Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is worth it, but just wondered..... Is anybody out there that is fast with a nonflowed system? just curious to whatkind of times people are getting without professional help. If you dont mind, give info on setup, kit, and jet size???

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I'm sure you can go fast without it,BUT I think it is safer with a flowed system and some good help to get you started,after that read the plugs.I ran a 40 jet in a fogger and went 7.30's with no problems but as soon as I can get the money together I will send mine to get done.I have spoke to many people and they all say it's worth the money.

·
-----------------
3,683 Posts
I think that it is dangerous with or without a so called flowed system IF you are not careful in your tuning, take baby steps with any system and your gear will survive to race another day. most importantly reading the plugs.

·
I kill parts
10,213 Posts
I have not yet had a system professionally flowed but I do feel as though it's the safer route to go, especially when dealing with larger kits.

Torch a motor decent one time and it will cost you more than having had a better base-line.

·
RED ROCKET
8,632 Posts
this is my opinion..flowing is only part of it...even with the system flowed the tune can be very different than the flow numbers as all motors act a little different..the tune of the motor makes a difference as well..

biggest part of having one of the professials look at it is to diagnose problems or potential problems...example..weak coils,bad plungers..on a plate the spray patterns..just a few of what they look for..

your plugs are the windows to see inside the motor and what is happening..anyone with a decent size kit should have a plug reader and a flow guage to set the pressure.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i had a sbf 351 w 417 victor 7721 heads edl fogger 32/28 jet with edl box went 8.30/168mph had two good years tried 36/32 two pass lifted rings if i had it flowed it could of been in the 7s ill never know

·
The nitrous guy
7,189 Posts
OK, this may not be good for business, but here is my take. Does every system out there need to be flow tested....not really......does it help....yes. Racers on the whole, have zero patience. They want instant gratification and instant results. That said, taking the time to properly sort and sneak up on a tune, while starting from scratch, can be a very slow process, to do it right. Having a system professionally flowed, does a number of things..........first, you know that the system actually works as designed, has no major port bias and other things. Second, you have some actual flow data to go by and you are also paying for the experience of the guy doing it. We spend lots of time at the track, working with a vast array of different combos and gain valuable knowledge. So with flow numbers in hand, a knowledge of similar combos and years of experience, you will usually get help, that puts you in the ballpark very quickly, without having to make a ton of passes up and down the track to get it dialed in.

Monte

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Good thread. I agree with Will, and appreciate Monte's insight & knowledge too. Trips to the track trying to run down gremlins & trying to get the tune "right on" takes time & money, and a properly INSPECTED, INSTALLED, BLUEPRINTED, WIRED, TESTED, FLOWED, & JETTED is worth a ton in my book. Since I had my past 2 engines n20 intakes (540 & 665) professionally built, I have had no more sticky Noids, backfires, failed passes, etc. etc.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I went through this same debate for a couple of seasons, and finally decided to take the plunge.... I'm very anxious to get out next season with the new flowed, double cross plate and see how close the tunes are...

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good reply's everyone. Does anybody have before and after results? I have a pretty good grasp on tuning one from the plugs, and just wondering if I am at the point where it needs flowing?? I have a Edelbrock Vic jr plate as 2stgs, and a fogger as the 3rd. I am looking at a total of 600hp with all three guns shooting.

Thanks for all the informative replies!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I went 6.91 without any professional help (1800 lbs, so not as impressive as it sounds). But, I got pretty turned around at that point and went the wrong way. Might have even qualified for that race if I would have gotten a baseline to start from by getting everything flowed. That said, I'm stingy, adding the second kit, going it on my own. If (when???) I start hurting stuff, I'll probably suck it up and ask for help.

·
Registered
527 Posts
OK, this may not be good for business, but here is my take. Does every system out there need to be flow tested....not really......does it help....yes. Racers on the whole, have zero patience. They want instant gratification and instant results. That said, taking the time to properly sort and sneak up on a tune, while starting from scratch, can be a very slow process, to do it right. Having a system professionally flowed, does a number of things..........first, you know that the system actually works as designed, has no major port bias and other things. Second, you have some actual flow data to go by and you are also paying for the experience of the guy doing it. We spend lots of time at the track, working with a vast array of different combos and gain valuable knowledge. So with flow numbers in hand, a knowledge of similar combos and years of experience, you will usually get help, that puts you in the ballpark very quickly, without having to make a ton of passes up and down the track to get it dialed in.

Monte
HOnesty is always good for buisness....weather you're honestly promoting your services, or debunking the absolute need of your services.

That said, THANKS FOR ALWAYS BEING HONEST!

·
Trevor Stripling
1,508 Posts
Very well worth it. I recommend Monte as he provides actual flow numbers and tries to educate you on why he does things. You get more than stick these jets in it a this pressure and call me if you have problems.

I ask a very successful salesman what his secret to success was and he simply said "I try to educate my customers so that they can make the best decisions." Monte will flow you stuff and give you the information that you need to help you make good decisions at the track.

Trevor

Monte

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Very well worth it. I recommend Monte as he provides actual flow numbers and tries to educate you on why he does things. You get more than stick these jets in it a this pressure and call me if you have problems.

I ask a very successful salesman what his secret to success was and he simply said "I try to educate my customers so that they can make the best decisions." Monte will flow you stuff and give you the information that you need to help you make good decisions at the track.

Trevor

I agree. I've taken Monte's class and now I know more than most of the guys at the track. And most of them guys melt parts.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts