Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new in the box Crane HI-7 Fireball ignition system, complete with box, coil, separate digital programmer, Mallory capacitor, wire loom, and instructions for the controller. Yea I know its old, but still "new". (There was also an HI-8 made, which I have seen.)
I would like help knowing more about this system. Is it usable as is? Someone told me it had to be "Programed" before it could be used. Someone else told me it was the forerunner of FAST ignitions. All I remember about them is they were supposed to be reliable, powerful and I saw one in a Pro Stock car once. It has "Mag" + and - " on terminal board and also "POINTS", so can a distributor be used or crank trigger?

Box. Says FIREBALL on it. part# 7000-7220
Coil PS92 #730-0092
Digital Programmer #9000-0007

Any company or individual that has experience with them that I could reach out to?

· Registered
23 Posts
I bought a FAST 6000-6405 in 2019, now obsolete. So on research mode found a HI 6 by Crane very similar. Hope the unit is trouble free time will tell, getting closer to trying to start. While looking for info on the Crane I never saw anything about Hi 7

· Registered
287 Posts
The HI-7 is a monster of a box as far as output but they didn't use the same rating terminology as most other companies so it's hard to get a good comparison. They can draw up to 25 amps at high revs and I had a writer for NMRA Race Pages who did a great ignition shootout article tell me it would almost match an MSD 8 for power. Crane's stuff always seemed much more reliable than MSD and it looks like the same HI-6 boxes are being sold now under a couple different names. It can be used as is with the white wire but there was a separate box that was used for a couple rev limit functions. I also have a never used 7 and an HI-6 that I would love to use someday as a street box/strip box setup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts