Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Idiot Savant
163,789 Posts
you've got too many threads going for the same build . I thought you said 6.2 rod in other thread . either way I think your chevy piston can be cut down to 11:1 and work with your cam head combo na but not with boost . call rebco and see what they say or order a new set with the compression you want .
I took us 4 days to figure out what the dude did...but he now knows for sure what the combination is. I have to give the builder a little credit, he did put some thought into it. If he hadn't flubbed the pistons to valve clearance it would have run fine.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Speaking of that, what's the procedure to check ptv clearance once I get all my parts in?

·
Idiot Savant
163,789 Posts
The easy method is with clay. I'd like to issue a commendation to whoever made this video, since he showed the discretion to use my pistons.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Back at it.

Question.

Before installing pistons. What do you wipe the cylinders down with in case they have dirt or debris? Just a towel? Any solvent?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Back at it.

Question.

Before installing pistons. What do you wipe the cylinders down with in case they have dirt or debris? Just a towel? Any solvent?
I use automatic transmission fluid, keep doing it until lint free towels are free of grit, helps prevent rust also. Then I clean that with wd40 before assembly and lube with a small amount of oil, but I'm just a hobby engine builder.

·
Registered
54,910 Posts
I took us 4 days to figure out what the dude did...but he now knows for sure what the combination is. I have to give the builder a little credit, he did put some thought into it. If he hadn't flubbed the pistons to valve clearance it would have run fine.
I thought the short block was good too. Dont understand why he didnt eyebrow the pistons in the block and call it a day.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
You're asking him like it was his motor or im retarded. However I'll still answer you.

The pistons were 12cc dish. You can't run that blower on 12:1 compression in this application. That was made very clear by procharger when I called them. In order to get reasonable compression ratio I needed to have a different compression height as well as a much larger dish in the piston.

Now im down to 9.27 static compression, 7.75 dynamic

Better suited for 91 pump gas with a blower

·
Registered
54,910 Posts
You're asking him like it was his motor or im retarded. However I'll still answer you.

The pistons were 12cc dish. You can't run that blower on 12:1 compression in this application. That was made very clear by procharger when I called them. In order to get reasonable compression ratio I needed to have a different compression height as well as a much larger dish in the piston.

Now im down to 9.27 static compression, 7.75 dynamic

Better suited for 91 pump gas with a blower
LOL. You were all over the place on this engine. Maybe procharged, maybe 12 years from now, etc etc etc. My point is that it would have ran fine with a little work on the pistons.

·
Registered
54,910 Posts
The pistons were sticking out of the block and he needed to drop the compression two points.
Got it. I solve the former with MLS gaskets, not expensive, easy and it works. The latter does require different pistons or a dish cut. Cutting a dish is easy and cheap.

·
Idiot Savant
163,789 Posts
The pistons weren't thick enough to cut a dish in them. So here we are...and he doesn't even have to re-balance.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Got it. I solve the former with MLS gaskets, not expensive, easy and it works. The latter does require different pistons or a dish cut. Cutting a dish is easy and cheap.
It is recommended to not run more than .060" quench, and the thicker gasket would have put me much higher than that.

Am I an engine builder? No. Do engines run with taller quench than that? Yes, a lot more sometimes. But im taking a sum of internet knowledge from various places, calling and talking to as many engine builders as I can, and averaging out their answers. Which has ultimately lead me to this solution instead of the "fuckin run it"

This thing might crack the second I give it throttle, but up until then im going to build it to last, as best I can in my kitchen. I will live with the results. Then I'll be able to give suggestions to other people as ignorant as me on the webs and say "that's not how I'd do it"!

Also, can I borrow 5 bucks, I'm running out of money to put into this turd.

·
Idiot Savant
163,789 Posts
Once we figured out what the combination was, it was easy. And, As I said when we spoke, the guy put a lot of thought into it.

This thing will pull your eyeballs out when it's gone.

·
Long Live The King
100,258 Posts
Glad you’ve made progress.

what are the cam specs ?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Glad you’ve made progress.

what are the cam specs ?
I didn't end up getting a new one yet. I got three different quotes for a custom grind and they seemed to be pretty vastly different, so I'm still trying to learn myself a little more about cam selection before I make that decision.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts