Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://advancedbiofuelsusa.info/is-2014-the-year-of-e85

by Jim Lane (Biofuels Digest) As a Perfect Storm of price problems ends, will E85 finally find its market and help end a divisive debate over ethanol distribution?
2014 is the year of E85, if there ever was one. Or will be one.
Why? There’s more pressure on the Renewable Fuel Standard than ever — most of it focused on the problems of the ethanol blend wall. And, with a bumper corn crop and no relief on high gasoline prices in sight, the commodity prices are expected to be in line.

As of today, there are at least 11 million flex-fuel vehicles in the United States, capable of using E85 or other higher ethanol blends. The American Coalition for Ethanol projects that there are 15 million. There are roughly 2500 outlets that sell E85 fuels.
More importantly, prices appear to be coming in line, as a bumper US corn crop is expected to cause corn prices to plummet later this year and into 2014 — while gasoline prices remain high.

Which means that, by March, the underlying commodity cost in E85 will be roughly 69% of the cost of regular unleaded — well ahead of the break-even point where it makes sense for flex-fuel vehicle drivers, on price alone, to use E85.

The Iowa Renewable Fuels Association has been aggressive in getting behind E85 this year. This week, they announced the launch of its E85 Wholesale Price Listing Service. The IRFA lists E85 prices from wholesale distributors with the intent of increasing transparency in the marketplace, allowing retailers to review supply options in one location.
Here’s how it could work. Using the Absolute Energy model, corn ethanol producers could make an E85 product available in 2014 for $1.85 per gallon, wholesale. That might provide a compelling price point for consumers — a 30 percent discount to gasoline, which provides a savings in terms of dollars per mile. To jump-start the market, why not a promotional series of events featuring $1.85 per gallon retail E85.
The cost to ethanol producers? Not much, if any. $1.85 per gallon would value their ethanol at 3.4 cents per gallon more than the March CBOT contract — more than enough to offset the cost of $1.85 retail promotions. READ MORE

·
Wayyyyy more left in it!
7,059 Posts
That would be cool if it all worked like that. My race gas would be even cheaper!

·
Nitrous Junky
10,820 Posts
Now if we got a few more stations I would be set! yes my new engine runs on 170 Proof

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
My truck's flex fuel, but I still haven't seen an E85 pump anywhere near me.
I know the exxon on Rte. 309 in Orefield PA has it. It's just of the exit of Route 78.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Politics won't let it happen. There's not enough tax base on E85 for the suits in Washington.

·
Bracket racer
13,290 Posts
I wish someone in Bowling Green would start selling it. As many flex fuel cars there are in this town, I figured it would of already happened by now.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Politics won't let it happen. There's not enough tax base on E85 for the suits in Washington.
aren't they the ones that pushed it on us? There's two pumps within 40 minutes of me (western ma). I would love to spend $2k to switch my 13.8 comp. SBC over. But at the rate e85 is going it doesn't look like it'll be around long enough to get my money back.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Our King Demon is out right now getting converted to E85.... Theres a station 5 miles from the house that sells it.. Weighed the options and decided to give it a shot.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I have been running it and the closest station was over an hour away. This past summer they added e85 to three stations in my area! I'm pumped! (No pun intended lol)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ethanol is a loser. It takes more energy to produce it than it contains. Plus, it needs an entirely different distribution system. It will never be a viable contender to gas. A tremendous amount of water is required for production too. Water is too precious for life to sacrifice it making ethanol.

By the way, the US is now producing more oil than Saudi Arabia without any exploration on public lands. Only private land development is occurring right now due to the Obama administration's refusal to allow public land exploration.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Still can't find the stuff up here. There is one station in another city not too far from here that is supposed to be selling it but rumors are floating around that they will only pump it in cars that are flex fuel. A couple of guys that I know who have switched over to it cross the border into Buffalo to get it.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
E-85 is almost a thing of the past. Next to no stations carry it. No stations want to carry it. The automakers have nearly abandoned their programs.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just converted mine to e85 With The Help Of a good Friend Of mine on here. Works great And wish i would have done it a long time ago. I already had xfi And a full a1000 System With Custom made braided steel lines so i just had tos add The ff sensor And get The fuel.
As far as getting The fuel its no different than when i had to go buy Race gas. Carry some jugs when on my way to Work And get what i need.
One station is 20 miles From my home but only 10 miles away when i am work.
Real world thoughts?
As far as corrosion, contaminated oil, etc And all that goes here are my thoughts.
I dont daily drive my Truck And maybe start it up once every week And a half.
More later....

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have been looking to swap but don't want to waste money buying one if there wasn't any added power from a straight swap. I have used 110 fuel and 100 and they run the same. So has anyone ever seen HP jump with no other changes with 12.0 and under compression engines? Thanks Doug

1 - 20 of 21 Posts