Yellow Bullet Forums banner

101 - 120 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
No test data but I installed a 10 year old Davies Craig EWP80 plastic pump on one of my cars and was extremely impressed by the flow vs what it was pumping through. Their EWP150 controlled by ECU with a pulse modulated output and digital relay would be a great setup on a street set up with trunk mounted tank.

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
No test data but I installed a 10 year old Davies Craig EWP80 plastic pump on one of my cars and was extremely impressed by the flow vs what it was pumping through. Their EWP150 controlled by ECU with a pulse modulated output and digital relay would be a great setup on a street set up with trunk mounted tank.

I got a couple of EWP150's to test. I'm hoping for good things.

I've put the EWP controller on two cars. Pretty neat deal. Remove the T-stat and just run that bad boy. Works good. I don't think you would get it to work on a IC setup though. The temp set points are way too high to be useful.

·
Smoked another CTD
3,941 Posts
Water flow across the core is key. On our diesel sled pulling truck we run two Rule 2000s with inch feed lines and returns. The lines are route for as short and smooth a run as possible to and from are Shearer Fabrications IC2000 heavy wall intercooler. The water tank holds 20 gallons. On warm days we use 20# of ice a pass. On cool days we run 15#. That is enough ice to keep are IATs between 90°-100° where we want. We run a boost pressure of 45-50 psi and the duration of pull is anyvwhere from 15-21 seconds. We have competitors running two and three times as much ice as us to control their IATs because of a crappy cooler and mostly a lack water flow.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I will go back and look at my data from the YB Nats this past weekend. We switched our IC pump from an in tank Rule 3700 to an inline Stewart E558A before the race. The inlet air temp data should tell the story.
With nothing else changed but the pump my inlet air temps dropped between 5 and 10 degrees throughout a pass. Both are using -16 lines, solid 16 volts, and on the same PT4000 IC.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I think the ECU controlled PWM pump could he lower the temps a race application also.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
With nothing else changed but the pump my inlet air temps dropped between 5 and 10 degrees throughout a pass. Both are using -16 lines, solid 16 volts, and on the same PT4000 IC.

Nice! Do you cool the motor with the I/C water also? If so, any affect on engine temps at the end of the run?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Yes, I have a -10 feed and a -8 return for the engine. The feed is in series after the intercooler, but the intercooler and the engine both have dedicated returns. I can speak for the effect on the engine temps because the starting temps are different every pass.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This may be a dumb question but it there a reason not to run a mechanical water pump for an intercooler system as apposed to an electric one? A remote mount mechanical pump such as the Meziere WP430 is capable of flowing just over 100gpm at full rpm. Assuming you cant flow too much water too fast threw the system is there a reason not to use a pump such as this?

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
This may be a dumb question but it there a reason not to run a mechanical water pump for an intercooler system as apposed to an electric one? A remote mount mechanical pump such as the Meziere WP430 is capable of flowing just over 100gpm at full rpm. Assuming you cant flow too much water too fast threw the system is there a reason not to use a pump such as this?
I don't see anywhere where it says it flows that much??

·
Registered
704 Posts
No reason you can't do it. I know some guys are doing it in tractor pulling on some high boost diesel trucks. I also heard of a guy using one in a corvette but cannot remember his name, i want say he was out of Texas.

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
I talked with the Meziere guys yesterday. The pump does have some advantages, it also has some disadvantages, at least for a street/strip car. At idle it doesn't move the kind of volume that I like to see. And at WOT it's moving more than you really want (the latter is not a huge issue though).

It also has two -12 outlets opposed to a single -20 like most of their stuff does. Two -12's don't flow nearly what a single -20 does. And in all the applications I deal with the two -12's would need to be Y'd together which is just more plumbing and more PITA.

I really liked the idea of this pump. But I only see it being suited to "race car" stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you want information or help with the EMP pump you can PM me. I work at EMP and test them every day. I machined the prototypes 10 years ago now in engineering/testing/Failure analysis.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I use the factory mechanical water pump on my pro street bike for the w/a, I also have the ice chest on top of the intercooler. Running a Garrett 1000 horse core. My inlet temps only rise 25 to 30 degrees from the staging beems to the stripe. I see 68 to 70 degrees at 32 psi on the big end. Tank holds 2.5 pounds of ice.

What I like about the mechanical pump, is that lower rpms don't move much water. So it's not melting the ice tell it's up in rpm/boost. I can get away with not needing to carry more ice. Having the ice on top of the intercooler helps to. When I fire the bike up in the burn box, the intercooler is 30 to 35 degrees depending on the ambient air.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
So what do you all think about the rule 3700 pump with a -20 lime about 12 feet each way to an IC And heat exchanger both with -20s and another 12' back to tank? Will be on a street car that will see hours of driving.

·
Registered
13,634 Posts
So what do you all think about the rule 3700 pump with a -20 lime about 12 feet each way to an IC And heat exchanger both with -20s and another 12' back to tank? Will be on a street car that will see hours of driving.
It will work great as far as flow goes. But those Rule pumps do not like long term running.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
It will work great as far as flow goes. But those Rule pumps do not like long term running.
Hmmm so what pump would you run for that type of operation? I would get the stewart emp one recommended here but i would really prefer an intank pump. When you say the rule pumps dont like working long term you mean being run for several hours at a time or that they have a short life span in terms of total hours?

101 - 120 of 185 Posts