Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Non me ne frega un cazzo
32,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a weiand stealth manifold and dart heads. The dart heads call for a 1204 intake gasket and the manifold calls for a 1205 gasket. The motor has under 6-800 miles on it and has always been a problem with the intake leaking no matter how many times i replace the gasket. Would a thicker gasket solve the problem and if so which one ? It would be for a run of the mill 355 sbc.

·
Registered
116 Posts
if its a gasket you need thicker check out this site ,,,FLATOUT GASKETS , they have what you need or will make it , plus ,, its possible if the heads were milled the intake needs to be milled also ,, does it create a vaccum leak, or its suckin from the bottom side ,, i block off the pcv any where vaccum can escape and i put propane into the motor and if it speeds up you found it,,just my 2 cents,,

·
Non me ne frega un cazzo
32,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine builder never said anything about milling so I cant answer that. I believe its sucking from the bottom of the gaskets. I use the felpro 1205 which is .060 thick and was hoping that if i stepped up to a .120 the intake would have a chance to seal better on the bottom.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
are you using gaskets on the ends of the block or rtv?

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Try setting the intake on the heads with no gaskets and use feeler guages at the corners. See if the gap is the same at the top and bottom of the corners. If not you need to mill something to get it even. Thicker gaskets probably won't fix the problem. I use thicker/thinner gaskets to raise/lower the intake so the runners alighn properly but they won't fix an uneven head to intake gap.

·
Non me ne frega un cazzo
32,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use rtv on the front and back of the block. Next time I pull the intake I will try it with the feeler gauge. The car runs good its just sucking oil and fucking up my plugs.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Try setting the intake on the heads with no gaskets and use feeler guages at the corners. See if the gap is the same at the top and bottom of the corners. If not you need to mill something to get it even. Thicker gaskets probably won't fix the problem. I use thicker/thinner gaskets to raise/lower the intake so the runners alighn properly but they won't fix an uneven head to intake gap.
I concur... ;)

·
Bracket racer
13,292 Posts
Mill the intake and it'll fix it. Ask me how I know....

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
Stupid question.......does it by chance have a vacuum pump on it? If so how is the exhaust hose routed?

·
Non me ne frega un cazzo
32,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stupid question.......does it by chance have a vacuum pump on it? If so how is the exhaust hose routed?
No vaccum pump. Just a true dual setup. Long tube headers to moroso mufflers and dump before the rear tire.

·
Non me ne frega un cazzo
32,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not for nothing but since im thinking about it. What if the gap is the same at the top and bottom. What would i be looking for if that checks out ok ?

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
No vaccum pump. Just a true dual setup. Long tube headers to moroso mufflers and dump before the rear tire.

Just checking, if the vacuum pump exhaust hose runs for a long way and then turns upward it will cause the intake gakets to become saturated and get it into the cylinders. I like to have beat my brains out figuring that one out.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Not for nothing but since im thinking about it. What if the gap is the same at the top and bottom. What would i be looking for if that checks out ok ?
If the intake height is good, and the gaps measure pretty close between the bottom and top on the intake flange, I would be looking for a problem elsewhere.. How did you realize you had a problem, I would assume it was because you had an oil burning issue, if that is the case, it may not be the intake leaking, and you are chasing ghosts around...

Make sure that the front and back of the intake at the end rails are not bottoming out on the block, I would figure you already checked that.. If you have no obvious issues with any of the aforementioned things, I would start to look at things like valve seals, ring problems, things like that. If you are seeing oil in the runners, and assuming it must be an intake leak, you will get oil in the runners even if it has a problem elsewhere, also when you lift the intake, many times it appears to have a leak at the intake, due to it wicking oil up from the valley, so don't be so sure your problem is what you think it is..

Just throwing some other ideas out there, sometimes we get tunnel vision, and can't see the forest amongst the trees..

Good luck!
Edward

·
all motor
4,461 Posts
If the intake height is good, and the gaps measure pretty close between the bottom and top on the intake flange, I would be looking for a problem elsewhere.. How did you realize you had a problem, I would assume it was because you had an oil burning issue, if that is the case, it may not be the intake leaking, and you are chasing ghosts around...

Make sure that the front and back of the intake at the end rails are not bottoming out on the block, I would figure you already checked that.. If you have no obvious issues with any of the aforementioned things, I would start to look at things like valve seals, ring problems, things like that. If you are seeing oil in the runners, and assuming it must be an intake leak, you will get oil in the runners even if it has a problem elsewhere, also when you lift the intake, many times it appears to have a leak at the intake, due to it wicking oil up from the valley, so don't be so sure your problem is what you think it is..

Just throwing some other ideas out there, sometimes we get tunnel vision, and can't see the forest amongst the trees..

Good luck!
Edward

Good info

·
Senior phuckstick
1,801 Posts
Look at the gasket sitting on the head and manifold surfaces seperately to see if there is an area not being covered on one face or the other.
It's likely more of a fitment issue as others have stated where the intake may be sitting too high.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts