Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems alot of classes make you run this stuff while they pump saftey stuff down your throats which is not a bad thing..but the question is them making you run carpet and your stock panels a saftey hazard?

I know the plastic abs panels onces on fire and smoking are deff not good to breath in for you an some abs's is toxic..im sure on the older rides foam an stuff used in the panels cant be good to inhall either once its on fire along with the reg smoke.

Then theres the carpet which is old in alot of cases and dryed out or even new stuff..

Fire and burns are the last things we want to happen to one of our fellow brothers or sisters in this sport and to call for people to have flameable objects around and under them has always striked me as odd.

I fully understand for the look and stuff but you could put a rule in to the floor has to be painted one color an maybe only door panels for the looks..after all how many fans really are going to go hey you dont have all your panels or carpet this aint a street ride..after they just watched it run a 4.90 or so..

Should it atleast be up to the drivers?

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ fire systems dont always work or do the job..how many fires have we seen or heard of on here where the system went off but the car kept burning..also if everything gos up in a instant you might not be trying to pull that button or lever but trying to get the fuck out and stopped instead..of going let me hit this and hope to god it puts all this out and then i can get out..

·
Registered
847 Posts
I think I'd be more worried about fuel gettin on my skin and burning me than carpet or door panels. Drive naked, skin wont soak up as much fuel as pants and jacket ;)

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ lol you drive on one of them back woods tracks with the old 70s metal gas can strapped next to you and a garden hose running from it to the engine or something??

·
SASQUATCH RACE TEAM
18,078 Posts
It seems a lot of classes make you run this stuff while they pump safety stuff down your throats which is not a bad thing..but the question is them making you run carpet and your stock panels a safety hazard?

I know the plastic abs panels once on fire and smoking are deff not good to breath in for you an some abs's is toxic.. im sure on the older rides foam an stuff used in the panels cant be good to inhale either once its on fire along with the reg smoke.

Then there's the carpet which is old in a lot of cases and dried out or even new stuff..

Fire and burns are the last things we want to happen to one of our fellow brothers or sisters in this sport and to call for people to have flammable objects around and under them has always strikes me as odd.

I fully understand for the look and stuff but you could put a rule in to the floor has to be painted one color an maybe only door panels for the looks..after all how many fans really are going to go hey you don't have all your panels or carpet this aint a street ride..after they just watched it run a 4.90 or so..

Should it at least be up to the drivers?
there was a tread on here about this same subject. some one mentioned some thing about fire resistant carpeting. i do agree that there is a lot of flammable components that should not be allowed.

·
Head Phuckstick
18,587 Posts
Safety? How about cutting holes in the FIRE WALL? Cutting the tin out of the drivers compartment and adding Carbon fiber? Cutting the floor boards out and only spot welding the replacements in, then sealing it with caulk? See where I was going with this. Not always do us racers think about what we are doing as safe but rather will I save weight or with this make my car faster?

Shannon

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh i know that but most what you are saying is structure stuff..its a lil diff with that seeing you got a 25-5 or better around you.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
Cut a small piece of carpet out of your car and hit it with a open flame. You would be supprised just what happens to it (Nylon carpet melts).

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,398 Posts
It seems alot of classes make you run this stuff while they pump saftey stuff down your throats which is not a bad thing..but the question is them making you run carpet and your stock panels a saftey hazard?

I know the plastic abs panels onces on fire and smoking are deff not good to breath in for you an some abs's is toxic..im sure on the older rides foam an stuff used in the panels cant be good to inhall either once its on fire along with the reg smoke.

Then theres the carpet which is old in alot of cases and dryed out or even new stuff..

Fire and burns are the last things we want to happen to one of our fellow brothers or sisters in this sport and to call for people to have flameable objects around and under them has always striked me as odd.

I fully understand for the look and stuff but you could put a rule in to the floor has to be painted one color an maybe only door panels for the looks..after all how many fans really are going to go hey you dont have all your panels or carpet this aint a street ride..after they just watched it run a 4.90 or so..

Should it atleast be up to the drivers?

You make some good points....

That interior shit burns pretty fast and intense:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWELOWVLqhE

·
SASQUATCH RACE TEAM
18,078 Posts
Safety? How about cutting holes in the FIRE WALL? Cutting the tin out of the drivers compartment and adding Carbon fiber? Cutting the floor boards out and only spot welding the replacements in, then sealing it with caulk? See where I was going with this. Not always do us racers think about what we are doing as safe but rather will I save weight or with this make my car faster?

Shannon

holes in the fire wall is a no no. i know i am welding up all the holes in my fire wall before it makes any passes.

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cut a small piece of carpet out of your car and hit it with a open flame. You would be supprised just what happens to it (Nylon carpet melts).
nylon catchs on fire also..i did injection molding for 7yrs an did all aspects of it from meterial handeling to being a mold setter....i made radio an trim peices for gm an ford..

when that shit is on fire abs and nylon you dont want to be breathing it in..some forms cause cancer.

·
Registered
6,278 Posts
nylon catchs on fire also..i did injection molding for 7yrs an did all aspects of it from meterial handeling to being a mold setter....i made radio an trim peices for gm an ford..

when that shit is on fire abs and nylon you dont want to be breathing it in..some forms cause cancer.

That is kinda what I was getting at, over the years I have had a few guys that worked for me that tried to use a heat gun to get box wrinkles out. That shit is very toxic and the smell lasts for days.

·
ls1 s/s notch on 28s
25,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yep the smell of some is nasty..some of the plastics mixed can blow shit up an some make other gas's..we made one,once and you couldnt go into the shop..with out a gas mask on..it burned your eyes worse then nitro and your lungs..it was bad bad shit...

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is the very reason that I don't have carpet in my car. I run a lot of street car shootouts and catch a lot of flack on it also I run in some of the 275 classes and they all require carpet so far my car has passed tect I have had it mentioned to me that it is supposed to have carpet but when I tell them why I don't they have agreed that it should not be in the rules.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts