Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an s480 turbo that I need to somehow get a cold air intake tube onto. The radiator is blowing 180-degree heat right into the face of the turbo. Is there any tubing that could work to bring in fresh air in from the fender well? It will need to be semi flexible to route around everything in the engine bay. anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
381 Posts
If the turbo was turned around it would be alot better. Can you do that?
If that cant be done you could angle the rad so the top is out front of the rad support.
That might be the simple way out if you can do that.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Put a huge 4inch U bend with a filter on it??.. or down at least... I run a rear mount turbo... so it gets nothing but hot air... so i had to overkill my intercooler

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Can't you just Fab up some 5 inch aluminum to run over to the fender???

·
SB2.2 + pt106
1,928 Posts
remake the upper radiator hose.
go a 90* out of the upper intake angled down a little bit and a 90* off the radiator side and go through the belt.
then you have the most room for a u bend.
So the air filter would sit right under the turbo under the front frame rail

or

shorter radiator and have a 90 come off the turbo and aim forward to get air from there

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
on the cheap get some flexable ducting from home depo in a larger size then needed. and draw from the other fender well.

·
Registered
49,435 Posts
Put a filter on it and be done. the air comming out of the radiator down track is not the same tempature as the radiator itself. Plus you have alot of engine bay circulation. I think you are over thinking this.You'll do more harm putting a pipe on the turbo by restricting flow then the tiny bit of heat the radiator puts into the air. If you that worried about it put a defletctor on the rad side of the air filter but keep it off the air filter as much as possable.

you could alsk put a air deflector on the bottom of the k frame to drive air upto the turbo. I would do everything I could to keep from putting pipe on the inlet to the turbo charger.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
on the cheap get some flexable ducting from home depo in a larger size then needed. and draw from the other fender well.
Please don't do this I have seem it get sucked into the turbo.
Collins posted good advice!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I second the idea of re-designing the upper radiator hose. You should be able to swap out some fittings and make that hose dip below the compressor inlet. That should give plenty of room for a 90* pipe off of the compressor cover.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You'll do more harm putting a pipe on the turbo by restricting flow then the tiny bit of heat the radiator puts into the air.
This isn't always the case. Whiel toying around on a chassis dyno a while back, I pulled my intake pipe to gauge the results, and I actually lost some power from it. My intake temps were higher, which caused a bit of pre-ignition, which pulled timing out, and I lost power. I re-installed the pipe and filter for the next pass, and my power came back (as well as my IAT temps).

My results may not be typical, but it does prove that in some cases, pulling colder air through a pipe and filter element can be more beneficial that an open compressor pulling warmer air.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Can you slap a 90deg silicone coupler on the inlet of the turbo and run an aluminum tube underneath the turbo and sneak it past the crossover pipe? The packaging of that kit looks like it sucks with a complete engine bay. Throw into the mix a front mount with additional I/C plumbing and you'd have yourself a true nightmare.

You'll do more harm putting a pipe on the turbo by restricting flow then the tiny bit of heat the radiator puts into the air. If you that worried about it put a defletctor on the rad side of the air filter but keep it off the air filter as much as possable.
Couldn't be more wrong. I've never seen an intake tube, that is sized the same as the inlet of the compressor cover, decrease power. I have seen just the opposite in several instances. And sucking in hot air from the radiator is murder on post compressor temps. Especially in a non intercooled application such as this.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Since you dont have an intercooler, I would use water injection, I talked to Glenn on here about water injection, he loves it.

Then I met some local turbo gearheads here in town and they swear by it!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a meth kit with 2x#7 in the carb hat and a #14 before the turbo. I am redoing the upper radiator line right now to make more room. And then I am hoping I can flatten a 5" stright tube to clear everything and run it across the engine bay to the other fender. I don't want to put a u on it because the turbo will just suck up exaust, it dumps right in front of the pass side tire.

thank you all for your input. Any other ideas please chime in.

·
Registered
25,667 Posts
put the fan in front or run a smaller radiator and move it in front of driver. then get some tubing 90* go thru the front bumper. pvc is cheap-aluminium is pretty

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a meth kit with 2x#7 in the carb hat and a #14 before the turbo. I am redoing the upper radiator line right now to make more room. And then I am hoping I can flatten a 5" stright tube to clear everything and run it across the engine bay to the other fender. I don't want to put a u on it because the turbo will just suck up exaust, it dumps right in front of the pass side tire.

thank you all for your input. Any other ideas please chime in.
Sounds good. Post some pictures when you get it finished up.

Glad you hear you are injecting pre-compressor. You should benefit quite a bit from that alone, being that you aren't using any type of intercooler.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts