Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
T/S 368E
37,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Is he considered skill wise in the same ball park as the true genius' like Jimi, Jimmy, Prince, Jeff Beck, Eddie, SRV etc etc????
Or just a good rocker of his time??

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
no. Dont get me wrong i really like his playing on the first few gnr albums, but highly skilled he is not. hes good, but not great. Good feel, good note choice on some stuff. Shit Im a hack and I can pull off most of his stuff...lol. If you listen to isolated tracks of just him playing, its technically pretty sloppy. OF course he was whacked out of his mind most of the time on drugs back then so thats not really a surprise...lol
I know hundreds of more skilled or guys with way better chops that are not known outside of musician circles. Slash blowing up was a product of the whole GNR machine blowing up IMO

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
27,543 Posts
Slash is a great player with solid riffs and plenty of emotion. But, he's not any of the guys the OP mentioned.

·
Administrator
137,266 Posts
no. Dont get me wrong i really like his playing on the first few gnr albums, but highly skilled he is not. hes good, but not great. Good feel, good note choice on some stuff. Shit Im a hack and I can pull off most of his stuff...lol. If you listen to isolated tracks of just him playing, its technically pretty sloppy. OF course he was whacked out of his mind most of the time on drugs back then so thats not really a surprise...lol
I know hundreds of more skilled or guys with way better chops that are not known outside of musician circles. Slash blowing up was a product of the whole GNR machine blowing up IMO
Yeah, because Jimmy Page was a clean picking guitarist.. LOL Slash would make Page look silly...

·
Administrator
137,266 Posts
Jimmy Page.. one of the most overrated guitarist of all time.. He defines what sloppy solos sound like!! LOL.. Do I like Zeppelin? Who doesn't... but let's get serious for a minute here.. lol

·
Confused Racer
43,423 Posts
in for the entertainment.....

·
T/S 368E
37,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

So is the old tale that Jimmy was the most in demand guitar player of his time a lie???
I read stuff for decades that people would beg him to play on their recordings??

·
Registered
888 Posts
Slash Does a lot of stuff that he doesn't take credit for ( or did , don't know about anymore) and he can work a 6 or 12 string with the best of them. Back in the day I worked shows on the east coast with everyone from Willy, Cheap Trick, Ks' Choice, Poison, Winger, CRUE, GNR ( use your illusion tour) and Metallica (Black Album), Sevendust
Tonic, Cinderella, Ozzy, Skid Row, Etc etc. The thing that I like about Slash is he still acts the same as he always has, most talented musicians by the time they have been "on the road " as long as he has usually has gone off the reservation by now ....like EVH , Steve Vai, . Slash always seems "grounded" like Eric Clapton , Rick Nelson. Just my O2

·
pump gas 451 just
7,108 Posts
Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page were very talented, but inconsistent as hell. Slash is almost up there with those two skill wise, but he always puts on a great show.

Here's two that don't get enough appreciation...Peter Green and Danny Kirwan

·
Yellowbullet Overlord
27,543 Posts
Listen to him playing the national anthem before an LA Kings game. That is supposed to be one of the hardest songs to play on a guitar. The guy is pretty damned good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm134OjHRsE
Good rendition, but, the song is from from the hardest song to play on the guitar. It's really not that hard at all.

·
Registered
20,673 Posts
The best guitar player on the planet was Roy Buchanan...he could bend the strings like no other...and all the "greats" that the mainstream talks about, most of them gave the nod to Roy

·
Registered
20,673 Posts
1 - 20 of 212 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.