Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my pt3000 blew the top panel 5/8 apart. broke right down the welds. how common is this? it blew only making about 22lbs of boost. i just had a turbo failure right before this pass. i cleaned it out due to oil being in there. could left over oil residue cause this? there are no restrictions in any of the pipes. was running twin 88's and now switched to twin 91's. 540cibbc. on gas. all data looked good.any ideas?

·
Registered
49,513 Posts
work hardening, and you can likely have the cooler rebuilt

·
Keepn my pimp hand strong
6,768 Posts
Sorry to see that Mike ,I was doing the same thing to my sheetmetal intake when I had everything vband connected. Put rubber connector between intake and cooler problem went away.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to see that Mike ,I was doing the same thing to my sheetmetal intake when I had everything vband connected. Put rubber connector between intake and cooler problem went away.

i do have rubber on the t.body and then it vbands to the i/c.

·
HeadCaseRacing
11,611 Posts
How old is it? The back of that intercooler takes a beating with pressure. I have seen some inlets use a curved shape going in to the inlet to help spread the air going in

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Your picture shows poor weld penetration. Looks like the weld is half the thickness of the base metal. That is why it failed at the joint.

Yes it does flex and work harden over time, but a proper weld would have held better and if there was a failure it should have been in the base metal.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Had one do the same thing but much worse. It was destroyed not to mention destroyed the inside sheet metal in my car. It sounded like a 12 gauge shot gun going off inside my car right at the 1/4 mile. I ended up putting another blow off on my boost pipes. One before IC and one after. Never had another problem.

If you can repair it you need to check the core for leaks. Put some food coloring in water, circulate it and then check for the colored water inside the IC. If the core leaks ditch the IC and get a new one.

Good Luck,
-Mikie

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Material to thin for that big of a core. Material flexes and it cracks.

Bring it up this weekend I'll fix it for ya.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
well my pt3000 blew the top panel 5/8 apart. broke right down the welds. how common is this? it blew only making about 22lbs of boost. i just had a turbo failure right before this pass. i cleaned it out due to oil being in there. could left over oil residue cause this? there are no restrictions in any of the pipes. was running twin 88's and now switched to twin 91's. 540cibbc. on gas. all data looked good.any ideas?

Looks like you need one of these!!!

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=312128

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Your picture shows poor weld penetration. Looks like the weld is half the thickness of the base metal. That is why it failed at the joint.

Yes it does flex and work harden over time, but a proper weld would have held better and if there was a failure it should have been in the base metal.
^^^^^^this^^^^^

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mike are you having to run a oil return pump for your turbos?

yes. rb racing in ca builds killer pumps for our application.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

that is what we were thinking saturday right after it happened. chiseled probally never has any of these problems but my luck this year found one that the guy had a bad day welding.:(

·
Registered
2,850 Posts

that sucks !! if it aint one thing its another thing with these cars ..

1 - 20 of 34 Posts