Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 468 Posts

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought ya'll might be interested in a GTO we are doing. We got the rails notched and done, mini tubs fabbed, assembled and mocked up, the Rear trunk floor cut out and a sheet metal replacement made, and the rear firewall mocked up. Today we were able to put the new wheels and tires on our measuring fixture and set under the car and get the measurements for the new fabricated 9" housing we will be building in the next few days. As you may have guessed, the old IRS is gone and it will get a 9" rear with a torque arm/coil over suspension that we will be fabbing up here shortly. We will also be building a C/M tube engine k member, and C/M tube lower front c-arms as well as fabricating a coil over strut suspension for the front with narrowed track width.

A shot inside showing the tubs mocked up. they are just held in place for now with a few clecos so they can be removed to do the welding on the cage. Then they will be stitch welded in and the final fitting done.

We still have along way to go, but we have a good start so far. Soon to come will be the cage, build a fuel cell, get started on the front suspension components we are building. Then, on to a serious weight reduction.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
First off , you do great work clearly apparent from this post and others. One dumb question though, how do you get a car like that on the fab table ? Drive it up, push it ?

·
SOFA KING WHAT?
43,675 Posts
That's going to be a great looking ride when done!

·
draggin' ass
13,419 Posts
Great looking project, when do you anticipate being finished with it?

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow. Thanks for the compliments and interest! I greatly appreciate it. I pour my heart and soul into builds like this and it means alot to see others think it was worthwhile. So, thanks again guys. I will try to answer all the questions. If I miss yours, ask again. LOL.
We back the (or a) car trailer up to the table and roll it right on. It was build just about level with most trailers so its almost a straight/level shot.
Rear susp pics: We haven't gotten that far yet. But I will post when we are. We plan on selling some of the brackets and stuff we are using so stay in touch to those who might be interested.
Completion: Will be well after the first of the year. There is a new eng in the works possibly, and the owner has talked about having us repaint it also. I am pretty backed up and wasn't expecting this large of a build when the owner and I first talked so we may at some point need to take care of some other obligations.
Anyone who wants to look or come by is welcome anytime (call first)

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is the first good looking gto I have seen. Awesome work!
When I first was approched about this build, I was like WHY??? Now, as I am working and coming up with new stuff and getting the green light to go ahead I'm getting real attached to it already. Its going to be neat for sure.
Blk ta- Pawnman has got an awesome 1 gen Camaro in my book as well. Chris was another one who gave me a fairly loose rein on his car.
Clayton (procrew2) you should talk.. You still at the shop?

·
Registered
181 Posts
That is really cool, love the wheels tire's look good in the wheel opening can't wait to see the finished product. Keep the pis coming. What motor or you leaving the stock one.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Now thats how those cars should look,great work as always.Probably a stupid question,but did you fab those tubs or buy them?

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That is really cool, love the wheels tire's look good in the wheel opening can't wait to see the finished product. Keep the pis coming. What motor or you leaving the stock one.
It has a magna charger on it for now. The motor has alot of the good stuff already and running low boost still makes in the 700 range. He is already ordering the parts to increase the boost to take advantage of the new traction. I have an all aluminum internals TH400 with brake and chance converter that he may also be buying from me for it.

1 - 20 of 468 Posts