Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have back to back dyno graphs where they just switched something like a stock Tb to an aftermarket one and showed how much a certain kpa jump is worth in hp...A cold air intake setup would work too...

Just trying to see what kpa is worth?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
It will be tough to just go on kpa. we had a spyder intake that ran real close to perfect we would see 101 but then switched to a super vic and saw 99-100 but made better mph. the runner lenght changed the curve and the fueling changed(more indicative of hp) but with less kpa. An intake change is not what your looking for but its all i had. LOL im interested to see if anyone has any data on tb or elbow changes...

also i forgot we added a scoop to our car with no other change. we did not make an n/a run but on the jug the kpa did not change much ~.2 but the air temp did and the tune did(picked up) and changed our timing window.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
good info now what is going through my head is what if you were able to raise the kpa of the Super Vic to 101 by opening up your intake track to increase your VE what hp would you see from that...

Just asking because I ran done flow numbers on a FTP 98mm lid and it actually only flowed around a 3.33 equivalent orifice plate...so around 84mm...So the lid becomes the choke point vs the Tb like most people think...so when most people switch from a fast 90/90 setup to a fast 102/102 but still run a equivalent 84mm lid, the Tb doesn't really matter what size it is due to the lid being the choke point...which goes to show how well designed the new intake runners are on the new 102...

So running some numbers again with a 346 revving to 7k will need around 700cfm assuming 100% VE...that pressure drop over a 84mm equiv. lid is 8.4" vacuum, while a 102 Tb with an orifice 4" custom lid has a pressure drop of 4.6" vacuum...so a difference of around 4" or 1 kpa...

This is why I asked the question...what is 1 kpa worth on a 500rwhp setup...might be only 1 hp or could be more...might just have to dyno it myself here soon when the weather clears up some...

It is more my own curiosity than anything...

I will post some pics later of what I have come up with...

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
you should know better then this? whats with bench testing? and maybe dyno this stuff......? your gona learn some junk info, don't wast your time.
The ramair ducts works at the track right? What dose the bench say with them sealed off under the lid? :rolleyes: same with a dyno
look at KPa driving the car at speed:D you should see the shit we had to go thu with the G8 and 10' camaro OTR intakes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I know you have to dyno and track test that is a given...just wanted to know what others have seen or done...

fast 102 will be coming soon, and this car won't have a choke point of an off the shelf lid...:)

already got something custom made up, no more 22* elbow either...straight delivery

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
where does the air filter go :)

That is awesome the big gulp is still around...

i wonder how much that hurts aero vs the hp gain...like a parachute on the front of the car

·
LSXTTFMF
927 Posts
If you want to accurately measure whether your getting more air or not then log the airflow on some pulls. If you are in SD it's really easy because the more fuel you give it to achieve a set AFR the more power it's making because it's getting more airflow. Log MAF airflow if your running that and if your running SD log the dynamic airflow. I've seen small little changes really affect the airflow.

We did a back to back comparison on the dyno on Brian Tooley's C5 with a vararam (sp?). He was running SD and we tried running an open throttle body vs the intake attatched and the open throttle body lost quite a bit of HP and ran rich compared to the dyno run with the intake attatched. The reason it ran rich is because it was in SD and calculates the airflow based on RPM and load. So it's a given parameter that doesn't 'measure' the airflow. It didn't get as much air but the PCM/VE was saying it was which is why it ran rich. Hope that made sense haha.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Somewhat of a prototype...i still need to make another better finished piece...This weather needs to clear up so i can do some ram air/lid testing...got some ideas rolling around that need to be tested...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Interested to see what some others say on this. I'll be working on the prototype some more today after I get the heads off the car, should have a working one by the end of the month in molded plastic. Good discussion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts