sort of thing. Plus it was right in front of his neighbors driveway and they would have been pissed.

We then got onto hi way and he wasn't going very fast. I thought he was just driving like a geezer but, he eventually got up to 60MPH. We met up at the store in town about 10 miles away and he complained about the power loss, and noise but said no CEL. That's when I opened the hood to discover blow by. I did open intake box to find oil from blow by but did not look for water as I would have never thought of that.

Would be a bitch if it was Jeeps bad design and not covered.

BTW, was it the dealer denying coverage or Jeep themselves or both?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts