Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it necessary to clear out the carb before making a pass with a N/A engine? Ive been told yes and no. I do it but if it isnt necassary or doesnt really have a benefit then Im not going to do it anymore. Whats your input

*Pull in to the water
*Put glide in high gear
*Let er rip to about 6-6500
*Release after a little smoke
*Lign myself up
*Stage first bulb
*clean motor out a couple times
*Pull in to stage
*Close my shield
*Turn on w/pump
*Hit t/Brake button
*To the floor
*SEE-YA!!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Is it necessary to clear out the carb before making a pass with a N/A engine? Ive been told yes and no. I do it but if it isnt necassary or doesnt really have a benefit then Im not going to do it anymore. Whats your input

*Pull in to the water
*Put glide in high gear
*Let er rip to about 6-6500
*Release after a little smoke
*Lign myself up
*Stage first bulb
*clean motor out a couple times
*Pull in to stage
*Close my shield
*Turn on w/pump
*Hit t/Brake button
*To the floor
*SEE-YA!!!!
Soccer:

·
Registered
8,147 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
might be just me but that seems like alot of stuff to do after you have the second bulb lit
the idea is you should be able to leave when u put the second bulb on
just my opinion though

·
YB Managing Editor
50,775 Posts
Really you're not clearing out the carb. You're clearing out your intake runners of any fuel that may have dump when you finished your burnout. :smt023
Posted via Mobile Device

·
aka hulk
4,965 Posts
might be just me but that seems like alot of stuff to do after you have the second bulb lit
just my opinion though
x2, as for clearing out the carb...if its a quality built carb,[pro systems,cubic,book,] there should be no need to IMOP.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I clear the motor after the burn out but well before I ever start to stage. Usually slip it in neutral and as I am stopping I wop the gas to clear it. I have a good carb and it doesn't need cleared after that. If I am running the NOS I will motor purge it 3 times before I stage it but that's to set the NOS system up, not the carb.

·
Registered
471 Posts
just my opinion though
I'll have to agree with ya on that, as soon as the second bulb is lit I'm on the break and matted. But leaving off a pro tree ya don't have time to play around...............Also I clean the motor before I ever put on the top bulb.

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I've also heard it referred to as clearing out the plugs. Any validity to that?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
just my opinion though

I agree with this..Pulling into stage should be the last thing you do before you get on the brake and leave.
I also agree with sticking with what works. I always get my drivers into a routine to stay consistent, so stick with it. I always have them clean it out regardless, once the prestage is lit, right before it gets staged. Just part of the routine if it needs it or not as I have some cars, that don't get cleaned out, run a bit slower. Especially on a footbrake car.

·
barndoorslammer
2,368 Posts
I'd have to agree with the others that said if the carb is set up right, it's not necessary to clear out the engine. I put the t-brake on after both cars are staged, but I don't go w.o.t until my top amber comes on...I don't like being staged at 4000rpm while the other guy is doing his nails...;)

·
Registered
807 Posts
I feel the burnout should have cleared everything out on it's own. You might need to if you had to slam on the bakes after your burnout and the motor gets a little loaded up.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If your loading the intake with so much fuel after the burn out that you need to clean it out, I would fire your carb builder and find another one.....with todays ignitions and the better volumetric effeciency of todays engines there is no reason to have to clean the plugs, clean the intake, or clean the carb.
If so then you better start looking for whats wrong.

I have done it as a distraction before....and i have also went up on the two step after staging then got out of it when his tree activated then back on for my tree....I think its a staging ploy....not anything to do with the way the car is going to launch.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
When an engine wants to stall after a burn out and you have to rev it to keep it running, or even after testing the transbrake in the pits. that is something different and can be fixed with an airbleed change...cleaning it out at the prestage light is more to just make sure it's NOT loading up..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts