Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I'm really liking Hissing cobras Mahogany deck. Next year I probably will disassemble my Timbertech composite down to the pressure treated frame and redo it. I'll have to price out different materials options.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I'm really liking Hissing cobras Mahogany deck. Next year I probably will disassemble my Timbertech composite down to the pressure treated frame and redo it. I'll have to price out different materials options.
View attachment 91215
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Not a fan of the composite stuff. They sag after they get hot and it looks like ass....Durable, yes, but a properly built wood deck will not only look nicer but they last as well if maintained. Wood is also easier to work with, cutting those composite "boards" is a pain in the ass and it looks like shit.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I see several brands, are they comparable quality? Thinking how often it will need stained if using regular stuff. Might be worth the splurge. Doing about a 12x12 main section, with about 6x10 wrapping around a corner to a side door.
I have a 3000 sf deck that faces a wide open section of a lake so it takes a pretty good beating but I have no complaints with it but 2/3 of it is covered. You do need to pressure wash it every couple years at least I do, I would never have a deck built with pressure treated pine, it warps, you get nail pops, and needs to be re-stained/repainted every few years. There are some hardwoods that would be as good or even better than the Trex brand composite decking I have but you will pay out the ass for it and it’s very hard to drive a nail in.

·
On the roller...
15,867 Posts
I pressure wash my wood decks annually. I don't even remember the last time I put anything on them. They look like new. I changed the decking when it was about 20. It's 10 years old now and looks like new after washing it. I use one of those rotating wand attachments. It takes about ten minutes a year to maintain while washing the house for the season.

For me there's just something about real wooden decking materials - especially if you're ever barefoot on them...

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
I prefer real wood. Recently I was checking out some composite materials and was shocked at how many boards were scratched right through the color layer. That would piss me off to no end if simply moving patio furniture or a potted plant left a permanent mark. I would only look at brands that are solid color throughout, and those are even more expensive of course.

cost
joist requirements (there are LOTS of sagging decks out there with 16” OC joists)
heat
color fading with some brands

no thanks.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
My father's office has a ~20x30 two level deck constructed of composite and it was installed in 2005. Still looks decent but molds over several times a year and we have to wet brush it. The composite is in good shape but all those hidden black plastic fasteners are disintegrating and causes loose boards. Also, a family of opossums were able to chew through the skirts and deck boards to make a home. My father put some pressure treated boards to cover those areas and apparently the opossums won't chew though that.

He says if he had to do it over again he would have done wood as it is much easier to remove and replace boards without having to remove other boards, end caps, railings and those brittle fasteners.

I will also add that a 2x6 made 40 years ago is was cut to the same or similar standards as today. You can always pick up a new one at your local lumber supplier. I don't think there is a true standard on the composite stuff. If you need some replacement boards 5-10-15-20 years down the road... Can you simply go buy some replacements for it? Is that company still in business or making the same product line?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I did mine with Azek PVC and Timbertech railings almost 12 years ago. Joists on 12" CL because it is flexible. I was originally going to go with Ipe until I saw the labor cost and the maintenance required to keep it looking nice was. It still looks as good as the day it was finished. A power wash every spring and it cleans right up. I've never had to replace a single board or fastener. No hotter that wood in the sun.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I am going through this right now. I have a south facing deck. The composite is so bloody hot it won't be usable. I out a sample out there now and not in the middle of August. I am going with one of two options for a 36 x 24 deck, pressure treated structure with red clear cedar deck OR a concrete patio.

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
79,683 Posts
THE WOOD HOLDING IT WILL BE LONG GONE BEFORE IT IS

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
This is a good post. I need to redo my decking on a dock. It currently has 2x 8's and has been together for 15 yrs plus and the wood is beat. Was looking at Trek but don't want to add joists .. I am considering using 5/4 decking.. Anybody have any drawbacks using 5/4 pt deck wood ?

Thanks

BobH

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
#
This is a good post. I need to redo my decking on a dock. It currently has 2x 8's and has been together for 15 yrs plus and the wood is beat. Was looking at Trek but don't want to add joists .. I am considering using 5/4 decking.. Anybody have any drawbacks using 5/4 pt deck wood ?

Thanks

BobH
I had a 5/4 deck for 20 years. Only drawback is maintenance...if you don’t hit it with a wood preservative at least every three years to slow the aging process it has a limited life. I used Penofin, then TWP over the years. Looked great when I sold the home.

Cedar turns gray from UV exposure pretty fast so if that bothers you seal it soon after building.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I see several brands, are they comparable quality? Thinking how often it will need stained if using regular stuff. Might be worth the splurge. Doing about a 12x12 main section, with about 6x10 wrapping around a corner to a side door.
I have the one that Lowes sells, directdek, and I love it. Expensive, but lasts and no splinters. Worth the money to me.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Yes it is worth it.

I don't know if it has been said yet (i didn't read the whole thread)
Composite decking has changed for the better many years ago.

·
Ass, Gas or Grass
16,812 Posts
41 - 60 of 62 Posts