Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the ic set at 35" long and 9.5" high. what is everyones opinion on that length and height?
car has 116" wheel base. does a car with a long wheel base need a longer ic?

car is stock style suspenion with afco/mencers on all four corners. running a 275 radial tire. car weighs around 3250 with driver

·
Registered
52 Posts
Very interested in hearing some opinions about this on a stock suspension car using a radial. I know on a long wheel base Pro Mod 4-link car thaty would be entirely too short and high. Can anyone give this guy and myself some help here? Thanks!

Eric

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
Don't know what will work yet but can definitely tell you what doesn't. We fought the 275 pro tire through the week. Had the class standard 55% on the nose and even got a loaner set of mark mencer coilovers. Kept knocking the tire off. We will figure it out but have some other adjustments to make before we do. Will keep yall posted

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
We tried it at 35" long and 9.75 high and couldn't get it to work good that short. But we also was having issues with the engine not making power off the line like it should have. Im going back to a longer set up. I figured out that if i raise the car up a tad and lower the lower control arm on the axle i can get it to 42" long and 12" high.
Also going to scale the car before we take it back out and see what the % is. Never been scaled but im sure its close to 55% or less in the front.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I've run almost the same IC in my Malibu in the past and it worked just fine. Granted you have a longer wheelbase. At 3000 lbs mine would go mid/low teen 60's with a n/a bbc setup on the 275 pro tire. I also ran 54 to 55% on the nose at times.

12" is way too high IMO.

There is no magic perfect IC. Get it close then work with shocks, gearing and power management.

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
Think we fought a lot of things at ducks. Seems that it wants to transfer with more bite but also is a bit violent off the brake.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've run almost the same IC in my Malibu in the past and it worked just fine. Granted you have a longer wheelbase. At 3000 lbs mine would go mid/low teen 60's with a n/a bbc setup on the 275 pro tire. I also ran 54 to 55% on the nose at times.

12" is way too high IMO.

There is no magic perfect IC. Get it close then work with shocks, gearing and power management.
im gonna give this setup another try and see what it does. is 55% a good starting point? going to put it on scales this week. i think alot of our problem was the engine stumbling off the line and when the power came in it would spin. 275 dot radial tire. i think we wasnt hitting them hard enough off the line

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
im gonna give this setup another try and see what it does. is 55% a good starting point? going to put it on scales this week. i think alot of our problem was the engine stumbling off the line and when the power came in it would spin. 275 dot radial tire. i think we wasnt hitting them hard enough off the line
55% is pretty heavy on the nose. I went that way when I was having wheel stand issues and struggling with the shocks controlling the wheelie height. Once I put Santhuff's on I was able to knock the front percentage down to 53%.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
55% is pretty heavy on the nose. I went that way when I was having wheel stand issues and struggling with the shocks controlling the wheelie height. Once I put Santhuff's on I was able to knock the front percentage down to 53%.
im curious what itll be. may be less than 55% now. its got a all aluminum sbc but does have dry sump oil tank and oil filter up front, small radiator but the water pump is mounted to the radiator. only fiberglass is the bumpers and hood. weighed 3225 with me in it on the track scales last time out

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Think we fought a lot of things at ducks. Seems that it wants to transfer with more bite but also is a bit violent off the brake.
our car was kinda violent like that when we had I.C. really short. shorter than it is now lol

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
Mines in the 40" range now, dropping nose weight and moving some parts around now

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mines in the 40" range now, dropping nose weight and moving some parts around now
We had good luck running our car around 40" too. We're gonna put it on the scales tonight and see where its at. What front % are you going to shoot for?

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
Think we are backing up to 51 and give it a shot

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well just got done scaling the car and ours is at 51% in the front by our calculations.
LF 850lbs. RF 815lbs.
LR 810lbs. RR 790lbs.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What do you guys think of the scaling results? Is it close? This car goes straight as an arrow down the track. The only problem we have is sometimes it doesn't hook off the line. I think we're close on the suspension being right. We just need to get better at reading the track conditions and work on power management

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
There is no set number for AS, IC/L and IC/H. Every car is different. You have to experiment with different setting.

Some givens:
- IC/H should be below CG
- High AS, you need good shocks

Billy T.
[email protected]

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is no set number for AS, IC/L and IC/H. Every car is different. You have to experiment with different setting.

Some givens:
- IC/H should be below CG
- High AS, you need good shocks

Billy T.
[email protected]
I usually try something different everytime we go to the track. Thats good to know about the height needing to be below the CG. I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip. I think the AS is about 177% now

1 - 19 of 19 Posts