Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I built stairs on my deck 2 years ago. I used the Veranda brand Home Depo sells. I used on the last home & it looked great 10 yrs later when we moved. We get snow and heat (95 today) so it gets a workout. Plus- it doesn’t split. Minus- it will burn your feet. I have a 10x38 ft deck I want to use the material on & replace the old split & knot holed redwood that looks like shit. For now, I pained the deck boards to match the composite. Good fall project before it gets below freezing.

·
Registered
9,488 Posts
yes just finished mine, better than wood by 10x at least. I will never use wood again. Getting ready to do the front "porch" with it. DECKORATORS TROPICS from Lowes. You do have to plan your framing for it and picture frame the perimeter so you do not see the ends. A few extra 2x4's.

View attachment 90818 View attachment 90819
20 years ago the Trex rep told me it was best to set your joists on 12" centers or else in hot weather they will sag a little and it's noticeable....

·
Registered
17,359 Posts
I've installed #1 No Knot Western Red Cedar, [very expensive] Cox Outdoor Wood, Yellowwood, the 1" decking boards from Lumber stores, standard 2x6s and Composite. Composite gets slick quick, but it looks good freshly installed. The Cox Outdoor wood is the best, it's #1 no knot Treated Southern Yellow Pine KDAT.

Reactions: ironpony

·
Registered
470 Posts
Wish I had known about using 12" joist centering as mentioned above . . . .

One thing not mention about the composite is that it is prone to having static electricity certain times of the year-one can get zapped pretty good when touching the screen door frame. Other than that (and being slick if damp on freezing weather) our 3 porches have held up great for nearly 20 years. The surface outlasted the half ass posts and framing underneath that the previous owner installed and later rotted away. A couple of years ago I upgraded the under structure and reinstalled the old composite hidden fastener boards with nary an issue from it. About the only thing I haven't liked about it is the dull off yellowish color but I can live with it considering I shouldn't have to mess with it again.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wood does last if you buy a good oil based stain such as TWP. Shit waterbased stains and home depot poverty wood is a bad mix. My porch is almost 10 years old and looks nicer then furniture in most peoples houses.

Utilizing something such as Camo fasteners that screw it at angle instead of face screwing will also help prevent them from checking and cuping vs face screwing where water sits in the screw holes.

Im in the process of building a 700sq ft deck off the back of my house and will be using wood floors and deckorators railing system as I like white railings and have not seen a solid stain hold up to the elements and protect the wood.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
A lot of it depends on whether or not you want to perform routine maintenance. I don't, I prefer a deck that provides relaxation, not goddamn work.

If and when I build a deck, I'll use plastic and it will be covered by an awning. Built my fence out of steel, would do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
We are considering an Ipe deck soon.
I did 2800sf of it in Torrey pines for an outdoor area off an office building. Beautiful stuff but has some maintenance to it. Needs oiled. Really looks bitchin though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
We are considering an Ipe deck soon.
I just built a 21’x42’ fence out of Ipe. Definitely the way to go. My deck and my dock I both built out of Purple Heart. A bit cheaper than Ipe, but not as readily available for most people. It will gray over time if left untreated and will last a lifetime. I also built my deck at my old house out of mahogany. It doesn’t even come close to either Purple Heart or Ipe.

·
Registered
8,681 Posts
I laid down a Trex deck back in 1996 when it first came out and it has help up Rey well for all these NJ seasons...... I wish they had the "hidden fasteners" back then because the stainless square drive screws I used look like crap especially when you see a Trex deck without the screws showing. I went with 12” OC joists.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
My composite deck has 2 issues I don't like:
1) The section that is in the sun has faded, and the shaded area has not. So, now I have a 2 tone deck.
2) On a sunny day, you can NOT walk on it with bare feet. It gets so hot you could grill a steak on it.

Considering the cost, I would not do it again.

Reactions: BLUEOVALRACER

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Pressure treated isn't what it used to be.
And the crap labeled as Top Choice warps just as much as the regular stuff.
My big issue is with the screws they sell to hold it down.
Bought a 5lb box of the super coated, torx head decking screws that had a lifetime guarantee.
After three years they rotted in the middle and the heads popped off.
Went back to the store and was told the company went out of business and they no longer carry that brand.

·
Off the stands for 2018!
19,703 Posts
Those are some big downsides. Anybody with say a ten year old deck have the same issues?
I have one deck that is treated wood and is 15 years old. I should have replaced it 5 years ago. Water sealed it many times. Still stains. Still gets mold.

Like the post above yours says.....composite stuff from 15-20 years ago pretty much sucks. The newer stuff seems better.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
We did this on one of our Houses last year at this time-the Posts are steel, and they cut the concrete, dug down 3' and put rebar in, and used Trex- it feels as sturdy as walking on your Living Room floor, and we couldn't be happier-

Attachments

·
Registered
411 Posts
My deck is about 22 years old. I built it with a pressure treated frame and Timbertech composite decking boards, trim pieces, stairs, railing and spindles. It was a medium brown color to start with and after about 5 years it started to turn grey. It gets mold on it just as bad as pressure treated decking boards which also leaves stains. I used all stainless square drive screws and stainless hardware. The composite has not deteriorated at all but looks like ass. 12" centers on the joists due to a 45 degree herringbone decking board pattern. I went with Timbertech at the time because they were one of a few that offered a railing system and trim composites. Pressure washing the TimberTech is a big no no. It roughs up the composite. For cleaning I use chemicals and a long handles scrub brush. I probably have 8K -10K in materials and I'm going to rip the composite off and redo it soon. I hope todays composites are better than yesteryears composites.
Don’t use Trex decking u will end up in the same situation

21 - 40 of 62 Posts