Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We’re in the process of setting up our outlaw 10.5 car’s suspension. It’s a 4 link, and had a couple questions. First of all, our motor sits low enough in the car that the drive shaft actually goes up towards the back of the car @ about 2.5 degrees. Is this normal/ok? If so, what should we set the pinion angle at?

We set the rake of the car, 1” down in the front. When we scaled the car w/ ready to run conditions, the rear driver’s side wheel was heavier than the right, and the front passenger’s side wheel was heavier than the left. I believe the rear difference was about 60lbs and the front was about 100lbs. The car’s 2800lbs, 45% rear, 55% front distribution, cg is 15.5” off the ground. I have a 4 link program to see where the ic’s are. We tried to equal the weights by the spanner nut on the springs, but that caused the 4 link to do weird things and bind up.

Can someone point us in the right direction on how to even out the rear’s and front’s? How big a deal is it that they’re off? And a recommendation on where to place the instant center would be awesome! Not looking for secrets, just need a starting point. New car, new setup, scared driver. ;)

Josh

·
Registered
698 Posts
spring seats should all be the same to start with does this have arb? was that with driver in the car? how much power?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does have an anti-roll bar. Driver was not in the car, but had simulated weight in the seat. Car has a blown alcohol hemi, 1800-2000hp.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Dont use the shock spanner rings to move weight around. The driveshaft going uphill to the rearend is normal. Set your pinion 1-2* down hill. Under acceleration, this should put the pinion and driveline close to 0* difference(making a straight line out of the two). You seem a little light on the rear, percentage wise, but thats not saying it wont work. I personally wouldnt worry about the weight differences from left to right. Is there anything mounted on the heavy side in the front? If so, try to move it.
I would leave it as is, and hit the track(maybe put a small amount of pre-load in it, but Im not sure I would even do that). See what it does. Im a believer in doing what works...nobody can have a definite answer as to what WILL work for any particular car. Send the car down the track a couple times, and make adjustments from there.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
And if anyone wonders why so many outlaw cars end up in a wall the OP has the answer. But I am sure the track will get the blame for being slick.
I have done my share of playing with a chassis but will readily admit I would be looking for professional help with that much HP.
Please please take that car to a shop that knows what to do and pay them to help.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Flyboy, where are you located at??

In an outlaw 10.5 car the rear weights should be left side heavy, with a blown hemi with that much power you will be going left with even rear weight..

you can use rear spring seats to make slight adjustment for fixing ride height and weight but not to make major changes

You have to un hook your ARB to make any adjustments when the changes are made hook the ARB back up and and adjust..

If you want to give me a call

918-697-8212.. Jeff Holloway

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeff, we're in wichita, ks. close to ya. I'd love to give ya a call...would tomorrow work? (tuesday) what time's best?

Josh

·
REBUILDING
10,877 Posts
And if anyone wonders why so many outlaw cars end up in a wall the OP has the answer. But I am sure the track will get the blame for being slick.
I have done my share of playing with a chassis but will readily admit I would be looking for professional help with that much HP.
Please please take that car to a shop that knows what to do and pay them to help.
Bump

1 - 11 of 11 Posts