Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
SBC 265.283/327/350 and BBC 396/402/427 were all factory internal balanced because that is the better way to do it and it was economical. SBC 400 and BBC 454 were factory external balanced because it was not economical to do it internally and external was. The natural progression of engine family increases in cubic inch was done more by stroke than bore. At a certain point, the cranks got so big(stroke) it was just cheaper to go external.

I imagine other brands of engines are done that way for same reasons. JMO.

Cheaper aftermarket crankshafts may be external balanced for economy reasons also. Better aftermarket crankshafts are internal balanced for best performance.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Really it's simple.

Some engine designs do not have enough mass on the crankshaft's counterweights to balance internally.... So they put counterweights external on the damper and or flywheel.
Will

·
Registered
21,784 Posts
Ask some of us 440-6 "previous owners" what we think of the effectiveness of external balance

When mine came apart, about 1972--3, some of the questions were......

Number 6? Number 6 rod?

Broke the cam? Did it break the cam?

Took the distributor, valve covers and intake manifold, and threw the rest in the garbage can

On the plus side, I didn't even have to drain the coolant or oil before I jerked the engine!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.