Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
SPEL CHECK
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it ok to use silicone for header gaskets ? i forgot to order some exhaust gaskets & want to get my junk running

i have stainless headers with flange plates so what do you guys use ?

·
T5 & T56 building fool
25,285 Posts
Ultra copper is the best. Be sure to rough up the surface of the header a little bit with some 120 grit sanding disc and clean the surface of the head really good too!

·
The Warbird
6,478 Posts

·
3,084 Posts
its okay to use it, just be sure you go the confession afterwards..

it seals good but a major pain to clean up IMO. especially if you have port-plates.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I make help make, engineer, RTV's and a bunch of other silicone products everyday. Hi temp red ( which I make) or Dow's ultra copper. Allow the rtv to throughly cure before starting your engine. RTV doesn't cure with heat, most of them are codensation cure, meaning they cure with moisture, not heat.

·
Aviation Section
25,491 Posts
All good suggestions but give the surface some "tooth" before the application of the Silicone, take a center punch and lightly tap the whole area to be gasketed, leave pock marks everywhere, this will give the Silicone somthing to hold to so it will not be pushed out, clean surface with laquer thinner, apply Silicone and let dry and go! Dave

1 - 20 of 24 Posts