Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a outlaw ss/drag radial car. The class I want to run has a 150# penalty for alky. It also has a 75# penalty for a air to water cooler so if I run alky I don't need the intercooler so really its only a 75# penalty. I will also have less weight in tubing and water so do you all think alky would make enough power for the penalty. How much more power will alky make? If I run alky do I need a radiator? By the rules a small block with a 106 and fuel injection on alky will have to weigh 3525#. The class is a 4.90 5.00 range .Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does alcohol make more power or is it just the convinence factor? Cheaper fuel no ice less duct work etc etc. If it doesn't make more power should there be a weight penalty?

·
Registered
25,667 Posts
Does alcohol make more power or is it just the convinence factor? Cheaper fuel no ice less duct work etc etc. If it doesn't make more power should there be a weight penalty?
power mostly comes from resistence to dentonation which lends itself to cyclinder pressure.hp & tq. meaning more timing at the top of the boost curve. on my little ford 35psi timing at 30*. there is m5 containing a small % of nitro, but mostly resented by sactioning bodies. i have a question for others, sorry to hi-jack- what org. or sanctioning body allows m5?

·
Collecting dust
4,534 Posts
I want to convert myself. However, the guys who are doing well with it at high boost numbers seems to think you can't make your engine reliable with it without a Magneto. The thought is, there is so much more fuel in the cylinder (as opposed to gasoline) that you have to have the longer duration spark of a Mag to completely burn the mixture with absolute efficiency. Apparently a misfire at 30+psi boost with that much fuel volume can quickly cost you a head gasket (or a bent rod, or worse) when the cycle after the misfire comes up with twice the volume in the cylinder. It does make sense if you think about it.

I haven't tried it yet, but I would really like to, but the cost of a Mag ($3K for the Mag, points box and matching coil) and the cost of a fuel system that can deliver that much fuel (Waterman mechanical pump $1725, cable drive $700+, converting to an external oil pump so I have something to drive the cable with $500+, extra set of injectors $500+, if you current ECU can't run 2 sets of injectors then add cost of an ECU that can run an extra set of injectors, OR 550lb per hr injectors which are $350 EACH). Sheesh! In a high boost car you can spend $10K converting. I can buy a LOT of C-16 for $10K and have no hassles with weight penalties or problems with classes with rules against alky, and you don't have to change your oil every time you run the car on gas (but I always do anyway, so that doesn't really apply in my case).

On the up side, the tuning window is bigger (more forgiving), and you can simplify the car a ton. No need for a radiator, water pump, or related plumbing. No need for an intercooler, water tank, water pump, or related plumbing and piping. No need to carry multiple coolers full of ice for the intercooler tank. No more buying $20-$40 worth of ice every time you go the track. And the biggest plus: $140 a drum for M-5 vs $680 a drum for C-16. Even though you will burn around 40% more OF it, your still coming out about 60% ahead in overall fuel cost, and way more than that when you figure the cost of ice into the equation.

Oh and one other nice feature: the weight penalty isn't as big a deal as it may seem. You will be taking a lot of weight OFF the car when you convert, so you now have the luxury of putting weight back on the car in the places where YOU choose (i.e. where they are the biggest benefit to making the car "work" best).

Over time it would pay for itself, but the up front cost to do it RIGHT is staggering.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
With that engine combo and a 106mm I would run the intercooler and gas. You should be able to run well into the 4's.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info everyone. I think for now I will run gas because that was my original plan and I already have a air to water intercooler, bs3 set up for one set of injectors and a weldon mechanical pump that will work for gas but, probaly not big enough for alcohol. If I can't run 4.90's with this set up I should quit anyways. Thanks again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts