Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Unfortunately for you guys, I don't think it's a matter of informing them up front. It's a great idea and the few who respect it, it will help. The real issue you are dealing with is respect for your work. My guess is 95% of the people stealing your work will do it whether warned or not and only take them down when asked. I'm on your side but a tough battle.

People steal our tuning all the time. Unfortunately, we really have no recourse at all when that happens.

·
Co-Founder E3xtreme.com
6,896 Posts
Unfortunately for you guys, I don't think it's a matter of informing them up front. It's a great idea and the few who respect it, it will help. The real issue you are dealing with is respect for your work. My guess is 95% of the people stealing your work will do it whether warned or not and only take them down when asked. I'm on your side but a tough battle.

People steal our tuning all the time. Unfortunately, we really have no recourse at all when that happens.
Isn't there some kind of intellectual rights on the tuning? I would think there must be something.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Isn't there some kind of intellectual rights on the tuning? I would think there must be something.

Possibly but there is really no way you could prove it and it's obviously more involved. Anyway looking at a picture (including a judge) could probably tell when it's the same picture. No so easy to do when you are talking about what amounts to software piracy and a bunch of numbers.

·
Co-Founder E3xtreme.com
6,896 Posts
Possibly but there is really no way you could prove it and it's obviously more involved. Anyway looking at a picture (including a judge) could probably tell when it's the same picture. No so easy to do when you are talking about what amounts to software piracy and a bunch of numbers.
Is there anyway to embed proprietary things into the software so that others can't rip it off or pass it off as their tune?

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Just a question here but what happens when you buy a picture then take a picture of that picture? If you own the picture is that still illegal?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Just a question here but what happens when you buy a picture then take a picture of that picture? If you own the picture is that still illegal?
NO! When you purchase a print, that is exactly and ONLY what you have purchased. I believe Lonnie covered some of this earlier.

Unless you have also purchased reproduction rights, that print in your hand is all you are legally entitled to.

Not too many years ago, drivers/teams would purchase prints for their crew and sponsors. If they forgot a person ot two, they would come back and purchase those additional ones from the photographer. A decent photographer would discount multiple purchases of the same print.

In today's world it often happens like this. They will purchase a single print and then make the other copies. Sometimes it's their kid or a neighbor's kid or someone at the office who will scan and make those prints. They will also go to Walmart and get it scanned there. HOWEVER: Walmart has been through enough court cases that they watch pretty closely. If an image has "Billy Bob's Photography" as a photo credit in a lower corner, they usually will refuse to make reprints.

It is always a good idea to ALWAYS add a small photo credit into the corner of prints you sell. ALSO: On the back of the print you should have a label with something like "COPYRIGHTED Material - Billy Bob's Photography - DO NOT DUPLICATE." Yep, more time and expense! Are you sure you want to be a photographer?

One guy who shoots a lot of dirt ovals around here posts 300-400 images on Facebook after events. His work isn't top flight but it's not terrible either. He puts a photo credit on the bottom using a thin outline font. You can barely see the credit on most images and it would be easily cropped off. NOW, heres the crazy part. When you talk to him in the infield he is always complaining about how he cannot afford to buy better equipment. Well, Douh!! I wonder why.

The sad part is it affects everyone else who shoots there too. :smt068

·
Registered
20,372 Posts
Pretty much, since you are copying copyrighted work...

You want use of the image, purchase it. We don't stand out there all day to have our art ripped off and used without permission.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
I was basicly asking because I'm not a photographier by no means at all. I do stuff on the side and basicly I did a wedding one time for X amount of dollars. I gave them all rights to film I had taken. My wife had taken pictures also but wasn't part of the deal. Years later we went through the wedding pictures and there were numerous pictures taken by my wife. I was unhappy about it and found out my wife actually made a couple of her pictures to the wife's mother in law for a fee without a reciet* spelling. There was numerous copies of the same pictures even though she only gave her mother in law one couple of each and only certain pictures....

I don't have the computer skills to put my name over the pictures nor do I think I'm good enough with a camera.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Here is what I have had to do and I don't even sell stuff.

I got tired of seeing my stuff being used without permission. I feel it takes away from the photo but it gets the point across. :-D

·
Registered
20,372 Posts
What is necessary to prove a photo is yours in situations like this?

FYI I suggest folks check out that facebook page for other photos used without permission...

thanks

·
Co-Founder E3xtreme.com
6,896 Posts
What is necessary to prove a photo is yours in situations like this?

FYI I suggest folks check out that facebook page for other photos used without permission...

thanks
I looked through all their wall photos and didn't see any of mine, but I didn't look too close yet.

·
Registered
20,372 Posts
If you have the original it should not be that hard. For Future if you register the copyright, it would be really easy to prove it.
Yeah but whats the procedure? I mean I'm not going to send anyone an original pic to prove they are using it without permission...

I have not dealt with this before in a serious manner, thanks

21 - 40 of 61 Posts