Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run a rail, pipe rack, rear engine dragster, with a sbc 383 with Brodix T1's. It runs 8.0's in decent weather. I have wrung just about all I can out of this without spending $, and figure I could go a different direction this time. I do almost all of my own fabricating, and understand the basics of turbos pretty well.

I would like to step the small block stuff up to about 1000 hp. It is currently alky mechanical injected. I would go electronic if mechanical is just not practical. I see these articles of guys using turbos off of construction equipment and running well for street cars. While I take this with a grain of salt, I would like to save some money even if the combo would take a little sorting out. I'm not sure there is any reasonably priced way to turbo. Any suggestions?

·
mfi turbos rule
4,503 Posts
I currently run a rail, pipe rack, rear engine dragster, with a sbc 383 with Brodix T1's. It runs 8.0's in decent weather. I have wrung just about all I can out of this without spending $, and figure I could go a different direction this time. I do almost all of my own fabricating, and understand the basics of turbos pretty well.

I would like to step the small block stuff up to about 1000 hp. It is currently alky mechanical injected. I would go electronic if mechanical is just not practical. I see these articles of guys using turbos off of construction equipment and running well for street cars. While I take this with a grain of salt, I would like to save some money even if the combo would take a little sorting out. I'm not sure there is any reasonably priced way to turbo. Any suggestions?
first of all, what do you wiegh? ( car of course...)
if you will be satisfied with 1000 hp, the cost of those twins would be the same as 1500 hp.

mech injection works, but it takes a bit to sort it out...we run mech ninject and i love it.
where in usa are you? there are ppl that can sort it out if you need a ph number.

All the mech injection hardware will run into about mech fuel pump $ 477 , extra nozzels ( need 16 ) , extra dist block and hoses, enrichment valve ( hilb ) , extra springs and poppets for fuel syst,

modified intake, new cam , bov's w/g

If you want a starting point, and around 1000-1400 hp , try the turbonetics hp 66 mm ( 1400hp ), or garrett gt 35's ( 1200 hp)

DONOT go too big, you will run into spool up problems.

Let us know which way you go.

cheers
'
ash

·
mfi turbos rule
4,503 Posts
Illinois USA. Are we talking singles or duels? This will be a winter time project for sure. Where do you go and what do these Turbonetics cost?
twins..
we run twins in an altered ( same as funny car chassie)

355 cube mech injection
twin 57mm went 7.5 @ 181 iron heads
twin 61mm went 7.4 @ 184 iron heads
twin 61mm went 7.2 @ 191 alloy pro 1 darts

current comb ( minium testing)
358 cube
twin 66 mm tba

400 cube
twin 76mm tba

there is a guy on here called travis quillian, from Al.....
search that name
he can help
he has a 421 sbc door car went 6.4 's @ 230's

i use only turbonetics

sleeve bearing turbo's around $1300-$1500 ish i think
add $300 ish for ball bearing

get a hp 66 with s trim turbine wheel and .81 or .96 a/r exhaust ( depends on rpm you spin to to...)

and @ 1800 lbs it will run 6.8 - 7.0 @ 200 ish

cheers
ash

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have owned a couple altereds over the years. Just never had the success in bracket racing that I have in the rear engine car. Liked the altereds a lot though.
1725 with me in it.
Want something that I can put a bunch of passes on and not have to throw parts at it all the time. On a good season, I go 200 passes or better. If I could go 7.20's in cruddy air, I would be tickled!
This brings another question: Can these be bracket raced with any consistancy? How is staging for a bracket tree or even a pro tree? And finally, does throttle stopping them for 8.90 racing really upset them? It would be an in line throttle cable stop. The turbo would give great mph throttle stopping!
I know I will have a bunch more questions.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are very helpful ASH. Thanks a lot. I will poke my head in here regularly.
Everyone told me not to try throttle stopping injection, but I finally figured out it works if you go almost to idle. That is one of the two places that injection works! EFI would be sweet though.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
ASH has a lot of good info posted. I agree twin HP66 or a nice single B/W 87-88mm would be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.