Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you in their late 40's as I am or older remember how fast a 13 sec. Street car was in the 70's. In my H.S. days there was this guy who put a 454 in an Old Chevy Luv truck that just owned the streets, Nobody could touch this guy! I never saw him run at our local Dragstrip so I had no Idea just how fast it was. However I ran into this guy about 5-6 years ago and I brought up the Old Luv truck. He told me that thing ran a best of 12.58 back then! And I was kind of like "Gee that's it!" In today's muscle car era a 12.50 is pretty mudane, it's amazing how time changes your perspective on what's considered FAST!:supz:

·
Let the Clutch Out
17,686 Posts
Very True Statement, Back in the Mid 80's my Dad had a 1969 Nova , it was one the Fastest street cars in town . I look back at old time slips and pics it ran mid 11's @ 118 wasn't all too fast after all but to a ten year old in the Passenger seat with no seat belt it was a as fast as the space shuttle

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very True Statement, Back in the Mid 80's my Dad had a 1969 Nova , it was one the Fastest street cars in town . I look back at old time slips and pics it ran mid 11's @ 118 wasn't all too fast after all but to a ten year old in the Passenger seat with no seat belt it was a as fast as the space shuttle
Your Old man let you ride in that thing without a Seatbelt???:-Daw

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yea, I can remember back in the 80's when a 13 second street car was fast. Most kids today have it made. Daddy's fat wallet + technology = fast street car.

·
Registered
15,599 Posts
My dads car finished its go around at 10:30's in 1991. It is amazing how things have changed. All the classes and all the rules. All we had back then was RUN TUFF 0 - 12.99 SUPER STREET 13.00 and up BIKE ELIMINATOR 0 - ?? No pro tree at that time, but it was cool to deep stage and not go red. Hell, I grew up during the A.H.R.A. days, not many youngins remember or have even heard of that, LOL!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
The local fast guy here ran a 10.43 @ 134 at Green Valley, Texas the one time when he competed in organized racing (AHRA) and briefly held one of the HotRod Records. It was a Camaro with an L-88 - BBC, 432", aluminum heads, Erson flat tappet cam, tunnel ram with two 660 carbs. The best it ran here was 10.60 @ 130, but it did so all the time. He was only beaten once in heads up racing by a Race Hemi Dart from Kansas City, Mo. in a best 2 out of 3 race (he won one). This was late 1969 or early 1970. That car weighed about 3200 lbs.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
It's interesting that this thread should come up because I am forever telling the younger customers I deal with that I remember when I saw Aluminum Brodix heads on a BBC in a '79 Chevy truck back in High School... I remember thinking we'll never be able to get around this thing now!

A 450 h/p street car is an "also-ran" car anymore. And what's interesting to me is everyone thinks they can build a $8,000.00 engine and put a $1,000.00 tranny behind it and expect it to live for years to come!

g

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
my small block ford fairmont with a nash 5-speed and nitrous went 10.60's in the late eighties and i was one of the fastest cars on the street here. now my wifes driver street car runs 10.80's ON THE MOTOR.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Remember how many 10sec cars there were in the late 70s and 80s, until they went to the local dragstrip.
LOL, we had a buddy that bought a 911 Porsche and told us it would run mid 11's no problem, one night at the drag strip shut him up...16 flat was all it would do. We were running 12.20's and though we were king of the hill though...lol

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
80-83 I had a 65 Chevy II 327 Tunnel Ram, Ford Toploader, 5.87 Gear!!... Was my Daily Driver for 2 years.. Ran High 11's

I remember wanting a 10.90 car so bad I could taste it...

·
e85 & injection guru
5,391 Posts
zimmermans ruled the pottstown streets with two 9.90 novas and a 10.40 pick up in 1987 they were true small tire street cars

·
T5 & T56 building fool
25,285 Posts
I started going to the drag races back in the mid to late 90's and even then, 10 second street/strip cars were far and few between. Most of them were barely streetable and either BBC's with nitrous or small block gutted out Mustangs with an S-trim. Now days, 10 second pure street cars are everywhere and don't even get noticed.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.