Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys insulated your enclosed trailer? I am thinking about using one for winter car storage this year, and I would like to put a small heater in it to keep the temp 40-45 degrees all winter long. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
This is just going to sit, right? The factory type insulation for the walls is only 1" thick, and has very little R-value. I think they make the walls and ceiling have a nice "thud" sound to them, but do little to help insulate. Here is what I did when we needed to keep our enclosed trailer heated on a job site. Go to your local commercial construction material place and get some 4x8 -2" or 3"thick sheets of "polyiso" rigid roof insulation and line to inside walls and ceiling with it. I stood them up and used the walls pieces to hold up the ceiling pieces, basically made a box inside the box with no fasteners and easily removed. Worked great, and if you check out some of your local roofers, maybe they have some laying around for cheap.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
This is just going to sit, right? The factory type insulation for the walls is only 1" thick, and has very little R-value. I think they make the walls and ceiling have a nice "thud" sound to them, but do little to help insulate. Here is what I did when we needed to keep our enclosed trailer heated on a job site. Go to your local commercial construction material place and get some 4x8 -2" or 3"thick sheets of "polyiso" rigid roof insulation and line to inside walls and ceiling with it. I stood them up and used the walls pieces to hold up the ceiling pieces, basically made a box inside the box with no fasteners and easily removed. Worked great, and if you check out some of your local roofers, maybe they have some laying around for cheap.
This is a very cool idea....especially for a temporary deal. You could double it up if you wanted. The floor would be the biggest loss at that point.

·
Registered
918 Posts
My 32' carmate gooseneck came with 1 1/2" squared tube side wall studs and I got a hell of a deal on a bunch of 2" foam board insulation so I ended up using some 1/2" furring strips to make up the difference on each stud. I then used some nice 2 1/2" long drill point screws I found at Home Cheapo with a wide head normally used for stucco mesh. They had a nice zinc coating and look great. I used them to secure the whiteboard I used on the interior of the trailer. The 2" insulation had an R factor of 11 and I did the walls and ceiling with it. It holds the heat nice in the winter and its awesome in the summer with the AC running also. I am SSSOOOO glad i did it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
We used the R paneling for our enclosed. Just put it in and clean the edges of the metal walls and use the foil a/c tape to seal it up. When we were working in it after it was insulated it was 35 outside and the little space heater we had in there, was enough for us to be in shorts and t shirts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies! It would be just sitting in the winter with a car in it. You guys that are using the foam insulation between the metal studs, do you have any issues with the metal stud transfering the cold outside temperature to the inside, or the warm inside temperature to the outside (snow melting and turning to ice in those areas)? I was thinking of doing that, but I was concerned that the sheet metal outside, touching the metal stud, would transfer the temperature and possibly cause condensation to form inside the walls and ceiling. Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts