Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am kind of at the point where I am doing pretty good but I feel like I'm kind of stuck. I have a 2 year business degree but I honestly haven't really used it and every new job I apply for wants a 4 year degree. I'm debating on going back to school but its like a lot of people I know that have more degrees than a thermometer aren't doing as good as me so do I really want to accumulate that debt? Plus I am not really sure what field to even go in. There is so much outsourcing anymore. The most successful people I know don't even have a degree but anymore its becoming more and more commonplace that's what they want. I really hate the thought of going back but I really don't want to do what I am doing forever either. I know if I do go back I will have to go back form 3-4 years since it's been since 03 since I had my degree things have changed so I would have to accumulate a lot more credits to get a bachelors.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
If your "dream job" calls for it, do it. I never went myself, and sometimes regret it. I do very well, but still wonder if I could be doing that much better if I had gone. I wouldn't go just to go though. It would have to be a prerequisite for a job that I wanted. Too damn expensive if you have no direction IMO.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If your "dream job" calls for it, do it. I never went myself, and sometimes regret it. I do very well, but still wonder if I could be doing that much better if I had gone. I wouldn't go just to go though. It would have to be a prerequisite for a job that I wanted. Too damn expensive if you have no direction IMO.
I'm 27 now and I have been in the healthcare field for 7 years now and while I don't mind it I think if I got a degree in healthcare management it would probably help move me up. I dunno sometimes the corporate world annoys me too. I feel like I am surrounded by sheeple. I also thought maybe ITT Tech would a good idea. My biggest thing is I hate math

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I'm 27 now and I have been in the healthcare field for 7 years now and while I don't mind it I think if I got a degree in healthcare management it would probably help move me up. I dunno sometimes the corporate world annoys me too. I feel like I am surrounded by sheeple. I also thought maybe ITT Tech would a good idea. My biggest thing is I hate math

Have you ever thought of doing your own thing (business)?

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
80,410 Posts
ITS VERY..."WORTH IT".....IF YOU PLAN ON PUNCHING SOMEONES CLOCK.....

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I never went but I sent both of my kids to a 4 year school in state, it was hard but both today have good jobs with good benefits.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I have and I think I have some great ideas but I don't have the financial backing to do it. I am the type of guy I like to take something and make it mine and put my name on it. I am best when it's up to me to fail or succeed and I like that. I would love to own a business even though I know it would be more work, more time, and more on my plate but I would know it's mine and it would be up to me how well it went. The economy worries me because all though there are a lot of successful businesses out there a lot fail. Plus me being 27 even though I have fantastic credit I would think a bank would want a ton of collateral to do a business loan.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
IF U ACTUALLY PLAN TO DO SOMETHING WITH IT, THEN BY ALL MEANS "YES" EDUCATION IS KEY MAN. NOT SAYING YOU CANT MAKE A GOOD LIVING WITHOUT COLLEGE EDUCATION. JUST IT WILL BENEFIT THE SHIT OUT OF YOU IF, WHAT YOU WANT TO DO FOR A LIVING REQUIRES IT!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Only advice I can offer is just that... Advice...

I have two Masters degrees and finishing my Doctorate.. Is it worth it yes.. Is it expensive..YES..

With my Doctoral degree I am working on writing technical manuals for corporate training, and also work part time at the college level teaching ( Real good $$$$).. I have owned my own business, and worked for others. I enjoy what Im doing now as I have the freedom to choose when I want to work and how hard.. Lately I dont work but two days a week (by choice) as I am trying out being semi-retired at the old age of 47....

If you decide to go back to school, just make sure the school is fully accredited.. Last I checked ITT Tech was not an accredited institution but rather more of a trade school. Nothing you learn there will transfer to a 4 year degree..

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is the thing I think less than 10% of those with degrees are working in the field they have the degree in. Most jobs anymore just say 4 year degree and it doesn't seem to matter what its for. I work with a girl who has a criminal justice degree and she is a radiation claims biller.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only advice I can offer is just that... Advice...

I have two Masters degrees and finishing my Doctorate.. Is it worth it yes.. Is it expensive..YES..

With my Doctoral degree I am working on writing technical manuals for corporate training, and also work part time at the college level teaching ( Real good $$$$).. I have owned my own business, and worked for others. I enjoy what Im doing now as I have the freedom to choose when I want to work and how hard.. Lately I dont work but two days a week (by choice) as I am trying out being semi-retired at the old age of 47....

If you decide to go back to school, just make sure the school is fully accredited.. Last I checked ITT Tech was not an accredited institution but rather more of a trade school. Nothing you learn there will transfer to a 4 year degree..
My other thought was Indiana Wesleyan since it's based around working adults and I believe they are fully accredited as well. I'm just not really sure what to do hence asking for advice and opinons on here :)

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
First, there are a lot of people that went to college that are complete dumb asses and there are many people who did not that are very smart. College is no indication of intelligence. However, four of eight of my coworkers have gone back to get 4 year degrees. They have maxed out their promotional value and now recognize that. Now don't get me wrong; they all make excellent $. My boss is one of them and I know he is knocking down 130k or so annually. That may satisfy many people; but he wants to keep moving up.

I can tell you this, I have a bachelors degree and an A&P license with a total of 209 hours combined; It has yet to "hurt" me when it comes to promotions. The company I work at pays 100% of tuition and fees so I am thinking of going back and getting a second bachelors then an MBA. If I thought there was no value in that, I would not do it.

Also, don't think that just cause you have a bachelors degree you can just float through. It still takes hard work.

