Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Indiana passes bill to DRUG TEST welfare recipients !!

5K views 75 replies 57 participants last post by  TRZ Jon 
#1 ·
#17 ·
You got that right!! Hope this sets a precedence!

#11 · (Edited)
And it will end up costing taxpayers 1.2 Million every year in the end for all the tests. This was NOT in this article but here are the money #'s

The House approved the bill despite a legislative staff financial analysis that showed the state would spend $2.7 million on the program to possibly the save the state $1.5 million in denied benefits. That means the state would lose $1.2 million next year if the bill were to become law.

#46 ·
Those numbers dont seem to make sense to me.

Even if it cost a grand per drug test....thats 1200 test that they can afford to give at 1.2 mil.

Thats a LOT for a drug test

some info I found says the average welfare payment for a family of four is 346 a month. Combined with 668 in food stamps, about 1,014 a month is available.

So....out of the 1200 people tested.....say 300 people cant pass. 25%. I dunno maybe thats a high estimate. Then again...maybe its low.

How long do they lose benefits for? Say....they arent eligible for 6 months.

300 people at 1014 a month times 6 months makes for a savings of 1,825,200.

Now you spent 1.2 mil to save that 1.8 so its roughly a 600k real world savings.

Keep in mind though....I used a super high estimate for the cost of the drug test ;)

in reality the test is going to be cheaper by a large amount. So even if less fail.....if they collect anywhere near the average per month...it will be a big savings.

And just to expound further... What if a percentage of those folks losing their assistance actually go out and get work!

Add just a percentage of those people back in to the work force and have them pay taxes, instead of receive taxes......and indirectly.....state revenue grows even further.

And you and I know.....PLENTY of those people are capable of work, and some of them will start to work if they absolutely have to.

Unless the analyst anticipates that very very few people will fail(or get caught)....then I wonder how they came up with the figure that they lose welfare.

#18 ·
Great start.

#23 ·
Like it was stated earlier, Florida passed a law and it was struck down, but I do not think it hit the Supreme Court yet.

I totally agree with it. I had to take a piss test to work, can have a random drug test at work also, so can people that get free money from the Government. Long way to go on this issue, but States are coming around to it.

#26 ·
This state does a lot of good things and is well run

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.