Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using methanol as a fuel. Both turbos feed a hat on top of two throttle bodies on a tunnel ram. Pictures following if I don't screw it up.
I currently have injectors low, and nozzles high that come on under boost. No intercooler. I am not measuring intake temps at this time.

So my first question is: Where would you measure intake temps on this setup? In the hat? Try to get one in a runner?(Im reluctant to add another obstruction into one runner) In a tube from the turbo?

And next is: Would there be an advantage to cooling the charge in the hat, or as it enters the hat even? If so,would you spray across the incoming air? Maybe point the nozzles up the tube backward toward the turbos?

Just have been thinking about this and hoping to get input from others' experience.

·
The Liquor Makes Me Think
2,850 Posts
Are the nozzles on their own pump? controlled thru a solenoid or thru a boost metering valve?
Sorry, i know these do not help your answer but im wanting to run a set up like this and im currious of your setup.
I have seen injectors placed in the volute or very close to the compressor outlet to extend the cooling time.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are the nozzles on their own pump? controlled thru a solenoid or thru a boost metering valve?
Sorry, i know these do not help your answer but im wanting to run a set up like this and im currious of your setup.
I have seen injectors placed in the volute or very close to the compressor outlet to extend the cooling time.
No issue at all!
I run a belt drive pump and regulator for everything. I tee off with a nitrous fuel solenoid plumbed to a simple distribution block. Hose to the nozzles. Should not run vented nozzles with boost. That solenoid comes on when I hit a designated boost level.
it works very well. No moving parts on the nozzles. One solenoid and that’s it. Fraction of the cost of a second set of injectors and no welding required nor fuel rails.
I am able to run very reasonable 220 lb injectors. I do all tuning within the injectors and never touch the nozzles system. Simple

·
A Senior Member
2,859 Posts

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
No more boost/power than you are running what's the point?? Its certainly not going to hurt anything but its definitely not needed on something with properly sized turbos below 50# of boost. Even then it's not a must have and quite a few people have run well north of 60# on a good tune-up and no other auxiliary charge cooling. Below these levels you are just over complicating the combo. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
No more boost/power than you are running what's the point?? Its certainly not going to hurt anything but its definitely not needed on something with properly sized turbos below 50# of boost. Even then it's not a must have and quite a few people have run well north of 60# on a good tune-up and no other auxiliary charge cooling. Below these levels you are just over complicating the combo. Just my $0.02
What is auxiliary charge cooling? If you are referring to an intercooler, I don't use one in this application, as seen in the pictures. But maybe that isn't what you are referring to.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Are you using the mechanical nozzles to crutch injectors that are too small or to cool the inlet air or both?? The primary charge cooling is taken care of with the EFI injector fueling. Nozzles added up stream would be auxiliary or secondary to the EFI injector fueling. These have the advantage of residence time. There is no easy way to ascertain what the actual inlet air temp is in the chamber, which is the only place it actually matters. That being said, I don't bother worrying about it. Car hauls ass, don't detonate or hurt parts, plugs look fine, SEND IT..........

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you using the mechanical nozzles to crutch injectors that are too small or to cool the inlet air or both?? The primary charge cooling is taken care of with the EFI injector fueling. Nozzles added up stream would be auxiliary or secondary to the EFI injector fueling. These have the advantage of residence time. There is no easy way to ascertain what the actual inlet air temp is in the chamber, which is the only place it actually matters. That being said, I don't bother worrying about it. Car hauls ass, don't detonate or hurt parts, plugs look fine, SEND IT..........
Both I suppose. I do need the fuel, and it makes the injectors easy to tune. Parts looked great on tear down. Bigger gaps with new rings. Fix the intake gasket issue. 20 psi next. Should crack the 6's. No use making it complicated I suppose.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I run 2x 160lb injectors in my pipes.. it went 3mph quicker on 3 psi less boost (55psi vs 58) with them turned on and the tune adjusted to suit.. im a fan of it, takes the edge off the temps and seems to help.. done 20 passes with them and wont be taking them off

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
To each his own, I personally like to keep the failure points to a minimum. If I need more fuel and don't want to buy larger injectors, I just turn up the base pressure without exceeding the mechanical limits of the injector body at full boost. ECU has control of both but I have seen solenoid valves hang open and closed so it can wash down the cylinder walls at low rpm or if it is supplying a significant portion of the fuel delivery and fails to open then real damage occurs without some form of ECU safety system. People have gone really quick/fast in the past on hybrid fuel systems but it was done due to not having the parts we have available now or from simply not having the $$$ to afford a high mass flow methanol fuel system. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Now I'm a supporter of doing it with a couple extra fuel injectors, atomization is on point and reliability as well. New Nexus system comes to mind with its 18 injector output channels.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts