Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see several brands, are they comparable quality? Thinking how often it will need stained if using regular stuff. Might be worth the splurge. Doing about a 12x12 main section, with about 6x10 wrapping around a corner to a side door.

·
A Fine Example For Others
39,255 Posts
I see several brands, are they comparable quality? Thinking how often it will need stained if using regular stuff. Might be worth the splurge. Doing about a 12x12 main section, with about 6x10 wrapping around a corner to a side door.

Yes.
Lay it, forget it

·
Registered
10,450 Posts
yes just finished mine, better than wood by 10x at least. I will never use wood again. Getting ready to do the front "porch" with it. DECKORATORS TROPICS from Lowes. You do have to plan your framing for it and picture frame the perimeter so you do not see the ends. A few extra 2x4's.

IMG_1724.JPG
IMG_1726.JPG

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
My deck is about 22 years old. I built it with a pressure treated frame and Timbertech composite decking boards, trim pieces, stairs, railing and spindles. It was a medium brown color to start with and after about 5 years it started to turn grey. It gets mold on it just as bad as pressure treated decking boards which also leaves stains. I used all stainless square drive screws and stainless hardware. The composite has not deteriorated at all but looks like ass. 12" centers on the joists due to a 45 degree herringbone decking board pattern. I went with Timbertech at the time because they were one of a few that offered a railing system and trim composites. Pressure washing the TimberTech is a big no no. It roughs up the composite. For cleaning I use chemicals and a long handles scrub brush. I probably have 8K -10K in materials and I'm going to rip the composite off and redo it soon. I hope todays composites are better than yesteryears composites.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
People forget that wood can last 40 years or more but they get brainwashed into thinking that Plastic is the best or that "Vinal is final". Nothing could be further from the truth. To me, nothing beats real wood, especially when it's high quality wood. Pressure treated? Junk! Mahogony? Hell yeah! The frame is Pressure treated (painted Hunter Green) and the flooring/handrails/posts/spindles are Mahogony. They're 20 years old, as I built it back in 2000 with the help of my uncle. It's held up nicely and if it lasts another 20 until I'm 71, I won't give a damn at that point! I refinish it every 4 years of so with Benjamin More oil based Arborcoat semi-solid stain (Tan coloring) and Benjamin Moore's "Moorguard" paint (Green coloring).

·
Registered
994 Posts
I never used it but hear it doesnt weather well. No better than wood but more expensive.

Be safe, schick

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just redid mine. Trex transcend and black aluminum powder coated railing. Couldn’t be happier with appearance but does get hot in direct sunlight. Dad / brother both have composite decks going on ten plus years old. Menards house brand, both of them held up well and maintenance is low relative to staining every couple years. Mine was Roughly 400 square feet.

Personally I paid the money because I don’t want to deal with maintenance of treated lumber. My last deck, dead before it needs replaced I expect

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
yes just finished mine, better than wood by 10x at least. I will never use wood again. Getting ready to do the front "porch" with it. DECKORATORS TROPICS from Lowes. You do have to plan your framing for it and picture frame the perimeter so you do not see the ends. A few extra 2x4's.

View attachment 90818
Ironpony nice clean job. Have you thought about wrapping the rim joists and the support posts with some AZEK or another brand PVC. It might protect the pressure treat and eliminate weathering.

·
Registered
10,450 Posts
Ironpony nice clean job. Have you thought about wrapping the rim joists and the support posts with some AZEK or another brand PVC. It might protect the pressure treat and eliminate weathering.

yes wife wants it to look like stacked stone, I have my siding supplier finding some for her.

·
Registered
5,866 Posts
Nothing beats real wood, especially when it's high quality wood. Pressure treated? Junk! Mahogony? Hell yeah! This is 20 years old and I built it back in 2000 View attachment 90831 when I was 31 and now I'm 51. It's held up nicely. If it lasts another 20 until I'm 71, I won't give a damn at that point.

Looks very nice. What type of climate are you in ?

·
Registered
14,335 Posts
Wood is like composites, there is a hell of a difference in quality of various types.
Good pressure treated wood that is properly sealed/stained will hold up very well...shit from Home Depot put up wet and left unprotected will not fare well.
Same with composites you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Those are some big downsides. Anybody with say a ten year old deck have the same issues?
My mother did her deck in 2006. No mold, no discoloration. She lives in the snow belt in New York. She has never washed it, except for hosing off the cat shit a few times when the neighbors cat forgets where to shit. It's a 10x20, sun most of the day in summer.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Looks very nice. What type of climate are you in ?
Thanks! I'm in Massachusetts where there's shitty weather from November to May with snow and lots of rain during those months. From June 1st until October 31st, we have temps from the '70's to the mid to high '90's. It's held up nicely over the past 20 years. In fact, last week I mentioned to my uncle, "My deck has held up awesomely."

If I had built it completely out of Pressure treated, it would be checked/splintered/cracked, etc...." If I had built it out of Pine, it would have been rotted. Mahogany was the way to go, as it's a hardwood and resists rotting. I don't regret my decision, even though I've got to refinish it every four years. Nice things need maintenance - just like a cool car.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts