Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working with a TH400 trans.

Is it possible to remove and delete the hydraulic circuitry that applies the intermediate band when using a factory valve body? I'm building a trans for a buddy, I have built it with a "poor mans" frw pattern manual valve body (plugged governor tubes, drilled passage to loop gov oil), later on he wants to install a trans brake. Is it as simple as plugging feed holes and valve body passages and removing the band and servo pieces? Have I overlooked anything? Or should I tell him to plan on removing the trans when he is ready for the brake? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
You will have to remove the trans and disassemble it to modify the direct drum and replace the springs in this drum. Will also have to do slight mods to the case.The trans brake kit will have specific directions as to what modifications will be needed. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
19,698 Posts
Go ahead and remove the band now (make a blocker to limit pin travel) if you wish but as stated above , you will have to possibly perform some case mods and parts mods for the transbrake install.

Hutch

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Duh, I guess that would work! Leave it to me to make things much more difficult than they have to be! I was trying to think of ways to remove the hydraulics, never occurred to me to just limit the travel of the pin.

BTW, I'm drilling the bleed hole in the drum and installing the heavy springs in the direct drum. I'm hoping that is all in need to do internally for the transbrake install.

·
Super Moderator
19,698 Posts
There are many different spring designs that transbrake manufacturers use but if your sure the ones you have are the same thats fine. A common bleed hole size is .0625", drilled at the outside corner of the drum.

Hutch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts