Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Lord of Lords
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for feedback from anybody in the IT field that has dealt with mass PC upgrade/refresh projects which involve using some kind of software that will take an image of the old PC, and install it on the new PC including all installed applications, and of course new drivers for the new pc. We have ghost, and this is not something that will work because it's just image to image, there is an App called Acronis which is supposed to do this but we can't get it to work exactly right. Rather than reinvent the wheel I figured I'd tap the bullet to see if anybody has used anything.

The only other option for us is to do it the old fashioned way, image new PC, install all extended apps manually, copy over all user data manually, ect. Need an all in one solution that will take the old image, put it on the new machine, with all the new machine drivers.

anybody?

·
Fords Only
4,041 Posts
you could have the userdata moved to a share drive, can you build a new image on 1 of the new PC's then ghost it for the rest? going from old to new platform is gonna be a pita in one way or another. if you can build a new image for the new PC's then ghost those. getting an exact move for each user will be hard to accomplish IMO.

·
ProStock Jackstand Winner
25,123 Posts
If it is a new machine with all the same architecture, Jalil, then use ghost to image the new machine and then use that image.

When I was doing it, I made a boot cd that would map certain drives that had all the images. I could select which image I needed pertaining to that particular machine. I had 9 images based on harddrives, software, laptop or desktop, which monitor, etc etc... Marketing pc's had Photoshop, where Engineering didn't, but had Mechanical Desktop and AutoCad....

We never had to worry about personal information because no one was allowed to save anything locally. Everything had to be saved on their mapped network drive. If they did save something locally, and didn't move it to their mapped network drive, it was lost and we did nothing to recover it.

Don't make your life harder than it needs to be...

·
Fords Only
4,041 Posts
If it is a new machine with all the same architecture, Jalil, then use ghost to image the new machine and then use that image.
the OP says ghost wont work as its a direct image, I took that as different hardware targets / device driver issues

·
Lord of Lords
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The computers are on a domain, this is a HUGE company and it's shit we have to do all the time but now we have a project to refresh a ton of PC's and just want a simple solution. We have complete images built for the new machines but it has the basic software apps that everybody gets. But from there different dept's have their own apps, and others will have specialized apps.

Like I said we can image the machines, move files manually, install specialized apps manually... but we don't want to do that, will take way too long.

Our company doesn't use romaing profiles so that's out of the question.

The machines are all Dell's but they are older latitude D610's going to Latitude E6400's totally new technology and components so even if I took a ghost image of the old PC, and loaded it on the new PC, there'd be a ton of work reloading all the drivers, changing the SID, renaming it on the domain, adding it back on, just more work than it's worth.

·
ProStock Jackstand Winner
25,123 Posts
How many different types do you have? I had 9 different images which covered all the departments. It is time consuming to make the original images, but once they're done, we could build a machine in less than 8 minutes and that was 8 years ago

1 - 7 of 7 Posts