Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a the Ford Taurus fan on my car that is commonly used on swap type set ups. The fan is 2 speed and is said to pull 3000cfm of air on high. In some of the articles I read the low speed pulls about 20 amps and the high speed setting pulls about 40 amps with a 70 amp spike when the fan is turned on. I have always ran the fan on low speed with a regular 30 amp relay with no problems. I was thinking of making a curcuit where the low speed would turn on via the thermostat switch like it does now then have the high speed setting on a toggle switch in the car so I could have the extra fan capacity when needed. I can only find a 40amp relay locally and I am little concerned to have a ~40amp draw on a 40amp relay especially with the 70amp spike on turn on. I was looking at ordering a 70amp relay on line then I thought that I have a brand new Ford style starter solenoid in my shop and I was wondering if I could use that instead of a relay. Of course the solenoid is capable of handling the amperage but I am not sure if the solenoid is rated for continous duty. I drive the car on the Power Tour so there is a possibility that the solenoid could be engaged for a couple hours in extreme situations. Thanks!

Steve

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have a the Ford Taurus fan on my car that is commonly used on swap type set ups. The fan is 2 speed and is said to pull 3000cfm of air on high. In some of the articles I read the low speed pulls about 20 amps and the high speed setting pulls about 40 amps with a 70 amp spike when the fan is turned on. I have always ran the fan on low speed with a regular 30 amp relay with no problems. I was thinking of making a curcuit where the low speed would turn on via the thermostat switch like it does now then have the high speed setting on a toggle switch in the car so I could have the extra fan capacity when needed. I can only find a 40amp relay locally and I am little concerned to have a ~40amp draw on a 40amp relay especially with the 70amp spike on turn on. I was looking at ordering a 70amp relay on line then I thought that I have a brand new Ford style starter solenoid in my shop and I was wondering if I could use that instead of a relay. Of course the solenoid is capable of handling the amperage but I am not sure if the solenoid is rated for continous duty. I drive the car on the Power Tour so there is a possibility that the solenoid could be engaged for a couple hours in extreme situations. Thanks!

Steve
Get a continuous duty solenoid.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Solenoids come in intermittent use, like a starter solenoid, which is meant to be engaged no more than 10seconds. Then there is the common continous duty ones, which are meant to be engage for max 60 seconds. Then in the golf cart industry Prestolite made a continous duty prolonged on unit that was meant to be engaged for exteneded periods of time. There is also an old school latching solenoid. Push button 12volts to it, and it latches on, then push button 12volts to it again and it lets go and opens. Hard to find them any more.

Further using a Ford style starter solenoid to switch low amperages will actually dirty the disk inside up and it will fail prematurely. It is meant to have lots of arcing inside, and that plasma is supposed to burn off the crude on the disk. Without the high arc, the disk actually gets too dirty.

Lots of 75amp relays out there. Why not just take the relays from thE taurus?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use this same fan and 40 amp relay would get hot after running on Hi continually. I never used the low circuit
I eventually used a solenoid from some company intended for sound systems that was rated for 100amps.

The amazing thing was that using this solenoid the fan ran considerably faster and was so loud that the phone nearby couldn't be used anymore as the fan noise was so much higher.

the solenoid i used was a stinger pro no sr200.

Use one of these and you will be thanking me later

Ed

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
I use this same fan and 40 amp relay would get hot after running on Hi continually. I never used the low circuit
I eventually used a solenoid from some company intended for sound systems that was rated for 100amps.

The amazing thing was that using this solenoid the fan ran considerably faster and was so loud that the phone nearby couldn't be used anymore as the fan noise was so much higher.

the solenoid i used was a stinger pro no sr200.

Use one of these and you will be thanking me later

Ed
For the record, Stinger does not make solenoids, or at least never did for all ther years I was in business. AQlmost north american ones are made in Toronto, at a company called CSD.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I had O'Reillys cross reference a BWD S55 relay. They found one in their store brand for about $20. I've been using it with my Thunderbird fan (same motor as the Taurus fan) for about 3 years without any problems. Advance has the BWD relays for about $35.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For the record, Stinger does not make solenoids, or at least never did for all ther years I was in business. AQlmost north american ones are made in Toronto, at a company called CSD.
Yeah I mistakenly called it a solenoid while the packaging for the part no I posted does say relay.
Either way it does make the fan run even better just like i posted above.

ed

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have run these fans on my S10 on the street for years utilizing a 2 - 40 amp relays. One on the high side and one on the low side. Initially had a problem using junk relays from the parts store. Once I switched to using good quality relays I never had a problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts