Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i noticed when i'm running a 14" open element air cleaner with a 5" K&N filter my motor seems to surge at cruising speeds of 45-50mph .when i'm using a cold air pan with a 6"dia 4"tall K&N filter and the pan sealed tight up against my L88 hood only getting air from the cowl the motor seems to run better and no surging

could the smaller filter and cold air only be allowing the motor to run with a richer fuel mixture , this be a issue of needing to step up in jets sizes then or ??

·
Bracket racer
13,290 Posts
Does the car have inner fenders? If it doesn't, the air under the hood could be very turbulent without the air pan directing air straight to the carburetor and possibly causing a probem....

·
Registered
33,118 Posts
How far are the bowl vents from the inside of the cleaner lid? Is either lid the type with the filter in it? The filter top lids have the expanded metal screen on the inside bottom of the lid. The air flow near such an irregular surface must be more turbulent than near the flat surface of a reqular metal lid. If a bowl vent opening is in the fluctuating pressure of a turbulent flow, the fuel delivery from that float bowl will fulctuate with the pressure. In any case, if a filter, scoop or air pan change affects the pressure at the bowl vents, the effect is the same as changing jets or other carb metering. The air filter is effectively part of the carburetor.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does the car have inner fenders? If it doesn't, the air under the hood could be very turbulent without the air pan directing air straight to the carburetor and possibly causing a probem....
yes the car has inner fenders and i'm running a 14" dia 6" tall K&N filter with a drop base air cleaner and the top is a metal lid not the extreme filter top so there's plenty of room for the bowl vents and air bleeds .the smaller filter is the same way with plenty of space beteween the filter lid and bowl vents/air bleeds

1 - 6 of 6 Posts