Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI been playing with my zex plate for few years now with ok results ,just want to see if more accurate way off flowing and checking fuel pressure
This is the way i do it ,i have holley blue pump feeding into your normal holley 12- 803 reg,one side of reg goes to fuel soleniond other side goes to fuel gauge up on cowl ,have had gauge sent away and checked calibration,
All i do is unhook line off plate put fuel jet in jet holder on end off line start motor turn pump on adjust reg to 5.75psi with reg using gauge up on cowl ,if this is wrong why is that ,and what would be correct way with gauge i have as do not have flow tool as i dont see what diffence flow tool gauge would do over gauge i have plumbed in to reg ,me always keen to learn
regards victtor
new zealand

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I always set my flowing pressure with the jet that Im going to be running.. I dont care how anyone tries to justify a holley carb jet.. same one every time.. could ever be more accurate then my way..

Kinda funny that my plugs are perfect every damn time too aint it.. lol..

There are alot of "old school" guys around here.. every time i ask them abot it.. I get the same old.. "just use the holly jet.. what is it a 73 they say use? How the hell can that be accurate for every jet in your pack?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I always set my flowing pressure with the jet that Im going to be running.. I dont care how anyone tries to justify a holley carb jet.. same one every time.. could ever be more accurate then my way..

Kinda funny that my plugs are perfect every damn time too aint it.. lol..

There are alot of "old school" guys around here.. every time i ask them abot it.. I get the same old.. "just use the holly jet.. what is it a 73 they say use? How the hell can that be accurate for every jet in your pack?
Agree 100%

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
It has to do with the actual pressure being the same and using a "standard" jet. If you call and ask Steve or Monte what fuel pressure to run, you can bet your ass they're telling you the # through a 73 jet.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It has to do with the actual pressure being the same and using a "standard" jet. If you call and ask Steve or Monte what fuel pressure to run, you can bet your ass they're telling you the # through a 73 jet.
yep. And your gauge is not as accurate as that big one that Steve sells.

·
Registered
527 Posts
If you tune YOUR car with YOUR guage and YOUR jet and it's working for YOU, go with it!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
The 73 jet is just a calibration. If you use the same jet to flow, adjust pressure with that jet, then it is repeatable. I do it, and it is easier than changing jets for each different jet size(especially on multi kits).

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
It has to be repeatable, If your changing jets in the flow side, how can it be repeatable?

The numbers don't matter as long as it is repeatable and you can make adjustments based upon what you see.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I pull the line right off my plate like Im changing the jet.. screw that into a 3 way block.. gauge come off one way.. and on other end i have the same style fitting used on a n20 plate.. put my jet in there (since my line is already off either to check it or change jet.. so hard) and screw a line on it.. run that line into my fuel jug.. cut shit on.. hit the activate button.. adjust pressure to my EXACT psi desired.

That way I know the exact psi flowing though my solenoid, my lines, my jet, and everything.. its damn exact.. I know the exact psi my fuel is running at going down track. and its "repeatable". theres nothing repeatable about using a "common known" size orifice, to dial in your psi, for another size.. and then expecting it to stay the same when u change jet? You guys have more sense than this.. i dont want to hear "that just what they say do" or "cuz xxxx xxxxxx says so and well im gona listen to him just cuz".. Why would you not want to know the exact psi to tune to?

Lemme ask you other guys this.. Do any of you even know what your cars actual psi is going down the track? Not what it is on the 73 jet but your exact kit?

Ive done several experiments between the 2.. using the holley jet and then using several different n20 jets.. the pressure changes with every single jet.. but nope.. yall say just use the 73.. guess i better go with the "conventional way" or "industry standard" .. I would hate to actually find a more accurate way of doing things..

Guess Pro Torque converters should of just called PTC and asked them the conventional way to build a converter too.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Maybe you are looking at it all wrong...... It does not matter what jet I am running in my nitrous system, when adjusting flowing pressure by the regulator. Meaning if I run my car and i start at 6.5psi flowing, then make a pass, check the plug, and it is rich. I come back to pits, flowing pressure again, and set it to 6.25psi. Make another pass pull the plugs, still alittle rich. Go back to pits, and flow/set to 6psi. Next pass it's right.... Does not matter what jet is in the nitrous kit. I guess you dont run a fogger, cause you can't flow a fogger that way!!

Not saying your way is wrong. It is just a calibration jet, not what is in your kit jet! The most important thing is a accurate gauge that is repeatable. If your gauge is off more than .5 of a lb, then you will waste alot of time.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Yeah I know its alot easier for me to make such a stand for this being that i run a plate.. but i can promise you if i ran a fogger i would be just as concerned with it.

I understand what you are saying about just having a way of measuring it.. but what sense does that really make? I mean.. if thats the case why dont we just dead head it at 9psi.. if it rich than we can just adjust it.. right?

Thats about how much sense yalls way makes to me..

If I ran a fogger.. I would have steves quick disconnect off my regulator for my gauge and I would pull plugs out motor and activate system.. I would know how my psi through all my lines, all my jets, and all.. prob be the easiest way.. we're all pulling plugs after a pass anyway. .

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
So you are going to flood your motor if you have a fogger??? That makes no sense!!! Some people are just set in their ways, and that's that. If it works for you fine, this way works for me and all the guys I know. I know alot of people spraying multi kits in excess of 400-600hp with no problems with a 73 jet in flow tool!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Y flow through the plate, noids, etc...???? You have no control over how it flows after the regulator anyways. The regulator is the only adjustment you have, other than the fuel jet!

·
Registered
270 Posts
In the flow tool are you using a 73 Nitrous jet or a Holley Carburetor jet. I made a flow tool and use a 73 Nitrous jet. And dose someone have a pictures of how the jet is in the flow tool thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
monte smith has said on here if your plate has 1 entry point use the jet in the plate.
if you have 2 or more entry points use a .073 nitrous jet.

steve like to use a .073 nitrous jet to flow all his stuff. like said before it is a good reference. you read your plugs if it is fat the go back and lean it out.till it is right.

as for a car mounted gauge there is too much vibration to keep gauge accerate. that is why we all use a seperate gauge for flowing. it does not have to be a high dollar gauge as long as you use it all the time to tune with.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Now we're getting somewhere.. lol..

Hel yea DONT use a car mounted gauge.. if it is all you have at the moment.. then use it.. but with caution. its better than nothing atall.. The first setup i did used a inline adapter with gauge port off of it.. and one of the little gauges.. I would remove my hose.. put my lil setup inline.. and also used a little single fogger nozzle.. put my jet in it.. and set it.. kept the gauge packaged up safely and only put it on car when I was checking flow.. It was the greatest setup.. gauge sucked ofcorse.. but it got me closer than a guess.. it actually worked pretty well.. but I wouldnt recommend it.

Now I have a gauge I got from the local Hydraulic store.. I guess its a middle of the road gauge.. not a cheapo.. and deff not one of the crazy high dollar ones.. Its a 2" and i can plainly read all increments.. 0-30psi was as low as they could get me though.. sucks.. but it'll do the trick for me..

Im still brainstorming on what to do with a fogger setup.. trying to come up with something that will be more correct.. and also be easy at the same time..

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
It does need to be a good accurate gauge. I'd be cautious even with a autometer 2 5/8 gauge!!! You need to findout the % that is the factory tolerance. That is why they have more expensive gauges, because they are more accurate, and repeatable.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts