Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 1500 later version truck and my 2014 inTech 26 ft. aluminum enclosed trailer are not playing nice together.

The interior 12 volt lights and roof vent electric fan openers don't work most of the time.

Sometimes the exterior lights don't work. Sometimes the turn signals also make the clearance lights blink in time with the signals.

Now the brakes don't work manually or with brake pedal.

Hooked the trailer to a buddies Ram truck and exterior lights and brakes work, but interior lights don't.

Suppose this is a ground issue. If the lights are working, if I take the hitch up off the ball, they quite working.

I have heard there is a recall for this truck on this problem, but local dealer says no.

Had it to local trailer place 2 times. They replaced the plug on the trailer and it worked better last year. Now back to same issues.

All the wiring is hidden behind panels and not easily accessible. I can see the overhead lighting is grounded to the aluminum frame. There is no dedicated ground wires to any interior light or vent and no easy way to get ground wire to them.

I am in central Illinois and not many places I know of to trouble shoot this.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My 2014 1500 later version truck and my 2014 inTech 26 ft. aluminum enclosed trailer are not playing nice together.

The interior 12 volt lights and roof vent electric fan openers don't work most of the time.

Sometimes the exterior lights don't work. Sometimes the turn signals also make the clearance lights blink in time with the signals.

Now the brakes don't work manually or with brake pedal.

Hooked the trailer to a buddies Ram truck and exterior lights and brakes work, but interior lights don't.

Suppose this is a ground issue. If the lights are working, if I take the hitch up off the ball, they quite working.

I have heard there is a recall for this truck on this problem, but local dealer says no.

Had it to local trailer place 2 times. They replaced the plug on the trailer and it worked better last year. Now back to same issues.

All the wiring is hidden behind panels and not easily accessible. I can see the overhead lighting is grounded to the aluminum frame. There is no dedicated ground wires to any interior light or vent and no easy way to get ground wire to them.

I am in central Illinois and not many places I know of to trouble shoot this.
If you lift the trailer off the ball of your truck and the safety chains are disconnected the trailer should still be grounded through your 7 terminal connector plug if it's still plugged in. Sounds like the ground is bad either leading to the truck side of the plug or it's pulled out of the trailer plug portion. There are schematics on line for RV plugs from the trailer to the truck. I would grab a meter and check the ground at both ends, truck and trailer at the plug.

·
T/S 368E
32,442 Posts

I have a spool of wire I use as a temp ground, make up something like that and test every location.

Great tip unhooking, try that 1st.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You like likely have a couple issues going on with your truck plug. A poor ground and you are not likely sending 12V aux power to the trailer. I bet your trailer battery is dead. Buy a 10 dollar trailer plug tester to find the issues.
Saying all this Intech wiring is garbage. They have tons of Chinese butt and splice connectors all over the trailer.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You like likely have a couple issues going on with your truck plug. A poor ground and you are not likely sending 12V aux power to the trailer. I bet your trailer battery is dead. Buy a 10 dollar trailer plug tester to find the issues.
Saying all this Intech wiring is garbage. They have tons of Chinese butt and splice connectors all over the trailer.
I had an Intech trailer and I didn't see any "garbage." Worked fine.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
The Amish that build the inTech Trailer are good craftsmen but when it involves a thought process, they are lost.

I would check to see if they ran a seperate ground inside the trailer plug.

When I order my inTech Trailer, I asked them to increase the size of the wire going to the brakes since I have triple 7K axles. They use 16ga wire for all the 12v trailer wiring. I tried to educate them that the brake magnets draw between 3A-4A each (6x 18A-24A total) and that the 16ga doesn't cut it. They had no clue what I was talking about.

Billy T.
[email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts