Yellow Bullet Forums banner

61 - 80 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
The 55mm LSM camshaft arrived today. :cool:

I wanna say Steve Lowe Jr. spent quite a bit of time with me on the phone going over my application.... never felt rushed or pushed through the process at any point in time... really appreciated that.

Between Slick Rick and I discussing the cut... and taking that info to Steve for the analysis, tweaks and final call.. I feel like we nailed-down what should be an awesome stick!

Cheers~
Care to share some of the numbers :-D

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
If I told ya.. I’d have to kill ya. 😉.

Nah.. Let’s just say I’ll be making good use of Slick Ricks port work... but keeping it reasonable to where I’m not beating-up valve train or changing valve springs every 25 passses.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Rick was nice enough to send me a sneak-peak at one of my ports... Instant Chubby! Can't wait for heads and intake to arrive!!!

Happy New Year to all. Be safe tonight.

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Mills588

Can you share goals for your build? Hp goal, rpm, whatever?

Sure..

• 598ci
Wet-sump, 10.2 Dart Big M iron block, steel capped
Callies DS 4.5 stroke, Callies 6.8 Ultra-Rods, lightweight Diamond piston to
Ricks spec with .9mm ring package.

• Heads and intake by Rick; Edelbrock Super Victor II
• Mark Whitner 1600cfm new billet oval blade carb.
• 15.5 to 1, Q16.
• LSM 55mm stick.. Rick and Steve Lowe Jr spec’d, LS firing order

• 3400lb, 72 Nova, Leaf springs, CalTrac’s (hoping to have Santhuff coilovers up
front and their double adjustable shocks out back, currently running Strange in
this format)

I wanted to build a "dependable" motor that’d allow me to be competitive in 1/8 and 1/4mi grudge balls-out, motor-only class racing. We used to have a pretty cool group of stock suspension / appearing, nat. aspirated only .. 3000+ lb door-slammers up here in the NW that ran low 9’s and high 8’s and I really want to be a contributor in bringing a group like this back. In addition, this motor should allow me to be a fast S/S 10.90 index racer and run the local Super Pro Brackets.
I’d love to make 1150-1200HP and am thinking the rpm range will probably be 8600-8800 range.

I went 8.70s with my last engine.. 588 with some BMF385’s … this is a SERIOUS upgrade. WHEN i get the chassis dialed and on solid pass… I have no doubt I’ll be smiling.

Can't wait to get it together and on the dyno.

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Well since his SR20's are currently King..... now they'll all have wings!!! LOL
What does the wing do that cant be accomplished without the wing. I always thought of it as a bandaid to fix some particular issue but then I think that SBC head that Morgan produced a few years ago also had a wing.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Sure..

• 598ci
Wet-sump, 10.2 Dart Big M iron block, steel capped
Callies DS 4.5 stroke, Callies 6.8 Ultra-Rods, lightweight Diamond piston to
Ricks spec with .9mm ring package.

• Heads and intake by Rick; Edelbrock Super Victor II
• Mark Whitner 1600cfm new billet oval blade carb.
• 15.5 to 1, Q16.
• LSM 55mm stick.. Rick and Steve Lowe Jr spec’d, LS firing order

• 3400lb, 72 Nova, Leaf springs, CalTrac’s (hoping to have Santhuff coilovers up
front and their double adjustable shocks out back, currently running Strange in
this format)

I wanted to build a "dependable" motor that’d allow me to be competitive in 1/8 and 1/4mi grudge balls-out, motor-only class racing. We used to have a pretty cool group of stock suspension / appearing, nat. aspirated only .. 3000+ lb door-slammers up here in the NW that ran low 9’s and high 8’s and I really want to be a contributor in bringing a group like this back. In addition, this motor should allow me to be a fast S/S 10.90 index racer and run the local Super Pro Brackets.
I’d love to make 1150-1200HP and am thinking the rpm range will probably be 8600-8800 range.

I went 8.70s with my last engine.. 588 with some BMF385’s … this is a SERIOUS upgrade. WHEN i get the chassis dialed and on solid pass… I have no doubt I’ll be smiling.

Can't wait to get it together and on the dyno.

Happy New Year!
Thanks for that info. If you have enough cam and head, I dont think your hp goal is going to be an issue.

·
I kill parts
9,735 Posts
I asked about the wing/vane in the short turn before and then started playing with it. - My thoughts are towards air speed on the short turn and atomization, but I will say it worked on my conventional bbc heads. No loss in flow on a dry bench, and it made more power on the dyno throughout the range.

Them SR20's are sweet looking!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Thanks for that info. If you have enough cam and head, I dont think your hp goal is going to be an issue.
Thanks.. Yeah, I'm being told I should make this pretty easy, if not more... I'll believe it when I see it, lol... Cam is pretty healthy, upper 900 intake side and mid 900 on exhaust, that's all I'm gonna say on the cam. ;)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I asked about the wing/vane in the short turn before and then started playing with it. - My thoughts are towards air speed on the short turn and atomization, but I will say it worked on my conventional bbc heads. No loss in flow on a dry bench, and it made more power on the dyno throughout the range.

Them SR20's are sweet looking!

Thanks! I'm not a cylinder head wizard... but I'd imagine what you're saying is most likely true about the "wings".... Everyone has their theory / thoughts I'm sure, will leave it at that. :)

Thanks again... I feel pretty lucky to have Rick doing these for me. Can't wait!

Happy New Year
Jeff

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #76

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
8600 - 8800 rpm. Peak HP or Shift? I'm hoping thats shift.
I'm really not sure where the rpm is gonna be on this exactly, above 8k for sure, lol.. just basing these numbers off a buddy who had a set of Ricks heads on a 582 and comparable camshaft.. mines a bit more aggressive and these heads have a newer port so we shall see!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Well, looked what finally showed-up! Thank you Rick! I have no doubt they'll have been well- worth the wait.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

Absolutely meticulous. I can't wait to see the intake.

Custom Pistons from Diamond are in the works, stainless T&D shaft kit ordered, Ultra Rods with MP 3.5 bolts ready.. cam tunnel and lifter bores done. Getting a tad closer. :cool:

61 - 80 of 176 Posts