Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been wondering about this for a while now, but after yesterday and my 100 mile drive home from having a major scream and threatining fest with a local chasis builder that is very reputable i began to really think that is the problem me or is it that these guys just dont give a shit because im a nobody and they figure ill never get my car out. yesterday this prick called me a cheap fuck, but my question is this, if i pay you what you asked for, not asking if he could do it cheaper, but paying him what he asked for, why am i the dick. my issue is this, when you do the job, do correctly, like finish welding what ever it is youre welding like the inside of header tubes, the upper frame rails that you modified, placing upper shock mounts in the same location, not staggered 1/4 of an inch, placing the turbos 2 inches further out so you can remove the valve covers without pulling off the exhaust, making sure that the radiator fits in the car, how about being able to remove the inlet tubing from the turbos to the firewall with the front end on the car and best of all give me the waste gates that we discussed, and not slide the 44 mm in there that you tried, atleast a friend of mine cought that one or i never would have noticied. or is there an option that im not aware of that if done correctly its a couple of dollars more, fine ill pay. buttom line i talked to two other reputable chasis guys one local, whos always to busy, and one out of state, i ran my scenerio by them, thinking maybe it is me, but they both said the same thing, he just doesnt care. i know im vince nobody, but why is it so hard these days to get what you pay for, thats all i want nothing more, but nothing less.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I hear this shit all too often....Hey Vince Nobody....meet Rick Nobody. Yeah I'd be pissed too....:butthead: If there was a problem and additional work was agreed upon and completed then hell yeah...but if all you got was what you were supposed to get for an agreed amount...then hell no....JM.02

Rick

·
Eddie Haskell
7,850 Posts
If you don't like what you are seeing take your car out of the shop. Cut your losses now. I had a bunch of work done. Paid for it. Took it home and cut it all back out and had it redone at a different shop.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
This happens to alot of people not just you. I know 2 builders who are good on their word and when people ask me if I'll build them a ride since I quit doing that I send them to these tow guys. They are just good people who do good work at a fair price. Now I know lots of other builders and some are very well known but for whatever reason they have not done what they said they'd do for people I know so I don't recommend them to a average racer. Seems you just found one of the builders with an attitude. Hope you can work it out. RM

·
Registered
7,540 Posts
I gotta agree with Kevin.. If you dont like what your seeing get your car outa there... If anything goes wrong from here on out it's your fault..Knowing what you know now ,you will only have yourself to blame...

·
HeadCaseRacing
11,611 Posts
Take the car home and thats it.
Atleast you pay I have people that want want and then dont pay. I have a car now that I have hiding because the guy wont pay. I ask for money or give a list of parts to buy and NOTHING happens. So the car is ??????

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I know VERY well what your talking about.. I HATE sending anything out to be done, but I'm an engine guy, NOT a chassis fab guy or a body and paint guy. Every time my car has to leave my hands, I KNOW something is gonna come back not quite right.. I had a set of headers built, asked the guy a dozen times to make SURE he does not build them where they hang down below the K-frame, guess what, one was way up there, the other hung well below it, no reason for it, just fucked up! I NEVER argued price, just paid him!

Another chassis guy updates my chassis, he didn't have the specs, I had to get them for him, although he said he knew what needed to be done, he didn't until I got him the specs.. He welds in the F/C cage and welds it in jammed into the roof, I'm the one who sees it as soon as I go to pick up the car, now I have a nice radial dent in the roof, he has to cut the bar out and scab it back in...

Hey, I have been beat to death here by relatively small things, lets get a name here of this "known" chassis guy so we can beat the phuck outta him here on the YB!!!YBBitch:

·
Registered
340 Posts
This same type of thing happens in other forms of work also. It is happening to me right now. I am building me a new shop at home. I got a couple quotes for the foundation and concrete work and hired a guy for the job at the price he quoted me. I am into it $1400 over the quoted price and still not finished. When I brought it to his attention that he was over on the price he gave for the job, he said he would take care of the rest getting it finished. I should know later today if his word is good.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Pick it up and find another guy to get it done. Bring a bat and don't be afraid to use it. A couple of ass whoopins for shitty product and high prices should send a message to these builders. All he is doing is bullying you, stand up to him and take your car home, beat his ass if you have to.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
My first question would be is the guy who has the good reputation doing the work or is it some guys working in the shop?

I got to the point a quite few years back I pretty much do all of the work in my shop except for assembly and disassembly, I got tired of just taking care of the things that did not meet what I think my quality should be..

Secondly, does the guy who is working on your car ever go to the track any more?? well without someone paying him a fortune to go?

In any line of work people start losing their passion for it and it just becomes a job, With race cars (Where I live anyways) you can make double the money building hand rail or stair cases or gates than you can working on Race Cars... Chassis Shop prices are around $40 - $60 per hour in Oklahoma, I charge $55, cheap weld shops get $85 , it is pretty easy to start letting the quality slide if you start looking at the money you are making...

·
Registered
874 Posts
good luck i'm going through the same thing with my pro mod car

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Look, I may not be much of a business man, and I am beyond burned out in this business that has been beat down to the point that you have to work 24hrs a day to make a decent living, can't even make a few bucks on parts anymore and labor rates are not much better..

I WILL say that one thing that is as strong today as it was 25 years ago when I got in this business, is my PRIDE in workmanship.. Many other things may have wavered, but NOT my pride! I have done work for a number of customers that once in the process we didn't see eye to eye, it has NO effect on the quality of my work..

For example.. I just finished an engine yesterday, the bearings were not fitting like I wanted, on MY time I went to the crankshaft grinder and reground the thing myself to get the desired clearance, that added HOURS to the job, but it left as good as I could get it, would it of worked the way it was, sure, but not right is not right..

People can talk all the shit about me they want, but not too many can say I built them a bunch of junk that blew up, and thats NEVER gonna happen..

Nothing worse then paying good money for a job and having it come out like SHIT, when you know the guy could do better, then being treated like shit after that when you question something that has obviously been done sub-standard...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
when i innitially picked my car up from this particular chasis shop i thought that man this looks good, it wasnt untill i started putting the car together that i realized that this isnt welded or these shock mounts are stagered and not gusseted, and i cant get the valve cover off because of the turbo exhaust hangs over the corner or i cant get the inner cooler tubing out of the car either to pull the valve cover off, that comes from the turbos. and then the waste gate issue, its funny, he tries fucking me, and im the jag off. hes built some really nice cars that currently run in nmra supper street outlaw and drag radial. yesterday on my way home i was feeling pretty shitty about what just happened, so i called to appologize and just wanted an exsplanation, weather to much stress or maybe drugs? just call me and talk, i also said i would call each individual that i trashed talked about him and appologize, he has not called so fuck you chris from behind bars race cars. youre friend vince zajdzinski. and for any doubters, ill bring my car to rte 66 next week or feel free to stop by my house in manteno ill ,sorry my wife wont let me put our home address, call me on my cell and i will show you, 773 531 8582.

·
ProStock Jackstand Winner
25,123 Posts
Take the car home and thats it.
Atleast you pay I have people that want want and then dont pay. I have a car now that I have hiding because the guy wont pay. I ask for money or give a list of parts to buy and NOTHING happens. So the car is ??????
You don't need to hide it. You do a lien holdf on the car for services rendered. He either comes up with the money owed to you or the court will hand the car over to you.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts