Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few hours today searching "vacuum pumps" here and other sites, it still isn't clear to me what the correct pump to use on my 406 SBC. It's a wet sump engine, N/A. I've come across RM selling their kit which contains a Moroso 3 vane, lots of posts saying to just go with the 4 vane and be done with it, etc.

I would like to go with the Moroso 22640 which is their base model 3 vane pump. It's well priced, they offer a 5" v belt drive pulley so coupled to my 4" crank pulley I'll end up with about 5600 peak pump RPM assuming 7000 crank RPM. I think I may even be able to avoid buying a vacuum regulator. (but would buy one if vacuum exceeded 12") I do plan to run the high vacuum crank seals, plug the dipstick tube, use positive seals, seal the distributor, etc. Rings are a custom set from total seal, 1/16 compression, Napier second, 8# oil ring, no back cuts, no gas ports.

Is this pump going to achieve 10" of vacuum on this engine?

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
After a few hours today searching "vacuum pumps" here and other sites, it still isn't clear to me what the correct pump to use on my 406 SBC. It's a wet sump engine, N/A. I've come across RM selling their kit which contains a Moroso 3 vane, lots of posts saying to just go with the 4 vane and be done with it, etc.

I would like to go with the Moroso 22640 which is their base model 3 vane pump. It's well priced, they offer a 5" v belt drive pulley so coupled to my 4" crank pulley I'll end up with about 5600 peak pump RPM assuming 7000 crank RPM. I think I may even be able to avoid buying a vacuum regulator. (but would buy one if vacuum exceeded 12") I do plan to run the high vacuum crank seals, plug the dipstick tube, use positive seals, seal the distributor, etc. Rings are a custom set from total seal, 1/16 compression, Napier second, 8# oil ring, no back cuts, no gas ports.

Is this pump going to achieve 10" of vacuum on this engine?
Doug, Have you considered looking at GZ Motorsports?

http://www.gzmotorsports.com/

Here is their pump guide, excellent quality
http://www.gzmotorsports.com/vacuum-pump-guide.html

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
i run the star machine pump, which I believe is a 4 vane, on my 409sbc, 3 or 4 should work fine. I would highly recommend star machine pumps, call james monroe at www.killerrons.com he will hook you up, best pump out there in most peoples opinion, it has a built in regulator, that you will need.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Butch, we don't deal with a supplier that handles that brand. If I'm buying parts, I'm certainly not paying retail. The Moroso pump is easily available, is reasonable to buy, and if it does the trick and allows me to use a crank pulley I already own, that's a bonus. Their line kit is pretty cheap too. Thanks for the link to their selection tips.

·
Butch
8,208 Posts
Butch, we don't deal with a supplier that handles that brand. If I'm buying parts, I'm certainly not paying retail. The Moroso pump is easily available, is reasonable to buy, and if it does the trick and allows me to use a crank pulley I already own, that's a bonus. Their line kit is pretty cheap too. Thanks for the link to their selection tips.
Doug, if you decide to deal with them in the future just call them up and speak with them. I'm sure since your a shop in Canada they will work something out with you. Great parts and service.

I will send you a PM,,,

Here is the airflow data,,,
http://www.gzmotorsports.com/compare.html

I run the VO101A Sportsman Pump (Have not hooked it up functional, but it mounts perfect and I decided to use what is called their UVPM (Universal Vacuum Pump Mounting Plate) bracket. GZMS also has mandrels that allow use of their Dayco Top Cog V-Belt that have a roll pin that fits "perfectly" in the crankshaft's key way

1 - 7 of 7 Posts