Finally, and I might get flamed for this, but be very careful if you choose to do an "online" degree. Many of those online degree programs, like Phoenix, have no credibility with companies. They are worthless. I work at a large helicopter manufacturer and trust me, they are not looking for new "talent" that never stepped into a classroom environment. There are millions of young grads from good universities that they will go after first. And becareful on what you say about them, we have hired some pretty fuggin smart young graduates lately that have stepped right in and done excellent jobs.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
ITS VERY..."WORTH IT".....IF YOU PLAN ON PUNCHING SOMEONES CLOCK.....
I do not punch a clock, I come and go as I please and I work at a large company. And do you not think there is any value in having a degree and being self employed? It is unfortunate that people discourage other people to not attend college. Would you discourage your children to go to school?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First, there are a lot of people that went to college that are complete dumb asses and there are many people who did not that are very smart. College is no indication of intelligence. However, four of eight of my coworkers have gone back to get 4 year degrees. They have maxed out their promotional value and now recognize that. Now don't get me wrong; they all make excellent $. My boss is one of them and I know he is knocking down 130k or so annually. That may satisfy many people; but he wants to keep moving up.

I can tell you this, I have a bachelors degree and an A&P license with a total of 209 hours combined; It has yet to "hurt" me when it comes to promotions. The company I work at pays 100% of tuition and fees so I am thinking of going back and getting a second bachelors then an MBA. If I thought there was no value in that, I would not do it.

Also, don't think that just cause you have a bachelors degree you can just float through. It still takes hard work.

Finally, and I might get flamed for this, but be very careful if you choose to do an "online" degree. Many of those online degree programs, like Phoenix, have no credibility with companies. They are worthless. I work at a large helicopter manufacturer and trust me, they are not looking for new "talent" that never stepped into a classroom environment. There are millions of young grads from good universities that they will go after first. And becareful on what you say about them, we have hired some pretty fuggin smart young graduates lately that have stepped right in and done excellent jobs.
I agree about the online part. Indiana Wesleyan has programs where classes can be taken online and some courses are on campus which is nice. My boss has her degree from there. I know a degree doesn't promise you anything but I guess I am looking at it from a standpoint that it shows you took it upon yourself to further educate yourself and better yourself. I guess the good thing is I already have a lot of real world working experience.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I do not punch a clock, I come and go as I please and I work at a large company. And do you not think there is any value in having a degree and being self employed? It is unfortunate that people discourage other people to not attend college. Would you discourage your children to go to school?
It depends on the situation if I would discourage them. If it was for a BS degree in liberal arts...yes I would say you don't need it. But if they went for something useful in a field where they could get a great paying job...then I would say go for it. To many people think a degree will get them their dream job or more moeny. School isn't for everyone and a degree doesn't mean they actually know anymore than before they started (it just shows they showed up and passed). I laugh when I see all the warehouse manager posting requiring a degree in "logistics managment". I guess simple inventory control and common sense need to be taught anymore.

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
I'll say this....I've met college graduates that are dumber than a stump. I guess it just depends on what you're doing.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
A lot of good info here.....agree with most of it.

Unless you are in sales or something similar where your bottom line results speak for themselves, not having a respected 4 year degree will ultimately limit your income potential. Even then, medical and engineering type sales require a degree.

My wife is a Senior Analyst at the local utility, has worked there 26+ years. She's the expert at what she does and they are pushing her to get a degree. She could retire in 8 years at 50 years old.....it makes no sense. There is nothing at school she could learn that would make her a better employee....what she does is very specialized.

I went to college for a year out of high school, hated it. Worked 5 years and went back and got a degree in Mechanical Engineering. Took me 5-1/2 years because I was working at the same time.

I've owned my business since I was 19, but my engineering degree has paid me back in spades. Stuff I learned in school allows us to build a better product more efficiently. It allows us to solve customer's problems where others have failed.

Also, having BSME on my business card and professional resume creates instant credibility with many professional-types we do business with. It opens doors where we normally may not get a second look. It establishes my company as having a level of expertise a notch above many of our competitors. It takes us from "just another company" to "maybe these guys know something that can help us". We fab & manufacture steel products and deal with Architects, Engineers, General Contractors, Builders and the Government. I'm sometimes amazed that the lack of engineering expertise some of my competitors have.....and these are big successful companies.

With that said, sometimes it don't mean shit, and sometimes I'm an instant asshole! :p

So, for me, I disagree with CAPS that it only applies if you are working for "the man". :p But in general, that's probably true....

I had to pay for school and walked out owing $40,000 in student loans. They are pretty generous about payback, took me awhile, but it was worth it.

FWIW, my advice is you can't go wrong going to school. The older you get, the harder it is to go back! If you have the opportunity to make it happen, do it.

I will say the person makes the degree, not the degree makes the person. It's what you do with it that counts. If you are successful with a degree, you have the "stuff" to be successful without it too....it's just a tool in your toolbox and, like most of us....we have a shitload of tools!

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
80,410 Posts
LOL....I THINK YOU TOOK MY POST WRONG....I THINK EDUCATION IS KEY IN ALL ASPECTS OF BUSINESS....BUT I ALSO BELIEVE THAT THERE'S NO BETTER EDUCATION THAN REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE.....AS FAR AS THE CHILDREN COMMENT....I WOULD NEVER DISCOURAGE MY CHILDREN NOT TO GO TO COLLEGE....JUST THE OPPOSITE

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
80,410 Posts
I WILL ALSO ADD....THAT... "WHO YOU KNOW"....IS EVEN MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUR LEVEL OF EDUCATION....IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS OF COURSE.....SO YOU'RE SELF EMPLOYED?

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
College is VERY important in todays working world. It is also very important to get it over as quickly as possible. Many have ran into the "age" discrimination B/S because many big companys want "young energetic" single people. Its all up to you, but if decide to not go, its my opinion you just closed 90% of your doors.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts