Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Haven't taken any pic's yet because it's still tacky!! Got a little orange peel in pass- quart and a bug which I got out of paint with tape. One coat of sealer- three coats of base and three coats of clear. I'll get pic's up soon.. Color is black. Not bad for a rookie but not a show car either. I'm pretty happy with it. Thanks for all the help guy's!!!! Just the shell is painted..

Bill

·
Registered
13,302 Posts
Don't worry Bill. They almost never come out of paint "perfect." Now comes the sanding and buffing. (If you choose to). What I saw looked great.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't worry Bill. They almost never come out of paint "perfect." Now comes the sanding and buffing. (If you choose to). What I saw looked great.
Thanks, I'll be sanding and buffing for sure. I knew going in I was going to get some dust and bug's due to the fact my garage is pretty tight for trying to paint a car. There's a damn pole in the center of the garage and on the other side of the car is a wall. Shirt came out of paints and hit the quarter but put the clear to it so I'm pretty sure it will sand and buff out. Just not the best set up (garage wise) to paint a car.

·
Super Moderator
46,606 Posts
Looks good,....now, don't wait to long to wet sand and buff. Today's urethanes are formulated to sand and buff the next day. It sands like butter and buffs easily. The longer you wait, the clear will get hard as a rock, and everything is much, much more difficult.

A week later,.......it's 10 times harder than doing it the next day.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Looks good,....now, don't wait to long to wet sand and buff. Today's urethanes are formulated to sand and buff the next day. It sands like butter and buffs easily. The longer you wait, the clear will get hard as a rock, and everything is much, much more difficult.

A week later,.......it's 10 times harder than doing it the next day.
Thanks and crap.. I was planning on waiting awhile. I still have the hood/hatch /wing and fenders to block out and then 2k and then wet sand. I do think the wet sanding made all the difference in the world for the out come. It had a pretty good shine to it before the clear. The wet sanding will be another learning curve!! Not so much wet sanding but the buffing will be.. Again, thanks for all the great advise. Everyone! Forgot... it's a tone of work unless you want it to look like shit. They was a few times I wanted to give up and sell it.

·
Registered
13,302 Posts
Just for laughs Bill, what would you charge someone who wanted the same job done start to finish?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
HAH!

Your Pal, Gary
That's a good question.. LOL. The question I would ask the person is what are you wanting? To do the job right it takes so much time and I would say to do it right $8,000/ $10,000. I guess it would depend on if it was just a re-spray or replacing floors and body panels. I really don't know but it is a lot of work and doing the same thing over and over to get it correct. I do know when it's all said and done I wouldn't sell the car cheap after all the labor I've put into it. A guy would never come close to getting his money out of it.. The key is the body work and the paint is the reward!!

·
FUCKING ASSHOLE SINCE '61
7,342 Posts
That's a good question.. LOL. The question I would ask the person is what are you wanting? To do the job right it takes so much time and I would say to do it right $8,000/ $10,000. I guess it would depend on if it was just a re-spray or replacing floors and body panels. I really don't know but it is a lot of work and doing the same thing over and over to get it correct. I do know when it's all said and done I wouldn't sell the car cheap after all the labor I've put into it. A guy would never come close to getting his money out of it.. The key is the body work and the paint is the reward!!
Welcome to the club, grasshopper!;)

Your Pal, Gary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts