Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just hope this class doesn't get bitched into extinction. If this thing gets big enough I believe the NHRA will have a decision to make. Fix the class and deal with the bad publicity from it or get rid of the class all together and wash there hands of it. It was a worry for us last year with the min. weight situation. Has anybody sat in the stands at an NHRA race and seen them empty after TF and FC were done. Without the HD money what does PSM bring to the table other than great racing (which in my opinion is not important to the sanction) on cool machines. I'm pretty sure that everybody agrees that NHRA's motivation is money driven and IMO if this get's big enough to start affecting that, cutting it off all together will be easier than trying to create parity from 3 totally differant motorcycles. Last I knew HD still owns their name and if they don't want to sell it to 14 other bikes it is trademarked and restricted. I'm sure there were loopholes to run the Buell name on the side of motorcycles that not one part is actually Buell. May actually be a hard decision by NHRA put under pressure by the biggest money in the class by far! If that big money pulls out what is NHRA's motivation to resume the class? Thing that sucks about bitchin this class into extinction is there is no place for my PSM friends to run these very expensive motorcycles. Hell even the Manufacturers Cup all motorcycle race doesn't have a class for them and they have a place for the almost extinct Funnybikes to run!

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
I think thats why HD/VHR is doing what they`re doing...Gonna dominate this year and the class will go away.....

·
Registered
406 Posts
think as long as H-D keeps throwing big money to the NHRA it will stay the way it is. And just think of all the money V&H is making of the deal too. Sad thing is I dont see any changes coming soon. I Love watching racing and going to the track. But I cant see spending the Money anymore to goto a NHRA circus. I'll just watch it on the shitty ESPN recorded shows.

·
2 wheels,no cage,250mph
6,993 Posts
Replace them with nitro bikes.Then people will stay in the stands. It was because terry was scared of the fuel bike that nhra went to pro bikes.terry (the pussy)convinced nhra that they were to dangerous.And Byron figured they could make more money out of pro stock than they could out of fuel bikes.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I highly doubt that. They couldn't keep nitro bikes together back then. Hell, the Harleys only got 2 bikes to run side by side for the entire 1320 5 years ago. Nobody wanted to pay all that money to watch the streetsweeper. Got nothing to do with Terry's testicular fortitude.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Terry Vance was scared to ride his ps bike back when we raced him in the early 1980s. He came right out and told everyone that he loved riding ,but was too dam tall and did not fit the bike well.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
ACTUALLY, I used to work for Terry & what he disliked was car tire bikes. He grew up on, & was an EXPERT at, clutch modulation & the handling of small tire bikes. The car tire, to P/S bikes, was what the Lenco became to P/S cars. It took away the skill needed to be REALLY good(Ronnie Sox & manual 4 speeds as a comparrison) at being the top of the hill as a rider. Terry was great as a small tire bike rider but was never comfortable on a car tire bike & the car tire really enabled so-so small tire bike riders to be more competitive, almost overnight. Unfortunately, he & Byron have no ethics now where right & wrong with the rules is concerned. They both go to the church of the almighty DOLLAR! Ray.

·
2 wheels,no cage,250mph
6,993 Posts
I highly doubt that. They couldn't keep nitro bikes together back then. Hell, the Harleys only got 2 bikes to run side by side for the entire 1320 5 years ago. Nobody wanted to pay all that money to watch the streetsweeper. Got nothing to do with Terry's testicular fortitude.
It's been spoken of many times before by people who know a lot more of the history than me. I am just repeating what I've read on many different occasions by different people.
Here's one example. post 1134
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66727&page=57
Another article.
http://www.readperiodicals.com/201203/2665124991.html#b

As Ray said,they are business men that go to the church of the almighty dollar.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm not debating whether he was or wasn't scared of the thing. I was disputing it as the reason they canned top fuel in favor of pro stock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts