Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've always liked the VMAX when they were made back in 1985 and found this one down in Charleston, WV with only 6,000 original miles on a 97 model with aftermarket flat sides, header, aftermarket paint, aftermarket rims with 18" radial tires, R1 brakes and EBC rotors, aftermarket shocks and many extra parts too. I've ridden the bike about 500 miles in the last week and it runs and rides very nice. This picture was taken not long before I rode it home.

The plan is to turbo it with EFI and convert it to chain drive over the winter.

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
21,313 Posts
Wait so racers usually convert timing chains to belt set ups but on this you're going the other way?

·
Registered
598 Posts
It's SHAFT drive! The conversion is to get rid of that.. The late Bill Warner had a BAD ASS V Max that was converted to chain drive and he held many LSR records with it. He was planning to retire the 311 MPH beast after the event where it took his life and drag the V Max back out for some more fun with it. He knew the 311 MPH bike was a death trap and had even said that he wouldn't sell it to anyone else to ride, it was to be taken apart and retired in pieces to prevent anyone else from it taking their life. Unfortunately on his last ride it took his life and we lost a legend. His V Max was truly one of a kind just like Bill, one of a kind!

Nice bike

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
It's SHAFT drive! The conversion is to get rid of that.. The late Bill Warner had a BAD ASS V Max that was converted to chain drive and he held many LSR records with it. He was planning to retire the 311 MPH beast after the event where it took his life and drag the V Max back out for some more fun with it. He knew the 311 MPH bike was a death trap and had even said that he wouldn't sell it to anyone else to ride, it was to be taken apart and retired in pieces to prevent anyone else from it taking their life. Unfortunately on his last ride it took his life and we lost a legend. His V Max was truly one of a kind just like Bill, one of a kind!

Nice bike
Wait, are you saying Bill died while riding the Vmax? Pretty sure he died riding a turbo Busa, which is the bike that went 311mph.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wait, are you saying Bill died while riding the Vmax? Pretty sure he died riding a turbo Busa, which is the bike that went 311mph.
He said that he planned to go back to riding the vmax and retire the busa in parts so no one else would try and ride it..

Nice looking bike Bill!

·
Registered
12,342 Posts
Ride the current model with the the rev limiter removed, you won't be needing a turbo on it if ridden on the street, you will need a tyre sponsor!

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, I wanted a chain drive bike bad enough to go buy this one Saturday in Frostburg MD. Good bike that the guy bought brand new in 1988 with only 5,000 miles on it. It has Kosman wheels with 200 wide tire, under cut trans, GSXR forks and many more good items. I'm putting shocks on it today and fixing the clutch.

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm about 99.99% sure he died on a Busa too. If I remember correctly he had broke his arm a couple weeks prior to that faithful ride that cost him his life. Not sure if the broken arm had any part of the crash that took his life or not.

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ride the current model with the the rev limiter removed, you won't be needing a turbo on it if ridden on the street, you will need a tyre sponsor!

We can make 300HP pretty easy with a turbo EFI and this bike is about 250lbs less weight than the Gen 2 model. We are going to run the Haltech system on it to handle the fuel and ignition. I don't plan on racing the bike I just want a cool street bike to ride.

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Registered
516 Posts
The Vmax is one of the best sounding bikes on the road. You are going to have a blast! One question on triggering the Haltech, are you going to build a trigger wheel or use the stock pickups?

·
Registered
598 Posts

NO! I DID NOT SAY THAT.. Where did you get that? Everyone with a working brain knows Bill died on the Busa. NO ONE in the world KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS DAY! And the ones that do know aren't talking..

You know if a man post enough words to make damn sure no one misunderstands the post people cry. If you don't post a book the same people get shit twisted! NO WIN SITUATION

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
NO! I DID NOT SAY THAT.. Where did you get that? Everyone with a working brain knows Bill died on the Busa. NO ONE in the world KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS DAY! And the ones that do know aren't talking..

You know if a man post enough words to make damn sure no one misunderstands the post people cry. If you don't post a book the same people get shit twisted! NO WIN SITUATION
Dude, relax. I misread what you posted. Try the decaf. You'll live longer.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Thanks guys, I wanted a chain drive bike bad enough to go buy this one Saturday in Frostburg MD. Good bike that the guy bought brand new in 1988 with only 5,000 miles on it. It has Kosman wheels with 200 wide tire, under cut trans, GSXR forks and many more good items. I'm putting shocks on it today and fixing the clutch.

Gotta ask how is the clutch?
Did you replace driven and fiber?
Oem or aftermarket parts?
Feeling the love for that snap ring?
If street driven can you find neutral at a stop?
Nice bikes but that V4 is a PITA to work on

1 - 20 of 28 Posts