Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some Sears gift cards burning a hole in my pocket, and I've been wanting an aluminum jack for a while. I have a hard time justifying it with my "real" money when I have a working steel one, so this seemed like a good time to look into it.

Anyway, I've read some bad reviews on their cheaper models, but the 3-ton aluminum (model 50244, $299) seems to be a better built one.

Just wanting to see if anyone here had experience with it, or any other one from Sears.

thanks guys

·
A bad example for others
35,766 Posts
Their cheaper aluminum ones are JUNK!

I got one for fathers day a few years back, used it all of 3 times and it stopped working.

I talked to my neighbor that bought the identical jack and he pulled his apart after it crapped out in similar fashion.

Apparently when they machined it they didn't get all the metal chips out and they were cutting the O-rings. He figured it would be easy enough to clean out and replace the o-rings but they weren't of a standard sizing!

Mine sits in the corner of the garage while my old standby jack that I've had for 20 years (but takes 20 pumps to get the car into the air) is still in use.:smt084

·
The Media has an agenda!
25,768 Posts
Craftsman tools came under fire in 2004 in a lawsuit accusing Sears of false advertising and consumer fraud for questionable use of the "Made in USA" slogan.[30]
While most Craftsman hand tools are manufactured in the U.S., many power tools and accessories are manufactured overseas, sometimes with the final assembly taking place in the U.S.[citation needed]

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know what I'd do without internet access on my phone. I was in the store and was close to buying the 3000 lb $150 one on a whim but decided to do a quick review search and all of the reviews I found were terrible. I think ill go get the 3 ton one soon

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,086 Posts
I bought their most expensive aluminum jack and it has been good so far. It certainly is not as sturdy as the steel version, but I like it for my race car. The steel one gets used on the truck, no way would I use the aluminum jack on my truck!

·
The Media has an agenda!
25,768 Posts
look for the "jack" thread in the forum at GarageJournal.com.....some guy did a 27 page thesis-analysis on almost every jack on the market...it was incredible read.

·
16,312 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I tried one of the Jegs alum jacks,,total POS! stay away.

Seen one of these on ebay and almost pulled the trigger. they do show up once in awhile at a considerably lower price then in the link. A circle track buddy has one, and it is the shit.
http://www.pitstopusa.com/detail.aspx?ID=17357

I still haven't bought one since sending the Jegs crap back,, still haven't seen one I could trust. The old one I use still does the job, it just takes all day.

·
Runnin Soon...
1,323 Posts
Craftsman tools came under fire in 2004 in a lawsuit accusing Sears of false advertising and consumer fraud for questionable use of the "Made in USA" slogan.[30]
While most Craftsman hand tools are manufactured in the U.S., many power tools and accessories are manufactured overseas, sometimes with the final assembly taking place in the U.S.[citation needed]
Craftsman hand tools are crap too. Nothing like they used to be.

·
Registered
19,374 Posts
Nothing is made here anymore. Good luck trying to find something that is. I got a cheap jack too. I bought a Lincoln 10 yrs ago works good cost alot but i think its made here.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've got the expensive, big aluminum jack
I hate the SOB

The biggest issue with it is that you need a solid 6" of play with the handle before it works

If you've got it deep under the car, and can only move the handle up 6" or so, it won't jack up
if you've got a spare foot to play with, it might jack up

If you an move the handle the entire length, 3 or 4 foot strokes - it works well and quickly
But rarely do I get that much room

·
Tire Waster
7,086 Posts
I am looking for a low-profile aluminum jack right now. I hate my 3 ton steel Craftsman with a passion. This piece of shit has a floppy handle because ths return spring broke, takes 30 pumps to lift the car, locks tight no matter how gentle you are with the twist handle and then drops the car. I want to throw it off a bridge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts