Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Analog guy goes digital....New to Grid / RacePak / Smartwire / Smartwire Key Pad / IQ3. Talk about jumping into the deep end of the pool! I also bought the Smartwire Key Pad.
I always like to look at worst case scenario as I totally avoid the KISS concept I’ve always followed. I understand at the end of all the wiring that’s going on right now, all this has to be programed. Let’s say I get fancy and have things like fuel pump on 5 seconds after engine starts and obtains xxx RPM, water pump on / off with fan, etc. I understand this will take many hours, days for me I’m sure. What happens if all programing gets lost and the laptop gets stolen along with any backup I probably failed to do. Is there a printed log book that would correlate to all of this keyboard programing? Yes I know I sound stupid...

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
The Racepak stuff stores all your settings internally in your configuration. If you lose your laptop, or purchase a race car with a bunch of Racepak stuff and no laptop, you do the following:

1. purchase a new laptop
2. purchase a license disc from a Racepak dealer. (not always necessary - you may have it or some models don't need a license).
3. install license disc into laptop
4. hook laptop to the car and pull the configuration into the laptop
5. save the config.

no help with any written notes or diagrams tho. :(

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Analog guy goes digital....New to Grid / RacePak / Smartwire / Smartwire Key Pad / IQ3. Talk about jumping into the deep end of the pool! I also bought the Smartwire Key Pad.
I always like to look at worst case scenario as I totally avoid the KISS concept I’ve always followed. I understand at the end of all the wiring that’s going on right now, all this has to be programed. Let’s say I get fancy and have things like fuel pump on 5 seconds after engine starts and obtains xxx RPM, water pump on / off with fan, etc. I understand this will take many hours, days for me I’m sure. What happens if all programing gets lost and the laptop gets stolen along with any backup I probably failed to do. Is there a printed log book that would correlate to all of this keyboard programing? Yes I know I sound stupid...
You mean like can someone write code so that your real run is actually behind what is being shown?
😉

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Racepak stuff stores all your settings internally in your configuration. If you lose your laptop, or purchase a race car with a bunch of Racepak stuff and no laptop, you do the following:

1. purchase a new laptop
2. purchase a license disc from a Racepak dealer. (not always necessary - you may have it or some models don't need a license).
3. install license disc into laptop
4. hook laptop to the car and pull the configuration into the laptop
5. save the config.

no help with any written notes or diagrams tho. :(
FYI ya’ll - I bought a installed / never run RacePak V300 from a friend and after owning it a few years am finally getting it installed. I have bought all parts and upgrades from Greg Kelley at http://www.motorsportsinnovations.com/ and he has been very helpful and quick to answer questions and shipping right away. Highly recommended. I had one experience with RacePak direct and I would throw all the parts in the trash if I had to deal with them on a constant basis!

·
Registered
375 Posts
FYI ya’ll - I bought a installed / never run RacePak V300 from a friend and after owning it a few years am finally getting it installed. I have bought all parts and upgrades from Greg Kelley at http://www.motorsportsinnovations.com/ and he has been very helpful and quick to answer questions and shipping right away. Highly recommended. I had one experience with RacePak direct and I would throw all the parts in the trash if I had to deal with them on a constant basis!
Jeff, this was my experience with Holley/Racepak as well. Before Holley took over Racepak, the support was better, but now, forget about it. I would have switched brands without support from Greg. He has gone above and beyond in helping me get everything sorted out. I wouldn't buy Racepak from anyone else.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Jeff, this was my experience with Holley/Racepak as well. Before Holley took over Racepak, the support was better, but now, forget about it. I would have switched brands without support from Greg. He has gone above and beyond in helping me get everything sorted out. I wouldn't buy Racepak from anyone else.
One huge reason I went with FT over Holley. I was on the fence and my friend who is a FT dealer told me to call Holley... I hung up after being on hold for 45 mins lol. A metric ton of free info all over the web for Holley but phone support from the company is not existent lol. Holley needs a separate line for some of there higher tech/race orientated stuff, Racepack/HP/Dominator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts